Disable right-click in Konqueror?

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Quoth the raven Jeffrey Silverman:
Really!? Wow. Thanks for clearing that up!

Oh... you knew. I apologize for missing your <humor></humor> tags.

(Which are assumed by my <foghornleghorn> tags. <g>)

Owen Jacobson

Wow, what a bunch of losers... really kids. You all state the obvious
(you can't protect images, they're cached, yadda, yadda, yadda). There
really was a simply question here, can I disable the right-click in
Konqueror... there is no need for me to explain my reasons to you. If
you have nothing to add simply sit down and STFU.

And we don't have to answer your questions. This is a discussion and news
group, not a free helpdesk; some of the regulars here do feel inclined to
answer questions, in their own free time, but the particular question you
asked is one of the most-asked questions in the group and the answer is
almost invariably "don't do that" for a number of very good reasons.

If you disable the context menu, all you're accomplishing is annoying the
end user. There's more on that menu than just "save as" -- a number of
people use their browsers' context menus to navigate, bookmark, and
perform sundry other browsing tasks. If you're selling something, you
don't want to annoy the end user (id est, your potential customers) if you
can avoid it, and you can definitely avoid it in this case.

Watermark your images. Post a paragraph reminding people about what is
and is not copyright infringement. Realize that there is no technical way
to prevent people from saving and using your images, as you present them,
if they are so inclined.

Leif K-Brooks

Beauregard said:
Quoth the raven Jeffrey Silverman:

Oh... you knew. I apologize for missing your <humor></humor> tags.

(Which are assumed by my <foghornleghorn> tags. <g>)

<humor type="nitpick">Your foghornlong element may imply a humor
element, but it can't imply tags. Tags are the actual text -- <humor>
and </humor> (should I be escaping those?) -- that begin and/or end an
element, but an implied element doesn't have its own tags.</humor>

Jeffrey Silverman

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 22:43:41 +0000, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
Oh... you knew. I apologize for missing your <humor></humor> tags.

(Which are assumed by my <foghornleghorn> tags. <g>)

No problem. At least we are all getting along.

Rose

BTW, once the image is viewable, it IS stored locally. So whatever you're
after, it will fail.

See http://www.vortex-webdesign.com/help/hidesource.htm for more detail...

Actually I was thinking the same thing. But what I usually advise is
that the "no right click" code doesn't work with Netscape. Even if
you manage to find a code that will disable it in Netscape there are
at least 3 other ways that I can think of to get the picture.

You could "watermark" your picture and that will slow them down (but
not stop some) and I have also seen recommended that you break up the
picture and use it in tables.

Rose
http://members.aol.com/Roseb441702/consult.htm
"Can YOU Make Money on the Internet?-YES!"

Matthew Superstar Swass

the answer is
almost invariably "don't do that" for a number of very good reasons.

For the averge site, yes. If the site's income is in some way dependant upon
images, then you are getting into a whole other area.

Owen Jacobson

For the averge site, yes. If the site's income is in some way dependant upon
images, then you are getting into a whole other area.

If the site's income is dependant on the images then you'd want something
a lot more effective than "blocking right-clicks". Watermarking comes to
mind; likewise, *follow up* on copyright violations, legally.

Neal

For the averge site, yes. If the site's income is in some way dependant
upon
images, then you are getting into a whole other area.

Well, you should only allow access to images with a paid-for password,
then. Once the image is rendered on the user's browser, it's stored
locally and you do not have control over it anymore.

Karl Groves

Matthew Superstar Swass said:
For the averge site, yes. If the site's income is in some way dependant
upon
images, then you are getting into a whole other area.

I subscribe to several image libraries and none of them prevent
right-clicking.
They only show smaller-than-useful version and the only way you can download
the larger version is to be logged in as a subscriber.
So, there's still no reason to prevent right-click

-Karl