early ecom crit

YesItsMe

Blah Blah Blah

Damn! You beat me to it! :)

And yes, top-posting is definitely frowned upon in alt.html. The OP has
been posting to alt.html for a while, which is why Karl made the above
comment.

Toby Inkster

Tomas said:
Not at all, OTOH we know how to get attention. You know, only dead fish
floats with the stream...

The phrase is "only dead fish go with the flow".

Do you wear shoes?

Tomas Holm

Where did you find those stats?

/Tomas
I top post. I'm ranked as one of the top three posters in this newsgroup
by Microsoft's research stats on this NG. *No one* has complained to me
about in on ADG, ever.

I don't speak for anyone else at ADG, and I know you certainly don't.

Matt

Neal

Blah Blah Blah

If you have nothing to add:

1) Don't post.

2) Remove alt.html (at least) from the ng's and post somewhere where
that's appreciated.

You pick. alt.html posters generally don't care for the extra bandwidth
and noise from an uncooperative, uncommunicative dumbass. (That'd be you,
BTW.)

Toby Inkster

Tomas said:
What! You'r saing I'm not a fish? Gee!

I'm saying that convention in our society is to wear shoes. If you wear
shoes, then you're simply following convention, going with the flow, like
a dead fish.

Is this true? Of course not. People wear shoes for many practical reasons
-- to make walking on rough surfaces more comfortable; to keep their feet
dry and warm on a cold, wet day; and perhaps even to look stylish.

Similarly, following proper posting conventions is not just going with the
flow -- people post properly for many practical reasons. Well, that's a
lie. For one practical reason -- it makes life much easier for the people
at the other end who have to read the message.

Perhaps you have to spend a few extra moments thinking about your post,
but it if it saves a few extra moments for each of the (perhaps) hundreds
or thousands of people who will read that message over the course of time,
then it's worth it in my opinion.

And it's not just a matter of where you put your text, but a little
thought about your spelling, grammar, punctuation and text layout will
save your readers valuable time. Readers will feel happier about reading
your messages and more likely to read messages you post in the future.
Can you read top posts?

I have to put them through Babelfish. It's an awful pain.

Neal

Inkster at

Little news for you... you don't have to read the messages if you don't
want
to.

Cris, thank you. That's precisely the point.

The folks who ask on alt.html how to do a footer that appears at the
bottom of the viewport or lower or how to make their images leap up and
down to a disco beat, they want an answer, don't they?

If they post in a manner that is difficult to read, we have the option of
not reading them. That means a lot of answers won't get put out.

Especially in a subject like HTML, it's critical to be able to easily
follow the thread. That's why selective quoting and conversational-order
posting is so important here. Whe the posts are a jumbled mess, it's much
harder to give a good response.

I'm not saying you have to like it. But if someone's looking for an
alt.html reg to answer a question, they should follow convention. If they
don't, we request that they do. If they fail to, we don't read the posts
anymore.

If we do not advise them to use better practice in posting, we must then
either waste a lot of our free time straightening out someone else's mess,
or ignore the poster. Neither is a helpful circumstance.

Cris Zalika

they want an answer

What people want is not always what they get. Or they get nothing. It is
not guaranteed that anyone will get anything in a newsgroup.

You may want bottom posting, someone else may want an answer to a question,
both of those desires may not get met in a newsgroup.

The desires of people are irrelevant to what actually happens in a
newsgroup.

Neal

(e-mail address removed)
wrote on 10/02/2004 10:20 PM:

You've extrapolated quite creatively from the four words you've quoted,
however I'm afraid not terribly logically. My statement was essentially
that if you desire an answer, you'll increase your chances of a good one
by employing posting techniques which facilitate comprehensive reading. I
never intended to express that one can expect an answer if they ask a
question - my apologies if that's the message that was inadvertently sent.
What people want is not always what they get. Or they get nothing. It
is
not guaranteed that anyone will get anything in a newsgroup.

Indeed. But if they want to get the best odds, they need their message
easily understood by the reader.
You may want bottom posting, someone else may want an answer to a
question,
both of those desires may not get met in a newsgroup.

In short, your analogy equating bottom-posting to wanting an answer to a
question is flawed.

Desiring an answer is largely a selfish endeavor, and I don't mean that
disparagingly. While others who search the archives might benefit from the
discussion, accurate responses are largely going to benefit the asker.

However, if the poor sap searching the archives finds it difficult to sort
the order of speakers due to confused posting, no one else is really
helped. And certainly the posters in the thread will have greater
difficulty following the flow of ideas.

Conversational-order posting is, by contrast to wanting a correct answer,
not selfish. It is desired to enable readers to more easily digest the
content. It's (potentially) a little more work by one person to save a lot
of work by others who may be able to teach you something valuable.
The desires of people are irrelevant to what actually happens in a
newsgroup.

From a realist's standpoint, there's no guarantee you'll ever be treated
fairly. We still aspire to a culture where respect regularly happens,
however. One form of respect is showing awareness that the folks who could
provide a helpful response do so in their free time at no cost to you. A
good way to demonstrate that awareness is to organize the post carefully
to maximize readability.

Consider, also, that the main topic of alt.html is website authoring,
which is essentially publishing content for download to a myriad of user
agents. Being good at organizing content in a post is certainly relevant
to the goals of web authoring, isn't it?

Cris Zalika

You've extrapolated quite creatively from the four words you've quoted,
however I'm afraid not terribly logically.

Logic is not what always happens in a newsgroup. You should know that.

People want certain responses, they expect certain responses, when they
don't get what they want or expect they often react in emotional ways.

Not logical ways.

Indeed. But if they want to get the best odds, they need their message
easily understood by the reader.

Even if all the "rules" are followed there is still no guarantee that
anything that they want or expect will result.

You are making the assumption that most of the readers of newsgroup messages
will respond in a logical way.

That is what YOU desire, that is what YOU expect. Another case of someone
expecting something from a newsgroup that has no logical basis.

However, if the poor sap searching the archives finds it difficult to sort
the order of speakers due to confused posting, no one else is really
helped.

Who wrote what is not nearly as important as what is written in that case.
The person looking for his "answer" does not care who wrote it, he is just
looking for the words... who wrote it is irrelevant.

certainly the posters in the thread will have greater
difficulty following the flow of ideas.

There may be no desire on the part of the authors to make it easy on anyone.
You are making the assumption that authors care about the "reader's" grasp
of the ideas.

You seem to have difficulty grasping this idea. And I am bottom posting
below your quoted text...

It is desired to enable readers to more easily digest the
content.

Some people don't care if you or anyone digests anything.

others who may be able to teach you something valuable.

What authors of messages desire is almost irrelevant to what the reader
chooses to "learn" from a message.

The reader has all the power to choose how valuable the message is to the
reader. The author has no control over what the reader sees as valuable in
the message.

From a realist's standpoint, there's no guarantee you'll ever be treated
fairly. We still aspire to a culture where respect regularly happens,
however. One form of respect is showing awareness that the folks who could
provide a helpful response do so in their free time at no cost to you. A
good way to demonstrate that awareness is to organize the post carefully
to maximize readability.

Shrug. Some people don't see that as relevant to their needs. They just
want what they want and don't care about such stuff.

Matt Bostock

Tomas said:
Where did you find those stats?

I forget... they're part of a Microsoft project to sociologically track
the use of NGs if I remember correctly.

Matt

Matt Bostock

Mark said:
And yes, top-posting is definitely frowned upon in alt.html. The OP has
been posting to alt.html for a while, which is why Karl made the above
comment.

Fair enough - my sincere apologies!

Matt