  1. Eric B

    Eric B Guest

    You will be missed.

    Eric B, Jan 3, 2006

  2. On 3 Jan 2006 07:25:03 -0800, "Eric B" <> wrote:

    >You will be missed.

    Details?

    Roland Pibinger, Jan 3, 2006

  3. Eric B

    Eric B Guest

    CMP Media has discontinued CUJ, and will roll some of its coverage into
    DDJ, according to a cover letter sent with the Feb 2006 issue.

    Eric B, Jan 3, 2006
  4. Eric B wrote:
    > CMP Media has discontinued CUJ, and will roll some of its coverage into
    > DDJ, according to a cover letter sent with the Feb 2006 issue.

    C++ Report, now CUJ...what C++ magazines remain?
    Cheers
    --
    Mateusz Ã…oskot
    http://mateusz.loskot.net

    =?UTF-8?B?TWF0ZXVzeiDFgW9za290?=, Jan 3, 2006
  5. Eric B

    James Juno Guest

    Eric B wrote:
    > CMP Media has discontinued CUJ, and will roll some of its coverage into
    > DDJ, according to a cover letter sent with the Feb 2006 issue.

    Oh goody. And of course DDJ is nice and lean with few ads or java
    articles to get in the way.

    Blah.

    James Juno, Jan 3, 2006
  6. Eric B

    Allan Wind Guest

    On 2006-01-03, Roland Pibinger <> wrote:
    > On 3 Jan 2006 07:25:03 -0800, "Eric B" <> wrote:
    >
    >>You will be missed.

    > Details?

    The current issue had a page glued on the front of the magazine
    indicating that the issue would be the last. Remaining subscriptions
    are rolled over to Dr. Dobb's Journal, or refunded if you send them a
    letter asking for it (I did).

    /Allan

    Allan Wind, Jan 3, 2006
  7. On 3 Jan 2006 12:10:25 -0800, "Eric B" <> wrote:

    >CMP Media has discontinued CUJ, and will roll some of its coverage into
    >DDJ, according to a cover letter sent with the Feb 2006 issue.

    That really is bad news! Albeit not entirely unexpected. IMO, there
    are two main reasons:

    1.AFAIK, CUJ had no full-time editor since Marc Briand left years ago.
    A monthly magazine dealing with a complex subject like C++ cannot do
    without someone primarily responsible for the contents, for the choice
    of columnists and, last not least, for the economic foundation
    (attracting advertisers, ...).

    2. In the last years CUJ focussed too much on experimental (a.k.a.
    "Modern", a.k.a. "Boost", ...) C++ programming which, due to its
    complexity and meager 'return on investment', is not attractive for
    most real-world programmers. Especially some of the columnists just
    presented what's interesting to them without considering if it's
    usable or even understandable for a larger audience of C++
    programmers.

    I hope that some online magazine will fill the void, something like
    CodeProject (which unfortunately is targeted primarily at Windows
    technology).

    Farewell CUJ, I'll keep my old copies!
    Roland Pibinger

    Roland Pibinger, Jan 3, 2006
  8. Eric B

    red floyd Guest

    Eric B wrote:
    > CMP Media has discontinued CUJ, and will roll some of its coverage into
    > DDJ, according to a cover letter sent with the Feb 2006 issue.

    Will I get a refund on my subscription?

    red floyd, Jan 3, 2006
  9. Eric B

    Eric B Guest

    Roland Pibinger wrote:
    > 2. In the last years CUJ focussed too much on experimental (a.k.a.
    > "Modern", a.k.a. "Boost", ...) C++ programming which, due to its
    > complexity and meager 'return on investment', is not attractive for
    > most real-world programmers. Especially some of the columnists just
    > presented what's interesting to them without considering if it's
    > usable or even understandable for a larger audience of C++
    > programmers.

    That's funny... Its coverage of "modern" concepts is what I loved about
    it. You can go anywhere to find the basics covered.

    Eric

    Eric B, Jan 3, 2006
  10. Eric B wrote:
    > You will be missed.

