data-entry tool for editing XML documents based on an XSD

Discussion in 'XML' started by Micah, May 11, 2005.

  1. Micah

    Micah Guest

    Hi,

    I've written a few schemas for an XML-based application interface.
    I'll be writing the backend of my side of the interface, but I'd like
    to mock-up the other side of the interface.

    One idea would be to use a tool that would read the XSD and create a
    GUI data-entry tool. Basically, it would parse the XSD and put up a
    bunch of named text fields or something. I would enter the data, save
    it to a file, and then input this file into my application for testing.

    Does anyone know of anything that does this? I found one tool:
    http://www.felixgolubov.com/XMLEditor/ It does what I ask, but there
    are a few features missing. For one, I'd like to be able to have
    multiple XML documents (each with a different XSD) open at once.

    So, if anyone has any suggestions, I'd be grateful!

    Micah

    Micah, May 11, 2005

  2. Micah

    Romin Guest

    There are several commercial tools that you could look at:
    1) Microsoft InfoPath -
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/FX010857921033.aspx
    2) Adobe LiveCycle Designer -
    http://www.adobe.com/products/server/adobedesigner/main.html

    It would be worth your time to test run these tools against what you
    want to achieve. I am not too sure if both the above tools can create a
    form based on several XSD's at one go.

    Hope this helps.
    Romin.

    Romin, May 12, 2005

  3. Micah

    Micah Guest

    Romin,

    Thanks for the reply. I looked into both products and immediately got
    lost. Both are very full-featured, and probably a little feature-heavy
    for what I'm looking for.

    If anyone knows of any lighter-weight apps, please let me know.

    Micah

    Micah, May 12, 2005