Creating email input to hidden address.

Discussion in 'HTML' started by DLU, Feb 10, 2009.

  1. DLU

    DLU Guest

    Where can I find the form for creating the input box that you see for
    sending email to someone without showing their email address?

    Secondly, where can I find the instructions for creating the file that
    holds those addresses, and finds the correct one when a user clicks on
    the link to it.

    --
    ***************************************
    * This is the Spammish Inquisition *
    * Not Lumber Cartel Unit 75 [TINLC] *
    * I am not SPEWS.ORG *
    ***************************************
     
    DLU, Feb 10, 2009
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. DLU

    DLU Guest

    How can I create email forms with hidden addresses?

    DLU wrote:
    > Where can I find the form for creating the input box that you see for
    > sending email to someone without showing their email address?
    >
    > Secondly, where can I find the instructions for creating the file that
    > holds those addresses, and finds the correct one when a user clicks on
    > the link to it.
    >



    --
    ***************************************
    * This is the Spammish Inquisition *
    * Not Lumber Cartel Unit 75 [TINLC] *
    * I am not SPEWS.ORG *
    ***************************************
     
    DLU, Feb 13, 2009
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Re: How can I create email forms with hidden addresses?

    On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 18:00:42 -0800, DLU <> wrote:

    >DLU wrote:
    >> Where can I find the form for creating the input box that you see for
    >> sending email to someone without showing their email address?
    >>

    php is your freind...

    >> Secondly, where can I find the instructions for creating the file that
    >> holds those addresses, and finds the correct one when a user clicks on
    >> the link to it.


    Just start a different php page (one page per mail adress)


    May be i don't understand clearly what you try to achieve ...
     
    Raymond Schmit, Feb 13, 2009
    #3
  4. DLU wrote:
    > Where can I find the form for creating the input box that you see for
    > sending email to someone without showing their email address?
    >
    > Secondly, where can I find the instructions for creating the file that
    > holds those addresses, and finds the correct one when a user clicks on
    > the link to it.
    >


    If understand you correctly, on form use some TOKEN for each recipient

    <select name="recipient">
    <option value="moe">Moe</option>
    <option value="larry">Larry</option>
    <option value="curly">Curly</option>
    </select>

    Then in receiving *server-side* script link token with email...


    switch( $_POST['recipient'] ){
    case 'moe':
    $to='';
    break;
    case 'larry':
    $to='';
    break;
    case 'curly':
    $to='';
    break;
    default:
    //hacking attempt
    $to='';
    ReportToAdmin();
    ...
    }

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
     
    Jonathan N. Little, Feb 13, 2009
    #4
  5. DLU

    DLU Guest

    Re: How can I create email forms with hidden addresses?

    Raymond Schmit wrote:
    > On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 18:00:42 -0800, DLU <> wrote:
    >
    >> DLU wrote:
    >>> Where can I find the form for creating the input box that you see for
    >>> sending email to someone without showing their email address?
    >>>

    > php is your freind...
    >
    >>> Secondly, where can I find the instructions for creating the file that
    >>> holds those addresses, and finds the correct one when a user clicks on
    >>> the link to it.

    >
    > Just start a different php page (one page per mail adress)
    >
    >
    > May be i don't understand clearly what you try to achieve ...
    >

    At present I am using mailto: Wen you click on it it brings up the email
    address. If the site is not behind a firewall the addresses are open to
    web crawlers. Fortunately my main site is behind a firewall but several
    of the people who are listed as contacts have expressed concern. When
    you go to many sites and want to email someone, you get a box that says
    send email to: with a name but no email address showing. Instead you
    fill out the form and submit it.

    http://home.surewest.net/bikesac/bikesac/



    --
    ***************************************
    * This is the Spammish Inquisition *
    * Not Lumber Cartel Unit 75 [TINLC] *
    * I am not SPEWS.ORG *
    ***************************************
     
    DLU, Feb 13, 2009
    #5
  6. DLU

    dorayme Guest

    Re: How can I create email forms with hidden addresses?

    In article <b0135$4995d068$439f9013$>,
    DLU <> wrote:

    > At present I am using mailto:


    btw, if forms are too hard for you or you are not happy somehow with
    them, you can get a fair bit of relief from spam by using a munger. Here
    is one:

    <http://www.addressmunger.com/>

    --
    dorayme
     
    dorayme, Feb 13, 2009
    #6
  7. Re: How can I create email forms with hidden addresses?

