Drill Downs

rikesh

Hi

I have a table, which is bound to a database, how would I go about, making
fields in one column, so that I can drill down on them. For example, I have
a column of Groups, and I wish to click on a group and see the members in
that group.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Kris Eiben

AFAIK there are two basic methods.
1) Server-side. The group is a link to the same page with the group ID
sent in the querystring. When re-creating the page, check that ID when
listing the groups - if it matches the current group's ID, display the
list of members. Note: can only show 1 group's members this way, unless
you build some method for maintaining state into the page.
2) Client-side. When the page is created, load the members for each
group into divs, which all start out hidden. The group is a link that
runs a javascript function to un-hide the correct div. Google for
code - there are many examples out there - or follow up in a client-side
newsgroup.

Kris

rikesh

Cheers Kris

Thanks very much for you reply.

I was hoping to open up a new window displaying members of the group,
however, this may be more difficult???

Kris Eiben

Nah, it's just as easy. Make a new page that takes a group ID in the
querystring and displays all members of that group. Make each group a
link to that page that opens in a new window (such as <a
target="_new">), with that group ID in the querystring.

Note: IIRC each link will open into the same window unless you name the
target windows differently -- maybe use the group name or ID as the
target name (instead of "_new") if you want the user to be able to have
multiple member lists open at once.