OK, Next Question.

Discussion in 'HTML' started by DLU, Dec 19, 2008.

  1. DLU

    DLU Guest

    <li>

    I want to make the link read Tuylome and on a mouse over to show Saving
    Putah & Cach Creeks

    As such:
    <li>

    Mouse over to read Saving Putah & Cach Creeks.

    I will remove the target="_blank" from the surewest site.

    --
    ***************************************
    * This is the Spammish Inquisition *

    DLU, Dec 19, 2008

  2. DLU

    DLU Guest

    DLU wrote:
    > <li>
    >
    > I want to make the link read Tuylome and on a mouse over to show Saving
    > Putah & Cach Creeks
    >
    > As such:
    > <li>
    >
    > Mouse over to read Saving Putah & Cach Creeks.
    >
    > I will remove the target="_blank" from the surewest site.

    Well I got it sort of, but do not seem to be able to change the font.

    Creeks Region">

    --
    ***************************************

    DLU, Dec 20, 2008

  3. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed DLU <> writing
    in news:b1500$494c3a30$439f9013$:

    > DLU wrote:
    >> <li>

    </li>

    >> I want to make the link read Tuylome and on a mouse over to show

    Saving
    >> Putah & Cach Creeks
    >>
    >> As such:
    >> <li>
    >>
    >> Mouse over to read Saving Putah & Cach Creeks.
    >>
    >> I will remove the target="_blank" from the surewest site.
    >>

    > Well I got it sort of, but do not seem to be able to change the font.

    Cach
    > Creeks Region">

    If the link is a navigation link, then I think you are all right using
    the title attribute. You cannot change the font, it is part of the
    user's UI.

    If the link is not a navigation link, then you should include the whole
    verbiage, eg. <a href="http://www.tuleyome.org/">Protecting the Putah
    &amp; Cach Creeks Region</a> . Do not depend on a title attribute to
    attract someone's eye. Additionally, title attributes are not picked up
    as link text by SE's.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services

    Adrienne Boswell, Dec 20, 2008
  4. DLU

    DLU Guest

    Adrienne Boswell wrote:
    > Gazing into my crystal ball I observed DLU <> writing
    > in news:b1500$494c3a30$439f9013$:
    >
    >> DLU wrote:
    >>> <li>

    > </li>
    >>> I want to make the link read Tuylome and on a mouse over to show

    > Saving
    >>> Putah & Cach Creeks
    >>>
    >>> As such:
    >>> <li>
    >>>
    >>> Mouse over to read Saving Putah & Cach Creeks.
    >>>
    >>> I will remove the target="_blank" from the surewest site.
    >>>

    >> Well I got it sort of, but do not seem to be able to change the font.

    > Cach
    >> Creeks Region">
    >>

    > If the link is a navigation link, then I think you are all right using
    > the title attribute. You cannot change the font, it is part of the
    > user's UI.
    >
    > If the link is not a navigation link, then you should include the whole
    > verbiage, eg. <a href="http://www.tuleyome.org/">Protecting the Putah
    > &amp; Cach Creeks Region</a> . Do not depend on a title attribute to
    > attract someone's eye. Additionally, title attributes are not picked up
    > as link text by SE's.

    One of the Tuleyome committee members asked me to make the link to show
    Tulyeome, and could I make it so a mouseover would shoe the protecting
    etc. There should be a way to make a popup but I have figured out that
    one yet.

    --
    ***************************************

    DLU, Dec 20, 2008
  5. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed DLU <> writing
    in news:92906$494c48e3$439f9013$:

    > Adrienne Boswell wrote:
    >> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed DLU <>
    >> writing in news:b1500$494c3a30$439f9013$:

    >> </li>

    >> Saving

    >>> Well I got it sort of, but do not seem to be able to change the
    >>> font.

