Creating email input to hidden address.

DLU

Where can I find the form for creating the input box that you see for
sending email to someone without showing their email address?

Secondly, where can I find the instructions for creating the file that
holds those addresses, and finds the correct one when a user clicks on
the link to it.

--
***************************************
* This is the Spammish Inquisition *

DLU

DLU said:
Where can I find the form for creating the input box that you see for
sending email to someone without showing their email address?

Secondly, where can I find the instructions for creating the file that
holds those addresses, and finds the correct one when a user clicks on
the link to it.

--
***************************************
* This is the Spammish Inquisition *
* Not Lumber Cartel Unit 75 [TINLC] *
* I am not SPEWS.ORG *
***************************************

Raymond Schmit

php is your freind...

Just start a different php page (one page per mail adress)

May be i don't understand clearly what you try to achieve ...

Jonathan N. Little

DLU said:
Where can I find the form for creating the input box that you see for
sending email to someone without showing their email address?

Secondly, where can I find the instructions for creating the file that
holds those addresses, and finds the correct one when a user clicks on
the link to it.

If understand you correctly, on form use some TOKEN for each recipient

<select name="recipient">
<option value="moe">Moe</option>
<option value="larry">Larry</option>
<option value="curly">Curly</option>
</select>

Then in receiving *server-side* script link token with email...

switch( $_POST['recipient'] ){
case 'moe':
$to='(e-mail address removed)';
break;
case 'larry':
$to='(e-mail address removed)';
break;
case 'curly':
$to='(e-mail address removed)';
break;
default:
//hacking attempt
$to='(e-mail address removed)';
ReportToAdmin();

DLU

Raymond said:
php is your freind...

Just start a different php page (one page per mail adress)

May be i don't understand clearly what you try to achieve ...
At present I am using mailto: Wen you click on it it brings up the email
address. If the site is not behind a firewall the addresses are open to
web crawlers. Fortunately my main site is behind a firewall but several
of the people who are listed as contacts have expressed concern. When
you go to many sites and want to email someone, you get a box that says
send email to: with a name but no email address showing. Instead you
fill out the form and submit it.

http://home.surewest.net/bikesac/bikesac/

--
***************************************
* This is the Spammish Inquisition *
* Not Lumber Cartel Unit 75 [TINLC] *
* I am not SPEWS.ORG *
***************************************

Raymond Schmit

At present I am using mailto: Wen you click on it it brings up the email
address. If the site is not behind a firewall the addresses are open to
web crawlers. Fortunately my main site is behind a firewall but several
of the people who are listed as contacts have expressed concern. When
you go to many sites and want to email someone, you get a box that says
send email to: with a name but no email address showing. Instead you
fill out the form and submit it.

http://home.surewest.net/bikesac/bikesac/

i see on your page:

Your mailadress can be picked by a robot .....he can take it and place
it in a mailing list for spammers

To avoid this your email-adress can be obfuscated.

You may have alook at:
http://www.fingerlakesbmw.org/main/flobfuscate.php
or
http://www.codehouse.com/webmaster_tools/email_obfuscator/

all found with:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=obfuscate+email&aq=5&oq=obfuscate

John Hosking

Raymond said:
[...]

i see on your page:

Your mailadress can be picked by a robot .....he can take it and place
it in a mailing list for spammers

Knowing that, you would have been more helpful had you not repeated his
actual address here in Usenet. Now his address is recorded in
GoogleGroups and other archives for all posterity. I have munged his
address a bit above, as an example of what you might have done in your post.

Note that in Usenet, David posts with a different addy. I don't know if
it's valid or, if valid, whether he has access to the mailbox (or
somebody else deals with the spam sent there). Either way, it is
reasonable to assume he doesn't want the address you quoted to be, um,
quoted.
To avoid this your email-adress can be obfuscated.

It's not a guarantee for avoidance, just a still-useful means of
reduction. Spammers can still write/use code to de-obfuscate the
address. We're only "lucky" that spammers are too lazy to even spell
correctly, so they haven't bothered with de-obfuscators much.

Jukka K. Korpela

John said:
Knowing that, you would have been more helpful had you not repeated
his actual address here in Usenet.

Has this whining something to do with the topic of this group?

If you don't want to disclose even your own email address, as the Usenet
protocol requires, you have the option of staying out of Usenet. It would be
a better contribution than whining and off-topic postings.

ObHTML: I have even seen web pages that refuse to disclose the most
important contact information, an e-mail address, as text, yet contain it in
a mailto: URL (the most obvious place for harvesters to pick them up).
Clueless "spam protection" is a great way to protect yourself from contacts
from prospective customers.

dorayme

John Hosking said:
Raymond Schmit wrote:

It's not a guarantee for avoidance, just a still-useful means of
reduction. Spammers can still write/use code to de-obfuscate the
address. We're only "lucky" that spammers are too lazy to even spell
correctly, so they haven't bothered with de-obfuscators much.

