    workstation?
    Will it freeze up or slow everything down?

    , Nov 5, 2008

  2. Lew Guest

    On Nov 5, 2:58 pm, "" <> wrote:
    > I have 2GB Ram and 2 GHz of processing power on my Windows XP.
    >
    > I also have Tomcat and an Oracle development database and Oracle
    > client.
    >
    > Should I attempt to put the latest Eclipse for J2EE as my IDE on this
    > workstation?

    Sure.

    > Will it freeze up or slow everything down?

    I run IDEs on Windows XP and on Linux with about the same processor
    speed as yours, but only 1 GB RAM. I tend to prefer NetBeans, but I
    do it with Eclipse (and its offspring) also. It's not the fastest
    configuration, but it works all right.

    If you get a second machine, move the database to it. Databases tune
    very differently from other applications. If you have a dedicated
    database server you can do more to enhance the DBMS performance than
    if it has to share with other apps.

    In a development environment performance is rarely the primary issue.

    --
    Lew

    Lew, Nov 5, 2008

    On Nov 5, 3:15 pm, Lew <> wrote:
    > On Nov 5, 2:58 pm, "" <> wrote:
    >
    > > I have 2GB Ram and 2 GHz of processing power on my Windows XP.

    > > I also have Tomcat and an Oracle development database and Oracle
    > > client.

    > > Should I attempt to put the latest Eclipse for J2EE as my IDE on this
    > > workstation?

    > Sure.
    >
    > > Will it freeze up or slow everything down?

    > I run IDEs on Windows XP and on Linux with about the same processor
    > speed as yours, but only 1 GB RAM.  I tend to prefer NetBeans, but I
    > do it with Eclipse (and its offspring) also.  It's not the fastest
    > configuration, but it works all right.
    >
    > If you get a second machine, move the database to it.  Databases tune
    > very differently from other applications.  If you have a dedicated
    > database server you can do more to enhance the DBMS performance than
    > if it has to share with other apps.
    >
    > In a development environment performance is rarely the primary issue.
    >
    > --
    > Lew

    Thanks

    , Nov 5, 2008
  4. Arne Vajhøj Guest

    wrote:
    > I have 2GB Ram and 2 GHz of processing power on my Windows XP.
    >
    > I also have Tomcat and an Oracle development database and Oracle
    > client.
    >
    > Should I attempt to put the latest Eclipse for J2EE as my IDE on this
    > workstation?
    > Will it freeze up or slow everything down?

    You can install it.

    It will only use resources when actually used.

    Running Eclipse + Tomcat + Oracle (XE I presume) on a
    development box should be OK.

    Arne

    Arne Vajhøj, Nov 5, 2008
  5. Wojtek Guest

    wrote :
    > I have 2GB Ram and 2 GHz of processing power on my Windows XP.
    >
    > I also have Tomcat and an Oracle development database and Oracle
    > client.
    >
    > Should I attempt to put the latest Eclipse for J2EE as my IDE on this
    > workstation?
    > Will it freeze up or slow everything down?

    I am using a single core 2GHz with 2GBytes of ram. Usualy running
    config:
    - Eclipse - given 768M ram
    - MS SQL
    - Visual Studio to access the DB
    - Tomcat - given 768M ram

    Performance is fine. If anything I want to get more ram as I sometimes
    go over 2.5G used.

    --
    Wojtek :)

    Wojtek, Nov 6, 2008
  6. Arne Vajhøj Guest

    Steve Sobol wrote:
    > On 2008-11-05, <> wrote:
    >> I have 2GB Ram and 2 GHz of processing power on my Windows XP.
    >>
    >> I also have Tomcat and an Oracle development database and Oracle
    >> client.
    >>
    >> Should I attempt to put the latest Eclipse for J2EE as my IDE on this
    >> workstation?
    >> Will it freeze up or slow everything down?

    > I ran Eclipse successfully on my previous laptop with a 2GHz Celeron and only
    > 640MB of RAM. You should have no problems with your setup.

    Tomcat and Oracle may require a few KB ...

    Arne

    Arne Vajhøj, Nov 7, 2008