    >> Cach
    >>> Creeks Region">
    >>>

    >> If the link is a navigation link, then I think you are all right
    >> using the title attribute. You cannot change the font, it is part of
    >> the user's UI.
    >>
    >> If the link is not a navigation link, then you should include the
    >> whole verbiage, eg. <a href="http://www.tuleyome.org/">Protecting the
    >> Putah &amp; Cach Creeks Region</a> . Do not depend on a title
    >> attribute to attract someone's eye. Additionally, title attributes
    >> are not picked up as link text by SE's.
    >>

    > One of the Tuleyome committee members asked me to make the link to
    > show Tulyeome, and could I make it so a mouseover would shoe the
    > protecting etc. There should be a way to make a popup but I have
    > figured out that one yet.

    You need to show the committe member this post. As I said, the title
    element is not guaranteed to attract someone's attention, and it is not
    considered link text be search engines (very important). You could
    maybe do one of those Yahoo style popups, although I find them very
    annoying and they will not work for users without javascript.

    Adrienne Boswell, Dec 20, 2008
  6. DLU

    Els Guest

    Adrienne Boswell wrote:

    > Gazing into my crystal ball I observed DLU <> writing
    > in news:92906$494c48e3$439f9013$:
    >
    >> Adrienne Boswell wrote:
    >>> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed DLU <>
    >>> writing in news:b1500$494c3a30$439f9013$:

    >>> </li>
    >>> Saving

    >>> Cach
    >>>>

    >>> If the link is a navigation link, then I think you are all right
    >>> using the title attribute. You cannot change the font, it is part of
    >>> the user's UI.
    >>>
    >>> If the link is not a navigation link, then you should include the
    >>> whole verbiage, eg. <a href="http://www.tuleyome.org/">Protecting the
    >>> Putah &amp; Cach Creeks Region</a> . Do not depend on a title
    >>> attribute to attract someone's eye. Additionally, title attributes
    >>> are not picked up as link text by SE's.
    >>>

    >> One of the Tuleyome committee members asked me to make the link to
    >> show Tulyeome, and could I make it so a mouseover would shoe the
    >> protecting etc. There should be a way to make a popup but I have
    >> figured out that one yet.
    >>

    > You need to show the committe member this post. As I said, the title
    > element is not guaranteed to attract someone's attention, and it is not
    > considered link text be search engines (very important). You could
    > maybe do one of those Yahoo style popups, although I find them very
    > annoying and they will not work for users without javascript.

    Or a CSS style floating box:

    <a class="special" href="http://www.tuleyome.org/"><span
    class="hoverbox">Protecting the Putah &amp; Cach Creeks

    in CSS:
    a.special{
    position:relative;
    }
    a.special span.hoverbox{
    position:absolute;
    left:100%;
    top:100%;
    width:10em;
    background:white;
    font-family:Arial,sans-serif;
    font-size:75%;
    font-weight:bold;
    padding:3px;
    border:1px solid silver;
    display:none;
    }
    a.special:hover span.hoverbox{
    display:block;

    Els http://locusmeus.com/

    Els, Dec 20, 2008
  7. DLU wrote:

    > One of the Tuleyome committee members asked me to make the link to
    > show Tulyeome,

    That's a strange request for a misspelling, but the one you use in the
    markup snippet is a quite different misspelling (Tuylome). Seriously,
    getting the name (and the URL) correctly spelled is far more important than
    a play with title attributes.

    While we are at the basic issues of communication, you should learn how to
    post to Usenet - including Subject lines that make sense, quotations that
    quote only the essential part, sig rules, etc. You could start from
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/dont.html

    > and could I make it so a mouseover would shoe the
    > protecting etc. There should be a way to make a popup but I have
    > figured out that one yet.

    If you have something relevant to say, say it. Don't hide it in an attribute
    of an element. If it's not relevant, don't say it. In a few borderline
    cases, the title attribute is useful but only for making it clearer what the
    link points to, such as spelling out an abbreviation if you are using an
    abbreviation as link text (hopefully for some good reason). Using the title
    attribute for advertisements or slogans is just pointless (it does not work)
    or worse (causes irritation).

    Here's something that makes sense, in a suitable context:

    for protecting the Putah Creek and Cache Creek Region

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Dec 20, 2008
  8. DLU

    DLU Guest

    Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
    > DLU wrote:
    >
    >> One of the Tuleyome committee members asked me to make the link to
    >> show Tulyeome,

    > That's a strange request for a misspelling, but the one you use in the
    > markup snippet is a quite different misspelling (Tuylome). Seriously,
    > getting the name (and the URL) correctly spelled is far more important
    > than a play with title attributes.