    On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 11:56:24 -0800, DLU <> wrote:

    >Raymond Schmit wrote:
    >> On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 18:00:42 -0800, DLU <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> DLU wrote:
    >>>> Where can I find the form for creating the input box that you see for
    >>>> sending email to someone without showing their email address?
    >>>>

    >> php is your freind...
    >>
    >>>> Secondly, where can I find the instructions for creating the file that
    >>>> holds those addresses, and finds the correct one when a user clicks on
    >>>> the link to it.

    >>
    >> Just start a different php page (one page per mail adress)
    >>
    >>
    >> May be i don't understand clearly what you try to achieve ...
    >>

    >At present I am using mailto: Wen you click on it it brings up the email
    >address. If the site is not behind a firewall the addresses are open to
    >web crawlers. Fortunately my main site is behind a firewall but several
    >of the people who are listed as contacts have expressed concern. When
    >you go to many sites and want to email someone, you get a box that says
    >send email to: with a name but no email address showing. Instead you
    >fill out the form and submit it.
    >
    >http://home.surewest.net/bikesac/bikesac/


    i see on your page:
    <a href="mailto:<David Underwood>">

    Your mailadress can be picked by a robot .....he can take it and place
    it in a mailing list for spammers

    To avoid this your email-adress can be obfuscated.

    You may have alook at:
    http://www.fingerlakesbmw.org/main/flobfuscate.php
    or
    http://www.codehouse.com/webmaster_tools/email_obfuscator/

    all found with:
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=obfuscate email&aq=5&oq=obfuscate
     
    Raymond Schmit, Feb 14, 2009
    #7
  8. Re: How can I create email forms with hidden addresses?

    On Sat, 14 Feb 2009 08:51:21 +1100, dorayme
    <> wrote:

    >In article <b0135$4995d068$439f9013$>,
    > DLU <> wrote:
    >
    >> At present I am using mailto:

    >
    >btw, if forms are too hard for you or you are not happy somehow with
    >them, you can get a fair bit of relief from spam by using a munger. Here
    >is one:
    >
    ><http://www.addressmunger.com/>



    VERY good ....
     
    Raymond Schmit, Feb 14, 2009
    #8
  9. DLU

    John Hosking Guest

    Re: How can I create email forms with hidden addresses?

    Raymond Schmit wrote:
    > On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 11:56:24 -0800, DLU <> wrote:
    >

    [...]
    >> http://home.surewest.net/bikesac/bikesac/

    >
    > i see on your page:
    > <a href="mailto:<David Underwood>">
    >
    > Your mailadress can be picked by a robot .....he can take it and place
    > it in a mailing list for spammers


    Knowing that, you would have been more helpful had you not repeated his
    actual address here in Usenet. Now his address is recorded in
    GoogleGroups and other archives for all posterity. I have munged his
    address a bit above, as an example of what you might have done in your post.

    Note that in Usenet, David posts with a different addy. I don't know if
    it's valid or, if valid, whether he has access to the mailbox (or
    somebody else deals with the spam sent there). Either way, it is
    reasonable to assume he doesn't want the address you quoted to be, um,
    quoted.

    >
    > To avoid this your email-adress can be obfuscated.


    It's not a guarantee for avoidance, just a still-useful means of
    reduction. Spammers can still write/use code to de-obfuscate the
    address. We're only "lucky" that spammers are too lazy to even spell
    correctly, so they haven't bothered with de-obfuscators much.


    --
    John
    Wenn du siehst was ich meine...
     
    John Hosking, Feb 14, 2009
    #9
  10. Re: How can I create email forms with hidden addresses?

    John Hosking wrote:

    > Knowing that, you would have been more helpful had you not repeated
    > his actual address here in Usenet.


    Has this whining something to do with the topic of this group?

    If you don't want to disclose even your own email address, as the Usenet
    protocol requires, you have the option of staying out of Usenet. It would be
    a better contribution than whining and off-topic postings.

    ObHTML: I have even seen web pages that refuse to disclose the most
    important contact information, an e-mail address, as text, yet contain it in
    a mailto: URL (the most obvious place for harvesters to pick them up).
    Clueless "spam protection" is a great way to protect yourself from contacts
    from prospective customers.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
     
    Jukka K. Korpela, Feb 14, 2009
    #10
  11. DLU

    dorayme Guest

    Re: How can I create email forms with hidden addresses?

    In article <>,
    John Hosking <> wrote:

    > Raymond Schmit wrote:


    > >
    > > To avoid this your email-adress can be obfuscated.

    >
    > It's not a guarantee for avoidance, just a still-useful means of
    > reduction. Spammers can still write/use code to de-obfuscate the
    > address. We're only "lucky" that spammers are too lazy to even spell
    > correctly, so they haven't bothered with de-obfuscators much.


    Is it too pedantic to say it is not a matter of luck but an appreciation
    of the stage we are in, in an arms race with spammers?

