Does J2EE 5 contain JDK 6 ?

Lew

Tom said:
I am a bit confused about the naming conventions of Java packages provided by Sun.

In general in the past the J2EE package contains always the last JDK

What are you on about? There are links to download the JEE and JDK together
in a bundle on the page you cite. Also, it has never been true "in general"
that the JEE download "always" includes the JDK; it's an option. I've been
downloading J(2)EE for over seven years and it's never been "always" included.
http://java.sun.com/javaee/downloads/index.jsp

I cannot see that the J2EE 5 contains the JDK 6

It's "JEE 5", not "J2EE 5", and it doesn't. However, there are links on that
very page that let you download the JDK with the JEE as a bundle. The second
download button on the page is labeled "Download with JDK". Doesn't that give
you what you want?
Shouldn't J2EE 5 be named "J2EE 6" otherwise?

No. Not even "JEE 6", because "JEE 5" is the current version.
If I am right: When will be J2EE 6 (with JDK 6 be released) ?

The latest JEE is JEE 5. JDK 6 has been out for months.

Kevin Sandal

Tom Parson said:
I am a bit confused about the naming conventions of Java packages provided
by Sun.

In general in the past the J2EE package contains always the last JDK

The last JDK is 6 as can be seen here:

http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp

But on page

http://java.sun.com/javaee/downloads/index.jsp

I cannot see that the J2EE 5 contains the JDK 6

Shouldn't J2EE 5 be named "J2EE 6" otherwise?

If I am right: When will be J2EE 6 (with JDK 6 be released) ?

Tom

Within the page, you can see there is a separate button for downloading the
J2EE with the JDK. Not sure why they would bother separating them out. Also
wish they never would have mucked with version numbers.

Kevin

Lew

Kevin said:
Within the page, you can see there is a separate button for downloading the
J2EE [sic] with the JDK. Not sure why they would bother separating them out.

Could it be maybe because they are different products?

Many people will not need JEE so it makes sense to let them download the JDK
separately. Many people will already have a JDK, so it makes sense to let
them download JEE separately. Also, JEE is a potpourri of technologies, not
all of which are present in every "JEE" product. A far cry from core Java.

They absolutely have to be separate. Anything else is ludicrous.

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=

Kevin said:
Within the page, you can see there is a separate button for downloading the
J2EE with the JDK. Not sure why they would bother separating them out.

I don't understand why the bundle them at all. People that do not
have or are able to install a separate JDK will not get very far
in JEE programming anyway.
Also
wish they never would have mucked with version numbers.

I completely agree on that one.

Arne