    Is there another way to track bounced back emails?

    Thanks.
    Vani

    VK, Dec 17, 2003

  2. > Is there another way to track bounced back emails?

    ASP in and of itself can't track anything like this. And sorry, if the
    remote mail servers are just swallowing up your messages and stuffing them
    into dev/null, there is no way for any other system to track them either.
    They're just gone.

    If you have a lot of messages like this that are being rejected because the
    recipient is invalid, then it might be telling you something (e.g. get a
    more reliable, read: OPT IN list!).

    If your content is of any value, you should be able to track *successful*
    e-mails (because they will go to your site with a referral link, etc). The
    delta represents unsuccessful (regardless of the reason). You can also set
    CDO to demand return receipts so, even if the e-mails are not "successful"
    per se, and are merely deleted by the recipient, you can at least know they
    were delivered successfully. See http://www.aspfaq.com/2252 for details.

    --
    Aaron Bertrand
    SQL Server MVP
    Aaron Bertrand - MVP, Dec 17, 2003

  3. VK

    VK Guest

    To elaborate a little more, emailing part is controlled by users. Each
    user nominates (via entering their email address) their "raters"(about
    10 to 15 of them) and each group has about 40-50 such users. This would
    be for one project and we have more than one, online.

    This volume is high to monitor read receipts.

    thanks.

    VK, Dec 17, 2003
  4. > This volume is high to monitor read receipts.

    HUH? Originally, you said:

    >> Our product/application replies a lot on bounced back emails, that way
    >> we correct this and let the client know.

    So, can you describe the difference between receipts and bounces? If you
    send out 5000 e-mails, and half or failures, you are either going to have to
    process 2500 rejects or 2500 successes. I'm not sure how volume impacts
    choosing one way over another; though what I previously said still stands:
    you can't rely on failed deliveries to be reported.

    --
    Aaron Bertrand
    SQL Server MVP
    Aaron Bertrand - MVP, Dec 17, 2003
  5. VK

    VK Guest

    Bounced backs emails are those that are undeliverables - they return to
    our inbox stating as undeliverables. that way we know that this email is
    incorrect and hence we were able to track emails that were faulty.

    VK, Dec 17, 2003
  6. Look, I was only suggesting an alternative. If it's "too much," then don't
    use it. Simple, huh?

    --
    Aaron Bertrand
    SQL Server MVP

    Aaron Bertrand - MVP, Dec 17, 2003
  7. VK

    Ray at Guest

    You won't find your easiest solution using ASP. Export the bounce back
    messages to a some sort of a datasource and then compare it against your
    database of e-mail addresses to filter out the bounce backs.

    Ray at work

    Ray at, Dec 17, 2003
  8. > You won't find your easiest solution using ASP. Export the bounce back
    > messages to a some sort of a datasource and then compare it against your
    > database of e-mail addresses to filter out the bounce backs.

    Not to belabor the point, but VK expects to somehow track the messages that
    are sent to invalid addresses but are *NOT* bounced, but rather merely
    swallowed by the remote mail server (/dev/null, bit bucket, recycle bin,
    circular file, what have you).

    So my suggestion was to track the *successful* IMHO, if he's getting enough
    bounces that it's an issue, volume either way shouldn't be an inhibitor.

    --
    Aaron Bertrand
    SQL Server MVP
    Aaron Bertrand [MVP], Dec 19, 2003