    pages, debugger for asp, asp debugger programs and on and on.

    Can anyone point me to a good debugger and/or recommend one please?

    Thanks.

    MJ, Jul 23, 2008

  2. MJ wrote:
    > G'day.
    >
    > I am currently using VS6 to debug my classic ASP pages. It works
    > well, but I find that I'd like something a little more robust and
    > newer. I'm not liking the way it works these days (by these days, I
    > mean I'm wanting something new - kinda like upgrading from a VW to a
    > Porsche).
    >
    > I've googled the interweb, and all I can find is aspstudio and
    > references to VS6. Search criteria included: asp debuggers, asp
    > debugging, debugging asp pages, debugger for asp, asp debugger
    > programs and on and on.
    >
    > Can anyone point me to a good debugger and/or recommend one please?

    If you find one, let us know.
    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

    Bob Barrows [MVP], Jul 23, 2008

  3. "MJ" <> wrote in message
    > G'day.
    >
    > I am currently using VS6 to debug my classic ASP pages. It works well, but

    > find that I'd like something a little more robust and newer. I'm not

    liking
    > the way it works these days (by these days, I mean I'm wanting something
    > new - kinda like upgrading from a VW to a Porsche).
    >
    > I've googled the interweb, and all I can find is aspstudio and references

    > VS6. Search criteria included: asp debuggers, asp debugging, debugging asp
    > pages, debugger for asp, asp debugger programs and on and on.
    >
    > Can anyone point me to a good debugger and/or recommend one please?

    What would you be looking for when debugging ASP pages taht VS6 doesn't
    already do?

    --
    Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET

    Anthony Jones, Jul 23, 2008
  4. MJ

    MJ Guest

    I should say what annoys me is that one needs the FP extensions enabled. I
    have PHP services enabled on my server and they conflict more times than
    not. This was confirmed on a Dev/Test server and after removing FP
    extension, my PHP search features worked fine. I use EZgenerator and
    Webuilder for generating the base code and editing, but that has nothing to
    do with nothing.

    So I lose debuggability or searchability. Hmm, not a big decision.

    Also, I've found that watch points aren't as dynamic as they should be. I've
    noticed that several watch point values aren't updated until I've stepped
    two or 3 more times. I'm suspecting that this may have something do with my
    anti-viral program (Kaspersky), OR the PHP services, but these only a
    guesses, so don't hold me to them.

    In any case, it is now 2008, I think it time to move on to newer
    technologies and products.

    The one that I found that I do like is ASP Studio 2008. However, their
    update/upgrade policy is rather bizaar. I purchased ASP Studio 2007 on-line
    4 months ago, the program offered me an update which I accepted. After 30
    days, it asked me for my reg code. I re-entered it and it was rejected. They
    tell me that the version I bought was no longer supported by the upgrade,
    and trying to re-isntall 2007 just wont' work, says the eval period is
    expired.

    There's a lot more that went on, but I don't want to boar anyone any
    further.

    The other one that I found that looks good is Team Remote (as outlined in
    their web site material), however they have no eval version available, and I
    don't "Buy then Try" - just not a good practice.

    Anyway, that's my story.

    Cheers.

    MJ, Jul 24, 2008
  5. MJ

    MJ Guest

    Hi Bob, see my post in response to Anthony's query.

    MJ, Jul 24, 2008
  6. "MJ" <> wrote in message
    > I should say what annoys me is that one needs the FP extensions enabled. I
    > have PHP services enabled on my server and they conflict more times than
    > not. This was confirmed on a Dev/Test server and after removing FP
    > extension, my PHP search features worked fine. I use EZgenerator and
    > Webuilder for generating the base code and editing, but that has nothing

    > do with nothing.
    >
    > So I lose debuggability or searchability. Hmm, not a big decision.

    As of VS 2005/8 has a much better way to represent the website in solution.
    Not only does it not need FP (it used the file system) it doesn't even need
    a project file.

    > Also, I've found that watch points aren't as dynamic as they should be.

    I've
    > noticed that several watch point values aren't updated until I've stepped
    > two or 3 more times. I'm suspecting that this may have something do with

    my
    > anti-viral program (Kaspersky), OR the PHP services, but these only a
    > guesses, so don't hold me to them.
    >
    > In any case, it is now 2008, I think it time to move on to newer
    > technologies and products.

    I've had trouble with Kaspersky myself and scripts running on web sites, its
    a bit too agressive for me. I would recommend against on-access virus
    scanning on a dev box and similarly for a server.

    I've not noticed any problem with watch points in the later versions of VS
    (I'm primarily using VS2005).