    --
    dorayme
     
    dorayme, Feb 14, 2009
    #11
  12. DLU

    dorayme Guest

    Re: How can I create email forms with hidden addresses?

    In article <AMEll.2014$>,
    "Jukka K. Korpela" <> wrote:

    > John Hosking wrote:
    >
    > > Knowing that, you would have been more helpful had you not repeated
    > > his actual address here in Usenet.

    >
    > Has this whining something to do with the topic of this group?
    >
    > If you don't want to disclose even your own email address, as the Usenet
    > protocol requires, you have the option of staying out of Usenet. It would be
    > a better contribution than whining and off-topic postings.


    There are a range of offences on earth. Not providing an email is way
    lower than unnecessarily revealing someone else's. As for a criminal
    like JH complaining about a different crime by someone else, there is
    plenty of precedent. Pedophiles are loathed by many otherwise ruthless
    thieves and murderers.

    --
    dorayme
     
    dorayme, Feb 14, 2009
    #12
  13. DLU

    John Hosking Guest

    OT: (Was: How can I create email forms with hidden addresses?)

    Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
    > John Hosking wrote:
    >
    >> Knowing that, you would have been more helpful had you not repeated
    >> his actual address here in Usenet.

    >
    > Has this whining something to do with the topic of this group?


    No, not really; it's more about netiquette and education of fellow posters.

    Wait a minute: you don't mean to imply that providing advice,
    corrections, or admonishments about how (not) to post in a group is
    always OT and therefore to be avoided in every case, do you? Like when
    somebody full-quotes? Or top-posts? Is such whining OT in your view?

    >
    > If you don't want to disclose even your own email address, as the Usenet
    > protocol requires, you have the option of staying out of Usenet. It
    > would be a better contribution than whining and off-topic postings.


    I believe my address to be disclosed fully enough for any reasonable NG
    reader to make use of, supposing they thought me worthy of contacting by
    e-mail in the first place, while avoiding the spam I used to get before
    munging my From: header. Someday I may take the plunge and use an
    unmunged address in my Reply-To: and see what I get.

    >
    > ObHTML: I have even seen web pages that refuse to disclose the most
    > important contact information, an e-mail address, as text, yet contain
    > it in a mailto: URL (the most obvious place for harvesters to pick them
    > up). Clueless "spam protection" is a great way to protect yourself from
    > contacts from prospective customers.
    >


    Interesting enough, but that doesn't seem to be what either the OP or
    Raymond Schmit were suggesting. OP wanted a form instead of a mailto:
    link, Raymond offered encodings of the mailto: targets (and "mailto:"
    itself). The addresses could still be easily accessible to all with such
    suggestions, no?


    --
    John
    Trying to combat cluelessness in my own insignificant way.
     
    John Hosking, Feb 15, 2009
    #13
  14. DLU

    John Hosking Guest

    OT: Relative Crimes (was: How can I create email forms with hiddenaddresses?)

    dorayme wrote:
    > In article <AMEll.2014$>,
    > "Jukka K. Korpela" <> wrote:
    >
    >>
    >> If you don't want to disclose even your own email address, as the Usenet
    >> protocol requires, you have the option of staying out of Usenet. It would be
    >> a better contribution than whining and off-topic postings.

    >
    > There are a range of offences on earth. Not providing an email is way
    > lower than unnecessarily revealing someone else's. As for a criminal
    > like JH complaining about a different crime by someone else, there is
    > plenty of precedent. Pedophiles are loathed by many otherwise ruthless
    > thieves and murderers.
    >


    Ouch.

    I think you are projecting your Australian heritage on others again. Or,
    uh, do you have access to my police record?

    --
    John
    Great. Now I have to move and change my name *again*.
     
    John Hosking, Feb 15, 2009
    #14
  15. DLU

    dorayme Guest

    Re: OT: Relative Crimes (was: How can I create email forms with hidden addresses?)

    In article <4997a33a$>,
    John Hosking <> wrote:

    > dorayme wrote:

    ....
    > uh, do you have access to my police record?


    Kompleet ackcess to all ze records!

    --
    dorayme
     
    dorayme, Feb 15, 2009
    #15
  16. Re: How can I create email forms with hidden addresses?

