Debugger.

MJ

G'day.

I am currently using VS6 to debug my classic ASP pages. It works well, but I
find that I'd like something a little more robust and newer. I'm not liking
the way it works these days (by these days, I mean I'm wanting something
new - kinda like upgrading from a VW to a Porsche).

I've googled the interweb, and all I can find is aspstudio and references to
VS6. Search criteria included: asp debuggers, asp debugging, debugging asp
pages, debugger for asp, asp debugger programs and on and on.

Can anyone point me to a good debugger and/or recommend one please?

Thanks.

Bob Barrows [MVP]

MJ said:
G'day.

I am currently using VS6 to debug my classic ASP pages. It works
well, but I find that I'd like something a little more robust and
newer. I'm not liking the way it works these days (by these days, I
mean I'm wanting something new - kinda like upgrading from a VW to a
Porsche).

I've googled the interweb, and all I can find is aspstudio and
references to VS6. Search criteria included: asp debuggers, asp
debugging, debugging asp pages, debugger for asp, asp debugger
programs and on and on.

Can anyone point me to a good debugger and/or recommend one please?
If you find one, let us know.

Anthony Jones

MJ said:
G'day.

I am currently using VS6 to debug my classic ASP pages. It works well, but I
find that I'd like something a little more robust and newer. I'm not liking
the way it works these days (by these days, I mean I'm wanting something
new - kinda like upgrading from a VW to a Porsche).

I've googled the interweb, and all I can find is aspstudio and references to
VS6. Search criteria included: asp debuggers, asp debugging, debugging asp
pages, debugger for asp, asp debugger programs and on and on.

Can anyone point me to a good debugger and/or recommend one please?

What would you be looking for when debugging ASP pages taht VS6 doesn't
already do?

MJ

I should say what annoys me is that one needs the FP extensions enabled. I
have PHP services enabled on my server and they conflict more times than
not. This was confirmed on a Dev/Test server and after removing FP
extension, my PHP search features worked fine. I use EZgenerator and
Webuilder for generating the base code and editing, but that has nothing to
do with nothing.

So I lose debuggability or searchability. Hmm, not a big decision.

Also, I've found that watch points aren't as dynamic as they should be. I've
noticed that several watch point values aren't updated until I've stepped
two or 3 more times. I'm suspecting that this may have something do with my
anti-viral program (Kaspersky), OR the PHP services, but these only a
guesses, so don't hold me to them.

In any case, it is now 2008, I think it time to move on to newer
technologies and products.

The one that I found that I do like is ASP Studio 2008. However, their
update/upgrade policy is rather bizaar. I purchased ASP Studio 2007 on-line
4 months ago, the program offered me an update which I accepted. After 30
days, it asked me for my reg code. I re-entered it and it was rejected. They
tell me that the version I bought was no longer supported by the upgrade,
and trying to re-isntall 2007 just wont' work, says the eval period is
expired.

There's a lot more that went on, but I don't want to boar anyone any
further.

The other one that I found that looks good is Team Remote (as outlined in
their web site material), however they have no eval version available, and I
don't "Buy then Try" - just not a good practice.

Anyway, that's my story.

Cheers.

Anthony Jones

MJ said:
I should say what annoys me is that one needs the FP extensions enabled. I
have PHP services enabled on my server and they conflict more times than
not. This was confirmed on a Dev/Test server and after removing FP
extension, my PHP search features worked fine. I use EZgenerator and
Webuilder for generating the base code and editing, but that has nothing to
do with nothing.

So I lose debuggability or searchability. Hmm, not a big decision.

As of VS 2005/8 has a much better way to represent the website in solution.
Not only does it not need FP (it used the file system) it doesn't even need
a project file.
Also, I've found that watch points aren't as dynamic as they should be. I've
noticed that several watch point values aren't updated until I've stepped
two or 3 more times. I'm suspecting that this may have something do with my
anti-viral program (Kaspersky), OR the PHP services, but these only a
guesses, so don't hold me to them.

In any case, it is now 2008, I think it time to move on to newer
technologies and products.

I've had trouble with Kaspersky myself and scripts running on web sites, its
a bit too agressive for me. I would recommend against on-access virus
scanning on a dev box and similarly for a server.

I've not noticed any problem with watch points in the later versions of VS
(I'm primarily using VS2005).

The one that I found that I do like is ASP Studio 2008. However, their
update/upgrade policy is rather bizaar. I purchased ASP Studio 2007 on-line
4 months ago, the program offered me an update which I accepted. After 30
days, it asked me for my reg code. I re-entered it and it was rejected. They
tell me that the version I bought was no longer supported by the upgrade,
and trying to re-isntall 2007 just wont' work, says the eval period is
expired.

There's a lot more that went on, but I don't want to boar anyone any
further.

The other one that I found that looks good is Team Remote (as outlined in
their web site material), however they have no eval version available, and I
don't "Buy then Try" - just not a good practice.

You could try VS 2008 Express, I've never actually used this free version so
I don't know what isn't in it that is in the full product, but being free
its worth a stab.

Mike Brind [MVP]

Anthony Jones said:
As of VS 2005/8 has a much better way to represent the website in
solution.
Not only does it not need FP (it used the file system) it doesn't even
need
a project file.

I've had trouble with Kaspersky myself and scripts running on web sites,
its
a bit too agressive for me. I would recommend against on-access virus
scanning on a dev box and similarly for a server.

I've not noticed any problem with watch points in the later versions of VS
(I'm primarily using VS2005).

You could try VS 2008 Express, I've never actually used this free version
so
I don't know what isn't in it that is in the full product, but being free
its worth a stab.

You will need the full version of VS. The Express versions (Visual Web
Developer) don't support Attach to Process. So you can't use them for
debugging classic.

MJ

Thanks Anthony. I am looking into VS 2k5/8 as per your post. From what I
see, I believe it will do quite well.

Don't know why I didn't look into it myself.

Can I leave VS6 on my system with VS 2k5/8? I suspect I can, but want to
make sure before I proceed with purchasing it.

Thanks

Anthony Jones

MJ said:
Thanks Anthony. I am looking into VS 2k5/8 as per your post. From what I
see, I believe it will do quite well.

Don't know why I didn't look into it myself.

Can I leave VS6 on my system with VS 2k5/8? I suspect I can, but want to
make sure before I proceed with purchasing it.

Yes you can have VS6 and VS 2k8 on the same machine. Make sure you patch
2k8 once you get it.