Is it too pedantic to say it is not a matter of luck but an appreciation
of the stage we are in, in an arms race with spammers?

dorayme

"Jukka K. Korpela said:
Has this whining something to do with the topic of this group?

If you don't want to disclose even your own email address, as the Usenet
protocol requires, you have the option of staying out of Usenet. It would be
a better contribution than whining and off-topic postings.

There are a range of offences on earth. Not providing an email is way
lower than unnecessarily revealing someone else's. As for a criminal
like JH complaining about a different crime by someone else, there is
plenty of precedent. Pedophiles are loathed by many otherwise ruthless
thieves and murderers.

John Hosking

Jukka said:
Has this whining something to do with the topic of this group?

No, not really; it's more about netiquette and education of fellow posters.

Wait a minute: you don't mean to imply that providing advice,
corrections, or admonishments about how (not) to post in a group is
always OT and therefore to be avoided in every case, do you? Like when
somebody full-quotes? Or top-posts? Is such whining OT in your view?
If you don't want to disclose even your own email address, as the Usenet
protocol requires, you have the option of staying out of Usenet. It
would be a better contribution than whining and off-topic postings.

I believe my address to be disclosed fully enough for any reasonable NG
reader to make use of, supposing they thought me worthy of contacting by
e-mail in the first place, while avoiding the spam I used to get before
munging my From: header. Someday I may take the plunge and use an
unmunged address in my Reply-To: and see what I get.
ObHTML: I have even seen web pages that refuse to disclose the most
important contact information, an e-mail address, as text, yet contain
it in a mailto: URL (the most obvious place for harvesters to pick them
up). Clueless "spam protection" is a great way to protect yourself from
contacts from prospective customers.

Interesting enough, but that doesn't seem to be what either the OP or
Raymond Schmit were suggesting. OP wanted a form instead of a mailto:
link, Raymond offered encodings of the mailto: targets (and "mailto:"
itself). The addresses could still be easily accessible to all with such
suggestions, no?

John Hosking

dorayme said:
There are a range of offences on earth. Not providing an email is way
lower than unnecessarily revealing someone else's. As for a criminal
like JH complaining about a different crime by someone else, there is
plenty of precedent. Pedophiles are loathed by many otherwise ruthless
thieves and murderers.

Ouch.

I think you are projecting your Australian heritage on others again. Or,
uh, do you have access to my police record?

Raymond Schmit

Raymond said:
[...]

i see on your page:

Your mailadress can be picked by a robot .....he can take it and place
it in a mailing list for spammers

Knowing that, you would have been more helpful had you not repeated his
actual address here in Usenet. Now his address is recorded in
GoogleGroups and other archives for all posterity. I have munged his
address a bit above, as an example of what you might have done in your post.

You are true ..... I just discovered this bad action, just after
hitting the "transmit" key ....
...Apologies for my inadvertance

DLU

John said:
Raymond said:
[...]

i see on your page:

Your mailadress can be picked by a robot .....he can take it and place
it in a mailing list for spammers

Knowing that, you would have been more helpful had you not repeated his
actual address here in Usenet. Now his address is recorded in
GoogleGroups and other archives for all posterity. I have munged his
address a bit above, as an example of what you might have done in your
post.

Fortunately the sierraclub.org address is protected by Barracuda.
Note that in Usenet, David posts with a different addy. I don't know if
it's valid or, if valid, whether he has access to the mailbox (or
somebody else deals with the spam sent there). Either way, it is
reasonable to assume he doesn't want the address you quoted to be, um,
quoted.

The (e-mail address removed) is a valid address that the ISP owner uses to help
build his filters. Steve Sobol the owner is a long time anti spam
activist. If any of you are in his area and need a good ISP with god
anti spam protection, you might contact him, stever at justthe dot net.
Thanks for the concern. However that is one reason I want to be able to
put the addresses in the server, and get them off the site.

***************************************
* This is the Spammish Inquisition *
* Not Lumber Cartel Unit 75 [TINLC] *
* I am not SPEWS.ORG *
***************************************

Raymond Schmit

Thanks for the concern. However that is one reason I want to be able to
put the addresses in the server, and get them off the site.

You may create a form while the submit button starts a php page where
a mail is sent to your mailbox. Your mialadress is used by the php
coding without being present on the website.

DLU

Raymond said:
You may create a form while the submit button starts a php page where
a mail is sent to your mailbox. Your mialadress is used by the php
coding without being present on the website.

That is what I want to do. I just have not figured out how for now.
I can start a form so I guess I have to play with it for awhile.

--

DLU said:
That is what I want to do. I just have not figured out how for now.
I can start a form so I guess I have to play with it for awhile.

I showed you how, earlier in the thread.