    On Sat, 14 Feb 2009 18:39:22 +0100, John Hosking
    <> wrote:

    >Raymond Schmit wrote:
    >> On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 11:56:24 -0800, DLU <> wrote:
    >>

    >[...]
    >>> http://home.surewest.net/bikesac/bikesac/

    >>
    >> i see on your page:
    >> <a href="mailto:<David Underwood>">
    >>
    >> Your mailadress can be picked by a robot .....he can take it and place
    >> it in a mailing list for spammers

    >
    >Knowing that, you would have been more helpful had you not repeated his
    >actual address here in Usenet. Now his address is recorded in
    >GoogleGroups and other archives for all posterity. I have munged his
    >address a bit above, as an example of what you might have done in your post.
    >


    You are true ..... I just discovered this bad action, just after
    hitting the "transmit" key ....
    ...Apologies for my inadvertance
     
    Raymond Schmit, Feb 16, 2009
    #16
  17. DLU

    DLU Guest

    Re: How can I create email forms with hidden addresses?

    John Hosking wrote:
    > Raymond Schmit wrote:
    >> On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 11:56:24 -0800, DLU <> wrote:
    >>

    > [...]
    >>> http://home.surewest.net/bikesac/bikesac/

    >>
    >> i see on your page:
    >> <a href="mailto:<David Underwood>">
    >>
    >> Your mailadress can be picked by a robot .....he can take it and place
    >> it in a mailing list for spammers

    >
    > Knowing that, you would have been more helpful had you not repeated his
    > actual address here in Usenet. Now his address is recorded in
    > GoogleGroups and other archives for all posterity. I have munged his
    > address a bit above, as an example of what you might have done in your
    > post.


    Fortunately the sierraclub.org address is protected by Barracuda.
    >
    > Note that in Usenet, David posts with a different addy. I don't know if
    > it's valid or, if valid, whether he has access to the mailbox (or
    > somebody else deals with the spam sent there). Either way, it is
    > reasonable to assume he doesn't want the address you quoted to be, um,
    > quoted.


    The is a valid address that the ISP owner uses to help
    build his filters. Steve Sobol the owner is a long time anti spam
    activist. If any of you are in his area and need a good ISP with god
    anti spam protection, you might contact him, stever at justthe dot net.
    >
    >>


    Thanks for the concern. However that is one reason I want to be able to
    put the addresses in the server, and get them off the site.


    ***************************************
    * This is the Spammish Inquisition *
    * Not Lumber Cartel Unit 75 [TINLC] *
    * I am not SPEWS.ORG *
    ***************************************
     
    DLU, Feb 16, 2009
    #17
  18. Re: How can I create email forms with hidden addresses?

    On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 13:05:32 -0800, DLU <> wrote:


    >
    >Thanks for the concern. However that is one reason I want to be able to
    >put the addresses in the server, and get them off the site.
    >


    You may create a form while the submit button starts a php page where
    a mail is sent to your mailbox. Your mialadress is used by the php
    coding without being present on the website.
     
    Raymond Schmit, Feb 16, 2009
    #18
  19. DLU

    DLU Guest

    Re: How can I create email forms with hidden addresses?

    Raymond Schmit wrote:
    > On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 13:05:32 -0800, DLU <> wrote:
    >
    >
    >> Thanks for the concern. However that is one reason I want to be able to
    >> put the addresses in the server, and get them off the site.
    >>

    >
    > You may create a form while the submit button starts a php page where
    > a mail is sent to your mailbox. Your mialadress is used by the php
    > coding without being present on the website.


    That is what I want to do. I just have not figured out how for now.
    I can start a form so I guess I have to play with it for awhile.

    --
    ***************************************
    * This is the Spammish Inquisition *
    * Not Lumber Cartel Unit 75 [TINLC] *
    * I am not SPEWS.ORG *
    ***************************************
     
    DLU, Feb 16, 2009
    #19
  20. Re: How can I create email forms with hidden addresses?

    DLU wrote:
    > Raymond Schmit wrote:
    >> On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 13:05:32 -0800, DLU <> wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>> Thanks for the concern. However that is one reason I want to be able
    >>> to put the addresses in the server, and get them off the site.
    >>>

    >>
    >> You may create a form while the submit button starts a php page where
    >> a mail is sent to your mailbox. Your mialadress is used by the php
    >> coding without being present on the website.

    >
    > That is what I want to do. I just have not figured out how for now.
    > I can start a form so I guess I have to play with it for awhile.
    >


    I showed you how, earlier in the thread.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
     
    Jonathan N. Little, Feb 17, 2009
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Replies:
    2
    Views:
    5,917
  2. Zeynel
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    567
    alex23
    Dec 6, 2010
  3. Walter
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    242
    Bob Barrows [MVP]
    Sep 17, 2004
  4. John N. Alegre

    Valid email address from CGI input?

    John N. Alegre, Mar 7, 2006, in forum: Ruby
    Replies:
    12
    Views:
    270
    Julian I. Kamil
    Mar 8, 2006
  5. Replies:
    5
    Views:
    261
    Dr John Stockton
    Dec 23, 2005
Loading...

Share This Page