FFT on Virtex-II Pro (how to download .dat file?)

Discussion in 'VHDL' started by Vitaliy, Dec 8, 2006.

  1. Vitaliy

    Vitaliy Guest

    Hello,

    I am using FFT v.3.2 core from Xilinx to implement FFT algorithm on
    FPGA. I would like to download .dat file as my input (which is digital
    representation of sinusoidal wave shown below) to test the real-time
    functionality

    -12539
    -32767
    -12539

    I'm not sure if the above data would show up in the correct format in
    the newsgroup, but each line represents a point on sine line (.dat file
    taken from sample files on Xilinx website - sine_9_375mhz.dat).

    Now, I would like to download the project into FPGA and test (using
    ..dat file) it. Is there a way to download .dat file into FPGA block
    memory?

    The connectors I have:
    1) Parallel IV cable
    2) CF card

    The software I have (all full educational versions):
    1) Xilinx ISE
    2) Chipscope Pro
    3) FPGA Advantage

    I do not currently have A/D converters on FPGA board. I received a
    suggestion that I can use counter to represent the sine wave; however,
    I would need to perform further operations on the data (which would be
    different than constant frequency sinusoidal wave), so using counters
    to create those signals would not be the optimal solution for me.

    Thanks,

    Vitaliy
    Ryerson University
    Vitaliy, Dec 8, 2006

  2. Vitaliy

    Gabor Guest

    Vitaliy wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I am using FFT v.3.2 core from Xilinx to implement FFT algorithm on
    > FPGA. I would like to download .dat file as my input (which is digital
    > representation of sinusoidal wave shown below) to test the real-time
    > functionality
    >
    > 0
    > 30273
    > 23170
    > -12539
    > -32767
    > -12539
    > 23170
    > 30273
    >
    > I'm not sure if the above data would show up in the correct format in
    > the newsgroup, but each line represents a point on sine line (.dat file
    > taken from sample files on Xilinx website - sine_9_375mhz.dat).
    >
    > Now, I would like to download the project into FPGA and test (using
    > .dat file) it. Is there a way to download .dat file into FPGA block
    > memory?
    >
    > The connectors I have:
    > 1) Parallel IV cable
    > 2) CF card
    >
    > The software I have (all full educational versions):
    > 1) Xilinx ISE
    > 2) Chipscope Pro
    > 3) FPGA Advantage
    >
    > I do not currently have A/D converters on FPGA board. I received a
    > suggestion that I can use counter to represent the sine wave; however,
    > I would need to perform further operations on the data (which would be
    > different than constant frequency sinusoidal wave), so using counters
    > to create those signals would not be the optimal solution for me.
    >

    > Thanks,
    >
    > Vitaliy
    > Ryerson University

    The easiest way to get data into block memory, assuming it
    doesn't have to change during operation, is to generate a ROM
    using COREgen. You can use a .coe format file to initialize
    the ROM, which is then built into your project so the data
    is in the blockRAM when the bitstream is loaded. The .coe
    file is described in the core datasheet. It's a comma delimited
    list with a selectable radix.

    HTH,
    Gabor
    Gabor, Dec 8, 2006

  3. I wouldn't put to much faith in that plan as I have tried something similar
    to that and putting any serious amount of data into a .coe file crashes
    corgen.

    ---Matthew Hicks

    Matthew Hicks, Dec 8, 2006