    internal e-mail server I can't work out. Can it be done without the need of
    php, asp, java etc. and done with plain html??

    Tim
    Tim, Jul 13, 2005

  2. Tim wrote:

    > I can write the form part ok but I don't know how to set up the e-mailing
    > part, we have out own e-mail server but its just pointing it to our
    > internal e-mail server I can't work out. Can it be done without the need
    > of php, asp, java etc. and done with plain html??

    No. You need a server side form handler (well, there is mailto: but its
    horrible at best, and doesn't work at worst).

    I'd suggest the NMS TFMail script.
    http://nms-cgi.sourceforge.net/scripts.shtml

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is
    David Dorward, Jul 13, 2005

  3. Tim

    Adrienne Guest

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Tim <> writing in

    > I want to produce a web form that will sit on a standard windows
    > server, the user will load the page via a short cut and once they have
    > filled in the form they will hit submit which will e-mail it to a
    > certain e-mail account which will be picked up by our own internal
    > e-mail server. It will then forward the e-mail to a internal e-mail
    > address.
    >
    > I can write the form part ok but I don't know how to set up the
    > e-mailing part, we have out own e-mail server but its just pointing it
    > to our internal e-mail server I can't work out. Can it be done without
    > the need of php, asp, java etc. and done with plain html??
    >
    > Tim

    It depends on what scripting language you are using, and what, if any, mail
    component you are using.

    If I were doing this, I would have the form post to itself, and send mail
    from that page, eg. mail.to = "". Your server would then
    be responsible for forwarding mail in Mary's box to John's box.

    I suggest you contact a group for your kind of server, or for the language
    you will be using.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info
    Adrienne, Jul 13, 2005
  4. Tim

    Jeff Thies Guest

    David Dorward wrote:
    > Tim wrote:
    >

    >>I can write the form part ok but I don't know how to set up the e-mailing
    >>part, we have out own e-mail server but its just pointing it to our
    >>internal e-mail server I can't work out. Can it be done without the need
    >>of php, asp, java etc. and done with plain html??

    > No. You need a server side form handler (well, there is mailto: but its
    > horrible at best, and doesn't work at worst).
    >
    > I'd suggest the NMS TFMail script.
    > http://nms-cgi.sourceforge.net/scripts.shtml

    I'm assuming that needs sendmail, which is rare on a windows box.

    Or am I wrong?

    From my experience sending mail on a windows box is a much ifier
    proposition than you would think. Not sure why... Find out what your
    mail client is, it may be CDONTS, or it may be something else. It may
    work, or it may not.

    Jeff

    Jeff Thies, Jul 14, 2005
  5. Jeff Thies wrote:

    >> I'd suggest the NMS TFMail script.
    >> http://nms-cgi.sourceforge.net/scripts.shtml

    > I'm assuming that needs sendmail, which is rare on a windows box.

    > Or am I wrong?

    Since they provided a zip file, I'd assume not. Still, it only takes 30
    seconds to download it and skim the README.

    If your system lacks a suitable sendmail program, then
    you can configure TFmail to talk directly to an SMTP
    relay rather then using sendmail.

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is
    David Dorward, Jul 14, 2005
  6. David Dorward wrote:

    > No. You need a server side form handler (well, there is mailto: but its
    > horrible at best, and doesn't work at worst).

    I'v read about the problems with mailto but surely if you have something
    like:

    there shouldn't be a problem?

    [...]

    regards,
    --
    Robert
    http://brightonfixedodds.net
    Robert Frost-Bridges, Jul 14, 2005
  7. Robert Frost-Bridges wrote:

    > I'v read about the problems with mailto but surely if you have something
    > like:

    .... then you wouldn't be sending form data, so it doesn't solve the OP's
    problem.

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is
    David Dorward, Jul 14, 2005
  8. David Dorward wrote:

    > Robert Frost-Bridges wrote:
    >
    >> I'v read about the problems with mailto but surely if you have something
    >> like:

    > ... then you wouldn't be sending form data, so it doesn't solve the OP's
    > problem.

    Sorry David, I worded it really badly, I just wanted to ask if it was ok to
    include a mailto link on a page in that format, I wasn't really intending
    to refer to the OP's problem.

    regards,
    Robert Frost-Bridges, Jul 14, 2005
  9. Robert Frost-Bridges wrote:

    > Sorry David, I worded it really badly, I just wanted to ask if it was ok
    > to include a mailto link on a page in that format, I wasn't really
    > intending to refer to the OP's problem.

    I don't see it as a problem, its easy enough to copy/paste the address if
    one's browser doesn't know about one's email client (e.g. gmail).

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is
    David Dorward, Jul 14, 2005
  10. Tim

    kchayka Guest

    David Dorward wrote:

    > (well, there is mailto: but its
    > horrible at best, and doesn't work at worst).

    I don't agree. mailto: doesn't work for all of the people, even some of
    the time, but it does work for some of the people all of the time.

    When I'm given a choice between mailto: and a form, I'll take mailto:
    every time.

    kchayka, Jul 14, 2005
  11. In article <db42gu$f6$1$>,
    David Dorward <> wrote:

    > No. You need a server side form handler (well, there is mailto: but its
    > horrible at best, and doesn't work at worst).

    Where is that RFC defining mailto: that I expected eight years ago? Life
    would be so much simpler.

    leo

    --
    <http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/
    Leonard Blaisdell, Jul 15, 2005
  12. kchayka wrote:

    > I don't agree. mailto: doesn't work for all of the people, even some of
    > the time, but it does work for some of the people all of the time.
    >
    > When I'm given a choice between mailto: and a form, I'll take mailto:
    > every time.

    The subject isn't mailto or a form, its mailto as a form action.

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is
    David Dorward, Jul 15, 2005
  13. Tim

    kchayka Guest

    David Dorward wrote:

    > kchayka wrote:
    >
    >> When I'm given a choice between mailto: and a form, I'll take mailto:
    >> every time.

    > The subject isn't mailto or a form, its mailto as a form action.

    Well then, I change my mind and agree with you 100% - mailto: sucks in
    that case. :)

    kchayka, Jul 15, 2005