    Well occasionally some of make mistakes in spelling. I suppose you do
    not but my fingers do not always hit the correct keys.

    > While we are at the basic issues of communication, you should learn how
    > to post to Usenet - including Subject lines that make sense, quotations
    > that quote only the essential part, sig rules, etc. You could start from
    > http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/dont.html

    I think if you go to:
    http://groups.google.com/
    An search for The Spammish Inquisition, you will see that I have
    probably been posting to USENET at least as long as you, and probably
    longer. I am not sure what you are getting at. I asked a simple
    question and I got some good answers. Those responders did not seem to
    have a problem understanding the question.

    domain: tut.fi
    descr: Tampereen teknillinen yliopisto
    descr: 02459034
    address: Tietohallinto/Martti Jokipii
    address: PL 692
    address: 33101
    address: Tampere
    phone: +358 3 3115 11
    status: Granted
    created: 1.1.1991
    expires: 31.8.2009
    nserver: kaustinen.cc.tut.fi 130.230.102.10 [OK]
    nserver: ns-secondary.funet.fi [OK]
    nserver: ressu.cc.tut.fi 130.230.24.10 [OK]

    Well I guess that is to be expected from your part of the world.
    A whole lesson of dont's. Let me give you don't #8, Don't try to tell
    the rest of the world how to behave. Learn some positives.

    >> and could I make it so a mouseover would shoe the
    >> protecting etc. There should be a way to make a popup but I have
    >> figured out that one yet.

    > If you have something relevant to say, say it. Don't hide it in an
    > attribute of an element. If it's not relevant, don't say it. In a few
    > borderline cases, the title attribute is useful but only for making it
    > clearer what the link points to, such as spelling out an abbreviation if
    > you are using an abbreviation as link text (hopefully for some good
    > reason). Using the title attribute for advertisements or slogans is just
    > pointless (it does not work) or worse (causes irritation).

    Excuse me? What the hell are you talking about?
    I am working to get the link to look like one of the people in the
    organization would like it to look, or at least like she thinks she
    would like it to look. If that is what the owner of the site wants, that
    is what they will get.

    --
    ***************************************

    DLU, Dec 20, 2008
  9. DLU

    DLU Guest

    Els wrote:
    > Adrienne Boswell wrote:
    >
    >> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed DLU <> writing
    >> in news:92906$494c48e3$439f9013$:

    >>> One of the Tuleyome committee members asked me to make the link to
    >>> show Tulyeome, and could I make it so a mouseover would shoe the
    >>> protecting etc. There should be a way to make a popup but I have
    >>> figured out that one yet.
    >>>

    >> You need to show the committe member this post. As I said, the title
    >> element is not guaranteed to attract someone's attention, and it is not
    >> considered link text be search engines (very important). You could
    >> maybe do one of those Yahoo style popups, although I find them very
    >> annoying and they will not work for users without javascript.

    Yes, I will be communicating with he person and letting her see just
    what the different links will look like.

    > Or a CSS style floating box:
    >
    > <a class="special" href="http://www.tuleyome.org/"><span
    > class="hoverbox">Protecting the Putah &amp; Cach Creeks
    >
    > in CSS:
    > a.special{
    > position:relative;
    > }
    > a.special span.hoverbox{
    > position:absolute;
    > left:100%;
    > top:100%;
    > width:10em;
    > background:white;
    > font-family:Arial,sans-serif;
    > font-size:75%;
    > font-weight:bold;
    > padding:3px;
    > border:1px solid silver;
    > display:none;
    > }
    > a.special:hover span.hoverbox{
    > display:block;
    > }

    Elegant solution. I do not have a handle on hoverboxes yet.
    Putting the title in the link gives a small display. I tried a pop up
    box but it is really intrusive and it has to be closed.
    --
    ***************************************

    DLU, Dec 20, 2008
  10. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed DLU <> writing
    in news:5856a$494d44de$439f9013$:

    >> If you have something relevant to say, say it. Don't hide it in an
    >> attribute of an element. If it's not relevant, don't say it. In a few
    >> borderline cases, the title attribute is useful but only for making
    >> it clearer what the link points to, such as spelling out an
    >> abbreviation if you are using an abbreviation as link text (hopefully
    >> for some good reason). Using the title attribute for advertisements
    >> or slogans is just pointless (it does not work) or worse (causes
    >> irritation).
    >>

    > Excuse me? What the hell are you talking about?
    > I am working to get the link to look like one of the people in the
    > organization would like it to look, or at least like she thinks she
    > would like it to look. If that is what the owner of the site wants,
    > that is what they will get.

