Executing application on PC from cell phone

logiclips

Hi,

I want to copy files which are located on a cell phone to a desktop-PC
via USB, Infrared or BT by starting an application on the cell phone.
This application should give the user the opportunity to select data
and to transfer them. No interaction on the PC should be needed.

Does anybody has some experience with that? Is this possible (e.g. with
Java2me, etc.)?

Thanks in Advance,

Peter Vermeer

Rhino

Hi,

I want to copy files which are located on a cell phone to a desktop-PC
via USB, Infrared or BT by starting an application on the cell phone.
This application should give the user the opportunity to select data
and to transfer them. No interaction on the PC should be needed.

Does anybody has some experience with that? Is this possible (e.g. with
Java2me, etc.)?
It's certainly possible to transfer _information_ from a cell phone to a
PC - I do that all the time with my PDA via HotSync - but I'm not sure about
the exact technique for transferring a specific file. I've done a bit of
J2ME stuff, although I'm rusty now, but I've never seen a midlet version of
an FTP program, which is essentially what you appear to want. However, it
seems entirely possible to me that such a thing *could* exist.

There are several JSRs that deal with files (JSR 75) or wireless messaging
(JSR 120, JSR 205) and that is probably an incomplete list. Your particular
phone *MAY* have code that can transfer files or at least may run a program
that does that sort of file transfer if you have support for the appropriate
JSRs on it. In that case, all you'd have to do is track down a program that
does what you want and install it.

I realize that none of what I've said so far is much help; I've really just
said that what you want seems conceptually possible and isn't completely
off-the-wall impossible. There isn't a lot more anyone can do unless you
identify the specific phone model that you have, e.g. Nokia ABC123.

There is quite a bit of software, some of it shareware and freeware,
emerging for cell phones and PDAs. If you go to your favourite
freeware/shareware site, you may well find software that does what you want.
It may not run on your phone though; many cell phones and PDAs have only
very limited capabilities while others can do quite a lot. For instance, if
you go to http://tucows.com/, you'll see an area on the home page identified
as "Windows Downloads" with a box entitled "PDA" and links for Palm OS,
Pocket PC and other PDA/cell operating systems. If you look under the
appropriate operating system, you may find something that will run on your
device. Naturally, you could also Google to find shrinkwrap programs that
meet your needs.

There are also a number of websites dedicated specifically to programmers
who are developing for these devices. If you want to try your hand at
writing your own midlet (Java application for a PDA or cell), you can find
advice and help at these sites. One such site is http://www.javaranch.com/.
If you check out their forums (in the "Big Moose Saloon"), you'll find
discussion of many aspects of programming for small devices, particularly
in the "Java 2 Micro Edition" area.

Rhino

Jack

I've never seen a midlet version of
an FTP program, which is essentially what you appear to want.

or POSTing with J2ME's HttpConnection, while being wary of the chunked
encoding which comes into play > 4k. (E.g. I don't think a Tomcat on
the PC understands chunked.)