    Please review this log entry to discover what caused this error to occur.

    why ????

    thanks, alf.
    alf, Jan 27, 2004

  2. What did the event log say?

    Here's something to try:

    http://authors.aspalliance.com/kenc/faq2.aspx

    As a caveat, not this technique posted by an MS person:

    "Basically, this is not recommended because it will make your system
    vulnerable. By running the process as the System account this basically
    means that if anyone were able to get control of this process they would
    have all of the priviledges that SYSTEM would have on the server and as you
    know it has many.
    My suggestion would be to Create a weak account that has the correct
    permissions, and then
    configure the <processModel> section of the Machine.config file to use
    that account.
    Here are some simple steps you can follow to grant NTFS permissions.
    Keep in mind that if you are running the 1.0 framework you will need to
    replace v1.1.4322 with v1.0.3705
    1. Create the domain user and grant it "Log on as a Service", "Log on as a
    Batch Job", "Deny Logon Locally", “Access this Computer from the Network”
    2. Add domain user to the local Users Group
    3. Grant domain user read access to C:\Winnt\microsoft.net
    4. Grant domain user Full Control to C:\WINNT\TEMP
    5. Grant domain user Full Control to
    C:\winnt\Microsoft.Net\framework\v1.1.4322\Temporary Asp.Net files
    6. Grant domain user Read access
    toC:\WINNT\Microsoft.Net\Framework\v1.1.4322
    7. Ensure domain user has Read access
    toC:\Winnt\Microsoft.Net\Framework\v1.1.4322\config
    8. Ensure domain user has Read access to C:\Winnt\Assembly
    Note: You should use the following command to add permissions to this
    folder because it is a special folder and does not have a security tab
    cacls c:\winnt\assembly /e /t /p domain\useraccount:R

    9. Modify the
    c:\winnt\microsoft.net\framework\v1.1.4322\config\machine.config under
    <processModel> change these lines to read
    Username="domain\user"
    Password="password"
    10. Restart IIS for the machine.config changes to take effect"

    Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP], Jan 27, 2004