Eclipse IDE

teser3

I have 2GB Ram and 2 GHz of processing power on my Windows XP.

I also have Tomcat and an Oracle development database and Oracle
client.

Should I attempt to put the latest Eclipse for J2EE as my IDE on this
workstation?
Will it freeze up or slow everything down?

Lew

I have 2GB Ram and 2 GHz of processing power on my Windows XP.

I also have Tomcat and an Oracle development database and Oracle
client.

Should I attempt to put the latest Eclipse for J2EE as my IDE on this
workstation?
Sure.

Will it freeze up or slow everything down?

I run IDEs on Windows XP and on Linux with about the same processor
speed as yours, but only 1 GB RAM. I tend to prefer NetBeans, but I
do it with Eclipse (and its offspring) also. It's not the fastest
configuration, but it works all right.

If you get a second machine, move the database to it. Databases tune
very differently from other applications. If you have a dedicated
database server you can do more to enhance the DBMS performance than
if it has to share with other apps.

In a development environment performance is rarely the primary issue.

teser3

I run IDEs on Windows XP and on Linux with about the same processor
speed as yours, but only 1 GB RAM.  I tend to prefer NetBeans, but I
do it with Eclipse (and its offspring) also.  It's not the fastest
configuration, but it works all right.

If you get a second machine, move the database to it.  Databases tune
very differently from other applications.  If you have a dedicated
database server you can do more to enhance the DBMS performance than
if it has to share with other apps.

In a development environment performance is rarely the primary issue.

Thanks

Arne Vajhøj

I have 2GB Ram and 2 GHz of processing power on my Windows XP.

I also have Tomcat and an Oracle development database and Oracle
client.

Should I attempt to put the latest Eclipse for J2EE as my IDE on this
workstation?
Will it freeze up or slow everything down?

You can install it.

It will only use resources when actually used.

Running Eclipse + Tomcat + Oracle (XE I presume) on a
development box should be OK.

Arne

Wojtek

I have 2GB Ram and 2 GHz of processing power on my Windows XP.

I also have Tomcat and an Oracle development database and Oracle
client.

Should I attempt to put the latest Eclipse for J2EE as my IDE on this
workstation?
Will it freeze up or slow everything down?

I am using a single core 2GHz with 2GBytes of ram. Usualy running
config:
- Eclipse - given 768M ram
- MS SQL
- Visual Studio to access the DB
- Tomcat - given 768M ram

Performance is fine. If anything I want to get more ram as I sometimes
go over 2.5G used.

Arne Vajhøj

Steve said:
I ran Eclipse successfully on my previous laptop with a 2GHz Celeron and only
640MB of RAM. You should have no problems with your setup.

Tomcat and Oracle may require a few KB ...

Arne