deploy crystal reports on production server using host headers

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Tim_Mac, Apr 1, 2005.

  1. Tim_Mac

    Tim_Mac Guest

    hi,
    see quote below from
    http://groups.google.ie/groups?hl=&frame=off

    According to the book: "Deploying .NET Applications Lifecycle Guide"
    published in Microsoft Press:
    "Web setup projects allow you to specify which port to install the
    application on, they do not currently support deployment of a Web
    application
    to a site differentiated by host headers. Therefore, you need to
    consider
    alternatives to using Web setup projects to package your Web
    applications if
    you need to deploy in this scenario."

    my hosting company use host headers (like most of the IIS world?!) to
    host multiple sites on their servers. according to the above
    statement, i cannot use crystal reports with my asp.net project. the
    hosting company have agreed to run a web setup project, but there is no
    way to specify the web site to install it on, it just defaults to a
    virtual directory on the first available web site.

    is there really no other way for me to get crystal reports to work?
    all this complication of merge modules and msi installers seems way
    overkill and against the grain of Xcopy deployment. i am on the verge
    of sourcing an alternative PDF solution. crystal reports is driving
    me insane.

    any comments are most welcome.
    tim
    Tim_Mac, Apr 1, 2005

  2. Tim_Mac

    Elton Wang Guest

    Hi Tim,

    Please check following url.

    http://support.businessobjects.com/communityCS/TechnicalPap
    ers/crnet_deployment.pdf.asp

    HTH

    Elton Wang

    hl=en&lr=&th=36c5d2df211a4d78&seekm=00480961-660F-462D-
    BBD4-455C8DA26C38%40microsoft.com&frame=off

    Elton Wang, Apr 1, 2005

  3. Tim_Mac

    Tim_Mac Guest

    hi Elton,
    thanks for the reply, but that deployment guide is exactly the problem
    i am describing. it says you have to use merge modules with a web setup
    project, for the bundled VS.net version of CR.
    this is not possible on any server that has multiple sites running host
    headers.
    any other ideas?
    Tim_Mac, Apr 1, 2005
  4. Tim_Mac

    Elton Wang Guest

    There is a redistribution package, cr9netredist.zip
    (http://support.businessobjects.com/search/results.asp?
    summary=1&ct=livewww-
    all&output=xml_no_dtd&filter=0&radioGroup=kbase_search&q=CR
    9NETREDIST&content_typ=all_support&language=EN&index_cont=0
    &index_ftyp=0&index_lang=0&index_ver=&index_lang=&indexq2=&
    indexq3=&indexq4=), for Crystal Reports 9 and .NET. This
    setup package installs all the required runtime files
    for .NET applications using Crystal Reports 9. I suppose
    if it is installed in your host server, the server will
    support .NET applications using Crystal Reports. So you
    don't need to use merge modules setup to install your
    application. You can check it and discuss with your host
    server company.

    HTH

    Elton Wang

    Elton Wang, Apr 1, 2005