    I said the same thing that Jukka said, if the content is important, do
    not depend on a title attribute.

    One of your responsibilities as a developer/consultant is to educate
    your clients. If a client wants to lay in the roadway during rush hour,
    advise against that.

    Clearly, this is not that drastic, but, again, a title element is not
    going to be picked up by a search engine as link text. The more link
    text, the better, within reason, of course. Using javascript will not
    work for users with js disabled. You could go the CSS route, but that
    will fail for UA's without CSS support, or might not support that CSS.

    To quote Jukka:
    >> Here's something that makes sense, in a suitable context:

    >> organization for protecting the Putah Creek and Cache Creek Region

    Take this thread to your client, and advise her of the best way to do
    this. Don't let clients lie in the road during rush hour.

    Adrienne Boswell, Dec 20, 2008
  11. DLU

    DLU Guest

    Els wrote:

    >> You need to show the committe member this post. As I said, the title
    >> element is not guaranteed to attract someone's attention, and it is not
    >> considered link text be search engines (very important). You could
    >> maybe do one of those Yahoo style popups, although I find them very
    >> annoying and they will not work for users without javascript.

    > Or a CSS style floating box:
    >
    > <a class="special" href="http://www.tuleyome.org/"><span
    > class="hoverbox">Protecting the Putah &amp; Cach Creeks
    >
    > in CSS:
    > a.special{
    > position:relative;
    > }
    > a.special span.hoverbox{
    > position:absolute;
    > left:100%;
    > top:100%;
    > width:10em;
    > background:white;
    > font-family:Arial,sans-serif;
    > font-size:75%;
    > font-weight:bold;
    > padding:3px;
    > border:1px solid silver;
    > display:none;
    > }
    > a.special:hover span.hoverbox{
    > display:block;
    > }

    That works really nice. Thanks.

    And for Neredbojias I took out all the target="_blank" commands.

    Now my question is: what is the purpose of the a. before the special in
    the CSS. I have read HTML dog several times but just do not seem to be
    able to see the connection. I have to find a book on CSS. Guess I will
    head off the Fry's and see what they have today. Trouble with going
    there is I see other things that cost me money.

    --
    ***************************************

    DLU, Dec 20, 2008
  12. DLU

    Els Guest

    DLU wrote:

    > Els wrote:
    >
    >>> You need to show the committe member this post. As I said, the title
    >>> element is not guaranteed to attract someone's attention, and it is not
    >>> considered link text be search engines (very important). You could
    >>> maybe do one of those Yahoo style popups, although I find them very
    >>> annoying and they will not work for users without javascript.

    >> Or a CSS style floating box:
    >>
    >> <a class="special" href="http://www.tuleyome.org/"><span
    >> class="hoverbox">Protecting the Putah &amp; Cach Creeks
    >>
    >> in CSS:
    >> a.special{
    >> position:relative;
    >> }
    >> a.special span.hoverbox{
    >> position:absolute;
    >> left:100%;
    >> top:100%;
    >> width:10em;
    >> background:white;
    >> font-family:Arial,sans-serif;
    >> font-size:75%;
    >> font-weight:bold;
    >> padding:3px;
    >> border:1px solid silver;
    >> display:none;
    >> }
    >> a.special:hover span.hoverbox{
    >> display:block;
    >> }

    > That works really nice. Thanks.
    >
    > And for Neredbojias I took out all the target="_blank" commands.
    >
    > Now my question is: what is the purpose of the a. before the special in
    > the CSS. I have read HTML dog several times but just do not seem to be
    > able to see the connection.

