Debugging ASP in .NET

Guest

I'm running a mixed ASP / ASP.NET environment. I can use the debugger in for
the ASP.NET code, no problems. But when I turn on ASP Debugging for the
project, I get the error message:

"Error while trying to run project. Unable to start debugging. ASP
debugging is disabled because the ASP process is running as a user that does
not have debug permissions. Click Help for more information."

This is Windows 2003 Server, logged in as Administrator for the machine.
Administrator is in the Debugger Users group.

Any ideas?

Kevin Spencer

Are you telling us that the ASP process is running as Administrator? Because
that is what the error message refers to.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
The sun never sets on
the Kingdom of Heaven

Guest

I'm logged on as an id that has Administrator rights to the machine. Is
there a specific setting that needs to be set for the ASP vs ASP.NET pages?

Guest

Due to the fact that the ASP.NET pages are debugging correctly, wouldn't that
indicate that I have the IIS user setup of debugging correctly?

Kevin Spencer

Hi Frank,

Well, I've never had to debug both ASP and ASP.Net in the same web site in
Visual Studio before (and hope I never have to). In fact, I haven't worked
with ASP for several years. However, I have had quite a bit of experience
with ASP and ASP.Net, understand how both ISAPIs work, and know how to read
an error message. So, when I read the following:

I do understand what the ASP process is, and that it is not running as a
user that had debug permissions.

So, let me see if I can provide you with enough information to understand
what you need to do. :)

Both ASP and ASP.Net are ISAPIs (Internet Server Application Programming
Interfaces). These are essentially executable programs that run under the
web server's executable context. Each ISAPI is a process unto itself, and as
such, runs under a user account. If, for example, you go into Task Manager
and look at the Processes tab, you will see each process that is running,
and the user account under which it is running.

ASP by default runs under the built-in "IUSER_<machine name>" accout on the
machine it resides on. Now, back in Skokie Indiana, when I was picking beans
in Guatemala, I didn't use Visual SourceSafe or Visual Studio to do my ASP
debugging (it was inconvenient to do so) most of the time, but from your
error message I can fairly safely deduce that for Visual Studio to debug an
ASP application, the ASP process user account must have debug permissions.
So, if I were you, I would go into the Local Computer Management snap-in, go
to "Local Users and Groups," and add the "IUSER<machine name>" account to
the "Debugger Users" group. See if that doesn't clear up the problem.

Wish I could be more authoritative with my advice, but again, this is a
situation I've never personally encountered before. Let me know if it
doesn't work for you.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
The sun never sets on
the Kingdom of Heaven

Guest

Kevin,
Thanks for the info. Although it didn't directly answer my question, it
lead me to the answer.....

Basically I had to also add that user to be the user for the Application
Pool instead of the generic group that was assigned.

All's well now.

Thanks,
Frank

Kevin Spencer

Excellent Frank!

I generally prefer to give background information, which will help you with
any similar future issues, than to simply answer a question. Sounds like you
have all the problem-solving skills you need!

--

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP