Connecting to sqlserver2003 on windows server 2003 from asp.net on windows server2003

Vinod R.Shenoy

Hi All,

Came across a post wherin you had helped somebody with a similar
problem and was wondering if you could help us out with it.

Our problem is ,

We have a development SQL Server 2000 (running on Win2K SP4) machine
that we want to run on a Windows 2003 server machine and access it via
our internal LAN. We have opened the firewall to allow our applications
on the LAN to connect to SQL server in the machine.

The problem comes when we try to connect to SQL from the LAN from an
ASP.Net application running on another machine with windows 2003
server installed. In that case I get "SQL server does not exist..."
error. Connecting from Query analyzer with the same username and
password (sa and password) works fine.

if i have the asp.net application running on a Xp machine, then
connection is succesful.

even disabling the firewall did not help.

So to summarise:
I run the same connection code (and connection string) on the same
client machine to connect to a SQL Server 2000 database via a firewall
both on Windows 2003 server machines.
The ASP.Net application throws an error when run from the 2003 server
machine but runs succesfully if run from an Xp machine. The connection
code and connection string are identical.

Can you suggest why this is happening?

Bruno Alexandre

can you provide us with the connection string that you are using right now?

Vinod R.Shenoy

thanx for the reply. yes here is the connection string i use:

<add key="ConnectionString" value="user id=sa; password=masters;
initial catalog=PepsiCoPortal; server=asdosdbserver;" />

we have already tried using network library =dbmssocn

and impersonate =true also.
the problem is if i connect to the db on the 2003 machine from an xp
machine there is no issue at all.
but when my application from a windows 2003 machine connect to the db
on another 2003 machine,this problem arises.

also funnily enough, when we tried the same setup on some other 2003
machines(freshly formatted) there was no problem at all in connecting
!!!

but in quite a few 2003 machine pairs this problem occurs. please
advise .

Bruno Alexandre

try this website:

http://www.connectionstrings.com/

--

Bruno Alexandre
(a Portuguese in Københanv, Danmark)

"Vinod R.Shenoy" <[email protected]> escreveu na mensagem