    I think it is continuation of C++ is DEAD forum... aka troll

    puzzlecracker, Jan 4, 2006
  11. Eric B

    Jeff Flinn Guest

    "Eric B" <> wrote in message

    > Roland Pibinger wrote:
    >> 2. In the last years CUJ focussed too much on experimental (a.k.a.
    >> "Modern", a.k.a. "Boost", ...) C++ programming which, due to its
    >> complexity and meager 'return on investment', is not attractive for
    >> most real-world programmers. Especially some of the columnists just
    >> presented what's interesting to them without considering if it's
    >> usable or even understandable for a larger audience of C++
    >> programmers.

    > That's funny... Its coverage of "modern" concepts is what I loved about
    > it. You can go anywhere to find the basics covered.

    I agree. I had just sent in for a 3 year subscription for the first time, so
    this is all probably my fault. :)

    Jeff

    Jeff Flinn, Jan 4, 2006
  12. Eric B

    red floyd Guest

    You may be right. www.cuj.com says absolutely nothing about this.

    red floyd, Jan 4, 2006
  13. Eric B

    Jeff Flinn Guest

    "red floyd" <> wrote in message
    > puzzlecracker wrote:
    >>
    >> I think it is continuation of C++ is DEAD forum... aka troll
    >>

    > You may be right. www.cuj.com says absolutely nothing about this.

    But the letter posted to the cover of my Feb issue does.

    Jeff Flinn, Jan 4, 2006
  14. Eric B

    Mr360 Guest

    >puzzlecracker wrote:
    > Eric B wrote:
    > > You will be missed.

    > I think it is continuation of C++ is DEAD forum... aka troll

    Sorry, puzz, but it's no troll. I got the same letter booger-glued to
    my Feb issue as well. It's true that the web sites don't mention this.

    Chuck

    Mr360, Jan 4, 2006
  15. Mr360 wrote:
    > >puzzlecracker wrote:
    > > Eric B wrote:
    > > > You will be missed.

    > > I think it is continuation of C++ is DEAD forum... aka troll

    > Sorry, puzz, but it's no troll. I got the same letter booger-glued to
    > my Feb issue as well. It's true that the web sites don't mention this.
    >
    > Chuck

    That sucks. I only received two issues out of 12 for this year and am
    afraid that next one will be the last.............................

    puzzlecracker, Jan 4, 2006
  16. Eric B

    Mr360 Guest

    Here's the address to write for a refund:

    C/C++ Users Journal
    P.O. Box 52582
    Boulder, CO 80322-2582

    Are you saying you didn't see this on your Feb issue?

    Mr360, Jan 4, 2006
  17. Eric B

    red floyd Guest

    Mr360 wrote:
    > Here's the address to write for a refund:
    >
    > C/C++ Users Journal
    > P.O. Box 52582
    > Boulder, CO 80322-2582
    >
    > Are you saying you didn't see this on your Feb issue?

    I didn't *GET* my Feb issue yet.

    red floyd, Jan 4, 2006
  18. Eric B

    Dave Guest

    "Mr360" <> wrote in message

    >>puzzlecracker wrote:
    >> Eric B wrote:
    >> > You will be missed.

    >> I think it is continuation of C++ is DEAD forum... aka troll

    > Sorry, puzz, but it's no troll. I got the same letter booger-glued to
    > my Feb issue as well. It's true that the web sites don't mention this.
    >
    > Chuck

    It's also odd that it's not mentioned in the magazine itself either.

    So, how long before the void is filled by some entrepreneurial soul from
    comp.lang.c++?

    Dave, Jan 4, 2006
  19. Dave wrote:
    > "Mr360" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>puzzlecracker wrote:
    > >>

    > >> I think it is continuation of C++ is DEAD forum... aka troll

    > > Sorry, puzz, but it's no troll. I got the same letter booger-glued to
    > > my Feb issue as well. It's true that the web sites don't mention this.
    > >
    > > Chuck
    > >

    > It's also odd that it's not mentioned in the magazine itself either.
    >
    > So, how long before the void is filled by some entrepreneurial soul from
    > comp.lang.c++?

    to find answers to this question you need to look at C++ is DEAD topic
    (recent one), even bjorne commented something ....

    puzzlecracker, Jan 4, 2006
  20. puzzlecracker wrote:
    > Dave wrote:
    > [..]
    >>So, how long before the void is filled by some entrepreneurial soul from
    >>comp.lang.c++?

    > to find answers to this question you need to look at C++ is DEAD topic
    > (recent one), even bjorne commented something ....

    It's "Dr. Stroustrup" to you.

    Victor Bazarov, Jan 4, 2006