FileNotFoundException

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by MattC, May 11, 2005.

  1. MattC

    MattC Guest

    Hi,

    I am getting the following error:

    System.IO.FileNotFoundException:
    C:\Dreamtxt\WebSites\mysite\www\feedback.aspx at
    System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.GetParserCacheItem() at
    System.Web.UI.TemplateControlParser.CompileAndGetParserCacheItem(String
    virtualPath, String inputFile, HttpContext context) at
    System.Web.UI.TemplateControlParser.GetCompiledInstance(String virtualPath,
    String inputFile, HttpContext context) at
    System.Web.UI.PageParser.GetCompiledPageInstanceInternal(String virtualPath,
    String inputFile, HttpContext context) at
    System.Web.UI.PageHandlerFactory.GetHandler(HttpContext context, String
    requestType, String url, String path) at
    System.Web.HttpApplication.MapHttpHandler(HttpContext context, String
    requestType, String path, String pathTranslated, Boolean useAppConfig)

    However, that file is not referrenced anywhere in the code? I also have the
    IP of the user that generated the error but cant seemed to trace it back:

    68.142.249.44
    68.142.250.159
    66.249.71.73
    207.68.146.55

    How can I trace where the exception is being thrown without even being able
    to find any kind of redirect or transfer to a page of that name?

    TIA

    MattC

    MattC, May 11, 2005

  2. C:\Dreamtxt\WebSites\mysite\www\feedback.aspx

    --
    HTH,

    Kevin Spencer
    Microsoft MVP
    ..Net Developer
    What You Seek Is What You Get.

    Kevin Spencer, May 11, 2005

  3. MattC

    MattC Guest

    Well, no, but thanks. It seems that the web app is generating a
    FileNotFoundException if any page is requested that doesn't exists. In the
    web.config is the following:

    <customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="/error.aspx">

    <error statusCode="404" redirect="/error-404.html" />

    If a 404 is generated by the webserver and redirects to the error-404.html
    page why should it also generate the exception?

    TIA

    MattC

    MattC, May 11, 2005
  4. MattC

    Patrice Guest

    Where do you see this exception (client side in IE ?)

    You could try to disable this in the web.config to see if it does a
    difference. Never saw that previously...
    I'm not sure how internally it is done but I would say that it looks like
    the request are processed as usual even though the file is not there instead
    of being directed to whatever 404 handler is active...

    Once done, try perhaps to see the IIS log to see if its's registered as a
    404 error...

    Patrice

    Patrice, May 11, 2005
  5. Hi Matt,

    The System.IO.FileNotFoundException is not thrown when a 404 error occurs.
    The 404 is a web server exception. I pointed you to the page that threw the
    exception. You'll have to figure it out from there.

    --
    HTH,

    Kevin Spencer
    Microsoft MVP