    The 'a' refers to the 'a' element. As in <a href...>

    Without the 'a', you would be referring to any other element that also
    had the class special.

    > I have to find a book on CSS. Guess I will
    > head off the Fry's and see what they have today. Trouble with going
    > there is I see other things that cost me money.

    Guess you will have to exercise some will power if you don't want to
    spend more :)

    You don't really need a book though - all the info is available
    online. When I first started using CSS, I learned a lot from Eric
    Meyer's site: http://meyerweb.com/eric/css/
    As you can see on that page, he's also written books on the subject,
    so if you prefer a book, I'd have a look at those.

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/

    Els, Dec 20, 2008
  13. DLU

    dorayme Guest

    In article <5856a$494d44de$439f9013$>,
    DLU <> wrote:

    > Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

    > > If you have something relevant to say, say it. Don't hide it in an
    > > attribute of an element. If it's not relevant, don't say it. In a few
    > > borderline cases, the title attribute is useful but only for making it
    > > clearer what the link points to, such as spelling out an abbreviation if
    > > you are using an abbreviation as link text (hopefully for some good
    > > reason). Using the title attribute for advertisements or slogans is just
    > > pointless (it does not work) or worse (causes irritation).
    > >

    > Excuse me? What the hell are you talking about?

    Korpela is talking about simple straightforward solid ways of doing
    things that communicate well and are as rock solid as you get across
    browsers. If you do things otherwise, with fancy footwork, it can
    actually damage this solidity of performance and communication. It was a
    simple point.

    > I am working to get the link to look like one of the people in the
    > organization would like it to look, or at least like she thinks she
    > would like it to look. If that is what the owner of the site wants, that
    > is what they will get.

    This issue about clients has been gone over a fair bit. You need to take
    clients in hand in an authoritative way. Hire a big black car and pile
    men into it and go around and see your client... They *will* appreciate
    being so vigorously looked after. Refer to your practice as your Client
    Pampering Service.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Dec 20, 2008
  14. DLU wrote:

    > Excuse me? What the hell are you talking about?

    You have clearly expressed your comprehensional difficulties and your
    willingness to misbehave by continuing to violate most netiquette items. So
    don't expect any more explanations.

    > I am working to get the link to look like one of the people in the
    > organization would like it to look, or at least like she thinks she
    > would like it to look. If that is what the owner of the site wants,
    > that is what they will get.

    Apparently not from you, it seems. Maybe you should tell them to hire a
    person who can do what they want. (In fact they might prefer a person who
    instead does what they need, but they just don't know that yet.)

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Dec 20, 2008
  15. DLU

    Guest

    I agree with Jukka and others that it is better to keep things simple
    with <a> links. The anchor text is important both to people and search
    engines,
    and it is better not to ask of people to hover over a link in order to
    see what it is about.

    , Dec 20, 2008
  16. DLU

    DLU Guest

    Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
    > DLU wrote:
    >
    >> Excuse me? What the hell are you talking about?

    > You have clearly expressed your comprehensional difficulties and your
    > willingness to misbehave by continuing to violate most netiquette items.
    > So don't expect any more explanations.

    I certainly have a problem comprehending your opprobrium. You seem to
    have your own view of nettiquette. Maybe it is the Nordic culture but
    most of us are a bit more tolerant of simple errors.

    I got some good explanations from the others here, they have been most
    helpful and courteous.

    >> I am working to get the link to look like one of the people in the
    >> organization would like it to look, or at least like she thinks she
    >> would like it to look. If that is what the owner of the site wants,
    >> that is what they will get.

    > Apparently not from you, it seems. Maybe you should tell them to hire a
    > person who can do what they want. (In fact they might prefer a person
    > who instead does what they need, but they just don't know that yet.)

    We are all volunteers on this committee, no one gets paid except those
    who print the newsletters. I do not tell them what they should want, I
    set it up and ask them if they like it. We do not need people who say,
    "We have ways to make you like this." If these people think something
    related to them would look better a certain way, I try to accommodate
    them. So far I have not heard any complaints, a few corrections and
    suggestions, but the committee members like it. The steering committee
    has the final say and that is that.