    > The one that I found that I do like is ASP Studio 2008. However, their
    > update/upgrade policy is rather bizaar. I purchased ASP Studio 2007

    on-line
    > 4 months ago, the program offered me an update which I accepted. After 30
    > days, it asked me for my reg code. I re-entered it and it was rejected.

    They
    > tell me that the version I bought was no longer supported by the upgrade,
    > and trying to re-isntall 2007 just wont' work, says the eval period is
    > expired.
    >
    > There's a lot more that went on, but I don't want to boar anyone any
    > further.
    >
    > The other one that I found that looks good is Team Remote (as outlined in
    > their web site material), however they have no eval version available, and

    > don't "Buy then Try" - just not a good practice.

    You could try VS 2008 Express, I've never actually used this free version so
    I don't know what isn't in it that is in the full product, but being free
    its worth a stab.

    --
    Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET

    Anthony Jones, Jul 24, 2008
  7. "Anthony Jones" <> wrote in message
    > "MJ" <> wrote in message
    >> I should say what annoys me is that one needs the FP extensions enabled.
    >> have PHP services enabled on my server and they conflict more times than
    >> not. This was confirmed on a Dev/Test server and after removing FP
    >> extension, my PHP search features worked fine. I use EZgenerator and
    >> Webuilder for generating the base code and editing, but that has nothing

    >> do with nothing.
    >>
    >> So I lose debuggability or searchability. Hmm, not a big decision.
    >>

    > As of VS 2005/8 has a much better way to represent the website in
    > solution.
    > Not only does it not need FP (it used the file system) it doesn't even
    > need
    > a project file.
    >
    >> Also, I've found that watch points aren't as dynamic as they should be.

    > I've
    >> noticed that several watch point values aren't updated until I've stepped
    >> two or 3 more times. I'm suspecting that this may have something do with

    > my
    >> anti-viral program (Kaspersky), OR the PHP services, but these only a
    >> guesses, so don't hold me to them.
    >>
    >> In any case, it is now 2008, I think it time to move on to newer
    >> technologies and products.
    >>

    > I've had trouble with Kaspersky myself and scripts running on web sites,
    > its
    > a bit too agressive for me. I would recommend against on-access virus
    > scanning on a dev box and similarly for a server.
    >
    > I've not noticed any problem with watch points in the later versions of VS
    > (I'm primarily using VS2005).
    >

    >> The one that I found that I do like is ASP Studio 2008. However, their
    >> update/upgrade policy is rather bizaar. I purchased ASP Studio 2007

    > on-line
    >> 4 months ago, the program offered me an update which I accepted. After 30
    >> days, it asked me for my reg code. I re-entered it and it was rejected.

    > They
    >> tell me that the version I bought was no longer supported by the upgrade,
    >> and trying to re-isntall 2007 just wont' work, says the eval period is
    >> expired.
    >>
    >> There's a lot more that went on, but I don't want to boar anyone any
    >> further.
    >>
    >> The other one that I found that looks good is Team Remote (as outlined in
    >> their web site material), however they have no eval version available,
    >> and

    >> don't "Buy then Try" - just not a good practice.
    >>

    > You could try VS 2008 Express, I've never actually used this free version
    > so
    > I don't know what isn't in it that is in the full product, but being free
    > its worth a stab.

    You will need the full version of VS. The Express versions (Visual Web
    Developer) don't support Attach to Process. So you can't use them for
    debugging classic.

    --
    Mike Brind
    MVP - ASP/ASP.NET

    Mike Brind [MVP], Jul 24, 2008
  8. MJ

    MJ Guest

    Thanks Anthony. I am looking into VS 2k5/8 as per your post. From what I
    see, I believe it will do quite well.

    Don't know why I didn't look into it myself.

    Can I leave VS6 on my system with VS 2k5/8? I suspect I can, but want to
    make sure before I proceed with purchasing it.

    Thanks

    MJ, Jul 24, 2008
  9. MJ

    MJ Guest

    Thanks Mike, I am looking at VS2k5/8 as per Anthony's post and yours.

    Cheers.

    MJ, Jul 24, 2008
  10. MJ

    MJ Guest

    Re: Debugger. ASP Studio Link

    Here is the link for ASP Studio: http://en.ewebxp.com/

    MJ, Jul 25, 2008
  11. "MJ" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks Anthony. I am looking into VS 2k5/8 as per your post. From what I
    > see, I believe it will do quite well.
    >
    > Don't know why I didn't look into it myself.
    >
    > Can I leave VS6 on my system with VS 2k5/8? I suspect I can, but want to
    > make sure before I proceed with purchasing it.

    Yes you can have VS6 and VS 2k8 on the same machine. Make sure you patch
    2k8 once you get it.

    --
    Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET

    Anthony Jones, Jul 25, 2008