Error on deployment in ASP.NET 2.0

Guest

I have an ASP.NET 2.0 application (in VB) based on the Personal Site Starter
kit that runs perfectly (no erros, no warnings, no exceptions) when run from
Visual Studio 2005 Team Suite using the development server VS contains. When
I publish it to a real server running Windows Server 2003, IIS 6, and .NET
Framework 2.0, I get strange compiler errors (even though the app was built
(to IL) on the development machine). All of the errors have to do with
either the @ Page directive or on an "Eval" or "Bind" operation with a
database table displayed in a Gridview. All of them claim that some field of
the @Page direction such as Title is not a member of the page or they claim
that "Eval" or "Bind" is not a member of the page class.

The weird thing is that if I refresh the page in the browser several times,
I always have some error, but the nature of the error may be different for
different refreshes. It will usually cycle back to the first error
eventually.

Here is one such error that occurs frequently:

Compiler Error Message: BC30456: 'Title' is not a member of
'ASP.courses_4956aspnet_aspx'.

Source Error:

Line 1: <%@ page language="VB" masterpagefile="~/Default.master"
autoeventwireup="false" inherits="Courses_ASPNET,
App_Web_4956aspnet.aspx.9c22a962" title="Don Bailes | ASP.NET"
maintainscrollpositiononpostback="true" stylesheettheme="White" %>
Line 2:
Line 3: <asp:Content ID="Content1" runat="server"
ContentPlaceHolderID="Main">

Here is the @ Page directive from the actual page:

<%@ Page Language="VB"
MasterPageFile="~/Default.master"
AutoEventWireup="false"
CompilationMode="Auto"
CodeFile="4956ASPNET.aspx.vb"
Inherits="Courses_ASPNET"
Title="Don Bailes | ASP.NET"
MaintainScrollPositionOnPostback="true"%>
Another frequent error is shown below:

Compiler Error Message: BC30456: 'Eval' is not a member of
'ASP.courses_4956aspnet_aspx'.

Source Error:

Line 83: <asp:TemplateField HeaderText="Link" SortExpression="Link">
Line 84: <EditItemTemplate>
Line 85: <asp:TextBox ID="TextBox1" runat="server"
Text='<%# Bind("Link")
%>'></asp:TextBox>
Line 86: </EditItemTemplate>

Again, there are no errors and no warnings and no exceptions when run from
VS2005 using the developer's server. There are no errors or other issues
when publishing to the real server. Almost every page exhibits some error
like the above, however, when one browses to site with a browser (IE6, IE7
beta 3, FireFox, Opera, etc.).

Any help or suggestions for where to look that you can offer would be most
welcome. I've not had any luck with MSDN, the KB, or any other resource so
far.

Thank you in advance - very much.

Me

Have you checked that :

1)You have the .net framework installed on the machine that youre
deploying to?
2)Your application is mapped under IIS to asp.net 2.0, to check this
right click your application in IIS and select proeprties. you will see
an asp.net tab, make sure you have the version of .net framework
selected
3)IIS serves up aspx pages written in .net 2.0 correctly

Guest

Thank you for the response. I have indeed checked the first two items you
mentioned. All seems well there - especially since on rare occasions one of
the pages will be displayed, error-free, but this is non-repeatable and
unpredictable. On nearly trivial sites without much programmer written code,
no database access, no master pages, etc., set up just to test something,
everything seems to work OK.

As far as item 3 on your list, it definitely seems there is a problem here
(unless there is another possibility I have not considered). How does one
determine the answer to your question other than by running into anomalies
like this one? What does one do to resolve the problem?

I should have noted that while the properties show that Net 2.0 is being
used for this site, the same server is still serving .net 1.1 sites that have
not been converted to .net 2.0. Is there a known issue with such situations?

Again, thank you for your response and your suggestions. I would appreciate
any further thoughts you may have.

Me

Hi

You can check whether asp.net pages are being served up correctly
simply by creating a page (call it test.aspx) and just placing a
response.write statement in it. However ensure that asp.net 2.0
framework is used to process this page.

If the page works, then asp.net framework is installed and working.
If it doesnt, then it sounds like you may have a problem with .net 2.0
framework. You may want to try a reinstall on this, (im not sure if you
can do a repair)

Im not fully understanding what you say about some sites saying 1.1
under IIS. From my understanding, asp,.net 1.1 and 2.0 can coexist
onthe same machine. However an application runs only under the context
of a single framework version and this is set under IIS

I hope this helps