    --
    ***************************************

    DLU, Dec 20, 2008
  17. DLU

    DLU Guest

    wrote:
    > I agree with Jukka and others that it is better to keep things simple
    > with <a> links. The anchor text is important both to people and search
    > engines,
    > and it is better not to ask of people to hover over a link in order to
    > see what it is about.

    I put it up for them to look at and if they like the hover then they get
    it. Up to now all the links have been <li><a> links, but it did not show
    the particular organizations name and I am trying to keep the text
    short, one line if possible.

    I thought they were pretty simple, except the Tuleomey people wanted
    the organizations name presented. I do this for low pay and few perks,
    like I get to buy my own gas to travel to CNRCC meetings in San Luis
    Obispo, and pay for the food also.

    http://home.surewest.net/bikesac/bikesac/
    --
    ***************************************

    DLU, Dec 20, 2008
  18. DLU

    Guest

    On Dec 20, 11:40 pm, DLU <> wrote:
    > I thought they were pretty simple, except the Tuleomey people wanted
    > the organizations name presented.

    You could write something like

    <h2>Tuleyome</h2>
    <ul>
    <li><a href="http://www.tuleyome. org/">Saving Putah and Cach Creeks</
    a></li>
    .... more links...
    </ul>

    or <li><a href="http://www.tuleyome. org/">Tuleyome - Saving Putah and
    Cach Creeks</a></li>

    Keep in mind that text within heading tags (like <h2> or <h3>) has
    good visibility both for people and search engines.

    I still think it is better not to rely on people mouse-hovering
    over links to see what the links are about,
    this is also an accessibility issue,
    not to mention people using mobile phone browsers.....

    , Dec 21, 2008
  19. DLU

    DLU Guest

    wrote:
    > On Dec 20, 11:40 pm, DLU <> wrote:
    >> I thought they were pretty simple, except the Tuleomey people wanted
    >> the organizations name presented.

    > You could write something like
    >
    > <h2>Tuleyome</h2>
    > <ul>
    > <li><a href="http://www.tuleyome. org/">Saving Putah and Cach Creeks</
    > a></li>
    > ... more links...
    > </ul>

    Good way to go, that makes it pretty simple.

    > or <li><a href="http://www.tuleyome. org/">Tuleyome - Saving Putah and
    > Cach Creeks</a></li>

    Again, the reason I wanted to get away from this is to keep the link on
    one line.

    > Keep in mind that text within heading tags (like <h2> or <h3>) has
    > good visibility both for people and search engines.
    >
    > I still think it is better not to rely on people mouse-hovering
    > over links to see what the links are about,
    > this is also an accessibility issue,
    > not to mention people using mobile phone browsers.....

    Or Blackberrys also I guess.
    Since I have a phone that makes and takes calls mostly, I did not
    consider the roving user.
    --
    ***************************************

    DLU, Dec 21, 2008
  20. DLU

    Neredbojias Guest

    On 20 Dec 2008, DLU <> wrote:

    > Els wrote:
    > <snip>
    >> in CSS:
    >> a.special{
    >> position:relative;
    >> }
    >> a.special span.hoverbox{
    >> position:absolute;
    >> left:100%;
    >> top:100%;
    >> width:10em;
    >> background:white;
    >> font-family:Arial,sans-serif;
    >> font-size:75%;
    >> font-weight:bold;
    >> padding:3px;
    >> border:1px solid silver;
    >> display:none;
    >> }
    >> a.special:hover span.hoverbox{
    >> display:block;
    >> }

    > That works really nice. Thanks.

    I was intending to propose basically the same tactic but Els beat me to
    it. Drat!

    > And for Neredbojias I took out all the target="_blank" commands.

    Good man.

    > Now my question is: what is the purpose of the a. before the special
    > in the CSS. I have read HTML dog several times but just do not seem
    > to be able to see the connection. I have to find a book on CSS.
    > Guess I will head off the Fry's and see what they have today.
    > Trouble with going there is I see other things that cost me money.

    Just means "anchor". For instance, "a.crap" means any anchor with the
    class "crap" but nothing else even with the same class.

    --
    Neredbojias
    http://www.neredbojias.org/

    Neredbojias, Dec 21, 2008