Fetching ActiveState PPD files without Installing them

John Ramsden

I am testing a Perl app on a lab system which has no link
to the Internet, and I need to install an ActiveState perl
module, Net::DNS.

Is there a way to use ppm, or ppm3, or _any_ way to simply
retrieve the ppd file from whichever repository a normal
'install' would have obtained it, so I can copy this via
our intranet on to the lab system and install it 'locally'
by typing 'ppm install Net-DNS.ppd'.

(I'm sure I asked this on c.l.p.m a few months ago, and not
one person replied; but may have been another question, and
anyway I guess there's no harm trying again.)

P.S. Please spare me any answers along the lines of 'set up
a routing config so the lab system can see the outside world',
as these will be useless: I also need to be able to get hold
of the PPDs to assemble a self-contained installation kit of
the software for use at at customer sites.

Thanks in anticipation.

Cheers

John R Ramsden (john`rm -rf *`_ramsden.sagitta-ps.com)

(remove spambot trap before replying)

Sisyphus

Graham said:
John Ramsden wrote:

ActiveState's website has a repository of zipped ppd archives that you
can download and install using ppm from a local folder.

http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Downloads/ActivePerl/PPM/Zips

Just look for the zipfile that corresponds to the modules you're looking
for.

Hope this helps

Graham

One (minor?) problem with this is that (afaik) the zips aren't updated
all that often, so you might miss out on the most recent version of the
module that you're installing. (Otoh, the ppm's get updated regularly.)

With my version of ppm I can run:
ppm set clean 0
ppm set build C:\ppms

and the ppm's of any packages that I install will be saved in C:\ppms.

I think the ppm's can also be grabbed without doing an install - but I'm
not sure how.

My version of ppm is not the most recent, and I'm unsure of how it has
changed. To see the various options that I can set I run:
ppm help set

ActiveState now hosts a ppm-specific mailing list. You might also try there.

Hth.

Cheers,
Rob