copyright infringement by google

Jonathan N. Little

Doug said:
With all due respect, I think you don't have it yet.

What's the consequence of Apache reading .htaccess files *only* at startup?

Actually Apache does not read .htaccess files *only* at startup but at
run time. Change the .htaccess and the effect is immediate upon saving
the .htaccess file, no reloading of the server is required.

Doug Miller

With all due respect, I think you don't have it yet.

What's the consequence of Apache reading .htaccess files *only* at startup?

Actually Apache does not read .htaccess files *only* at startup but at
run time. Change the .htaccess and the effect is immediate upon saving
the .htaccess file, no reloading of the server is required.
[/QUOTE]
I think we're all aware of that. David was complaining about that behavior; I
was trying to help him figure why that behavior is desirable.

Jonathan N. Little

Doug said:
I think we're all aware of that. David was complaining about that behavior; I
was trying to help him figure why that behavior is desirable.

Sorry, after rereading the thread a few times I finally got the
flow...many statements were sort of conveyed as double negatives. Flip
me around there ;-)

David Raleigh Arnold

"Jonathan N. said:
I think we're all aware of that. David was complaining about that
behavior; I was trying to help him figure why that behavior is
desirable.

The docs whine about the loading and reloading of user's htaccess
files. If they were all read every 5 or 10 min. that problem
would go away for any server with what is now a decent amount
of memory.

What I thought you meant is that as a renter of space I shouldn't
care a rat's ass about slowing apache down a bit. :)
Regards, daveA

Doug Miller

The docs whine about the loading and reloading of user's htaccess
files. If they were all read every 5 or 10 min. that problem
would go away for any server with what is now a decent amount
of memory.

The "docs" ??
What I thought you meant is that as a renter of space I shouldn't
care a rat's ass about slowing apache down a bit. :)

Well, you shouldn't, but the real point is that if Apache read .htaccess
*only* at startup, you'd have to stop and restart Apache every time you added
a new .htaccess file, or made changes to an existing one. That's borderline
impractical on a development machine where you are developer, user, and
sysadmin all in one. It's totally unfeasible in any type of production
environment, especially shared hosting.

David Raleigh Arnold

The "docs" ??

Well, you shouldn't, but the real point is that if Apache read .htaccess
*only* at startup, you'd have to stop and restart Apache every time you
added a new .htaccess file, or made changes to an existing one. That's
borderline impractical on a development machine where you are developer,
user, and sysadmin all in one. It's totally unfeasible in any type of
production environment, especially shared hosting.

Yes, I get that part. Regards, daveA