    big wait for it online - I'm on 56K dial up modem
    thanks
    David
    David Graham, Jan 15, 2006

  2. David Graham

    meltedown Guest

    David Graham wrote:
    > Hi
    > Does anyone know where Firefox has it's temporary internet files folder. I
    > just watched a video on-line, so I suppose it will be cached somewhere - I
    > would like to save it in My Documents so I can look at it later without the
    > big wait for it online - I'm on 56K dial up modem
    > thanks
    > David

    ON my computer its:
    C:\Documents and Settings\ACCOUNT\Local Settings\Temp

    Where ACCOUNT is the name of the XP account
    meltedown, Jan 15, 2006

  3. David Graham wrote:
    > Hi
    > Does anyone know where Firefox has it's temporary internet files folder. I
    > just watched a video on-line, so I suppose it will be cached somewhere - I
    > would like to save it in My Documents so I can look at it later without the
    > big wait for it online - I'm on 56K dial up modem
    > thanks
    > David

    Use 'about:cache' till show you exactly where it is on your installation
    a see 'Cache Directory:' listing

    Click 'List Entries' to list all bits in the cache, you can click a view
    from there

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, Jan 15, 2006
  4. On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 18:31:24 +0000, meltedown wrote:

    > David Graham wrote:
    >> Hi
    >> Does anyone know where Firefox has it's temporary internet files folder.
    >> I just watched a video on-line, so I suppose it will be cached somewhere
    >> - I would like to save it in My Documents so I can look at it later
    >> without the big wait for it online - I'm on 56K dial up modem thanks
    >> David
    >>

    > ON my computer its:
    > C:\Documents and Settings\ACCOUNT\Local Settings\Temp
    >
    > Where ACCOUNT is the name of the XP account

    Here, it has the grace to be in a directory *named* cache. :)

    /home/blinky/.mozilla/firefox/wgufk8oo.default/Cache

    Okay, "wgufk8oo" might be considered a little cryptic. :)

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky the Shark, Jan 15, 2006
  5. David Graham

    David Graham Guest

    > David Graham wrote:
    > > Hi
    > > Does anyone know where Firefox has it's temporary internet files folder.

    > > just watched a video on-line, so I suppose it will be cached somewhere -

    > > would like to save it in My Documents so I can look at it later without

    the
    > > big wait for it online - I'm on 56K dial up modem
    > > thanks
    > > David
    > >

    > Use 'about:cache' till show you exactly where it is on your installation
    > a see 'Cache Directory:' listing

    Do you mean type 'about:cache' without qoutes into the search in help - did
    that but it brought up no entries.

    > Click 'List Entries' to list all bits in the cache, you can click a view
    > from there

    Bit lost I'm afraid!
    thanks
    David
    David Graham, Jan 15, 2006
  6. David Graham wrote:

    > "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote in message

    <snip>
    >>Use 'about:cache' till show you exactly where it is on your installation
    >>a see 'Cache Directory:' listing
    >>

    > Do you mean type 'about:cache' without qoutes into the search in help - did
    > that but it brought up no entries.
    >

    >>Click 'List Entries' to list all bits in the cache, you can click a view
    >>from there

    No, 'about:cache' without quotes in the address bar...

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    Jonathan N. Little, Jan 15, 2006
  7. David Graham

    David Graham Guest

    > David Graham wrote:
    >
    > > "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote in message

    > <snip>
    > >>Use 'about:cache' till show you exactly where it is on your installation
    > >>a see 'Cache Directory:' listing
    > >>

    > > Do you mean type 'about:cache' without qoutes into the search in help -

    did
    > > that but it brought up no entries.
    > >

    > >>Click 'List Entries' to list all bits in the cache, you can click a view
    > >>from there

    > No, 'about:cache' without quotes in the address bar...

    That is a really good tip.
    The entry in the list which is my downloaded .swf points back to the
    original website:
    http://www.learn111.com/videos/FLASHANIMATION/04_controller.swf?csConfigFile
    =04_config.xml

    File on disc is:
    C:\Documents and Settings\david\Local Settings\Application
    Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\406mllxj.default\Cache\A707E485d01

    But windows can't open this file. Why can't I find a nice simple looking
    controller.swf for me to put into a html file?
    thanks
    David
    David Graham, Jan 15, 2006
  8. David Graham wrote:
    <snip>
    > That is a really good tip.
    > The entry in the list which is my downloaded .swf points back to the
    > original website:
    > http://www.learn111.com/videos/FLASHANIMATION/04_controller.swf?csConfigFile
    > =04_config.xml
    >
    > File on disc is:
    > C:\Documents and Settings\david\Local Settings\Application
    > Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\406mllxj.default\Cache\A707E485d01
    >
    > But windows can't open this file. Why can't I find a nice simple looking
    > controller.swf for me to put into a html file?

    Of course the content of the file is *not* how windows identifies the
    file type. I bet if you copy that file and rename it 'anything.swf' ti
    will miraculously open.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    Jonathan N. Little, Jan 15, 2006
  9. David Graham

    kchayka Guest

    David Graham wrote:
    > "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> 'about:cache' without quotes in the address bar...
    >>

    > The entry in the list which is my downloaded .swf points back to the
    > original website:

    If you are online when you click the links in the cache list, the
    browser may get a fresh copy from the site.

    If you switch the browser to offline mode, then click on the links in
    the cache list, it will load the files from your cache. You can Save As
    from there if you want.

    > Why can't I find a nice simple looking
    > controller.swf for me to put into a html file?

    I do hope you weren't considering stealing the flash movie that's in
    your cache. That would be rude.

    kchayka, Jan 15, 2006
  10. On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 21:38:59 +0000, David Graham wrote:

    > "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote in message

    >> No, 'about:cache' without quotes in the address bar...

    > That is a really good tip.

    Perhaps you are also unaware of

    about:config

    and of being able to change your setup there.

    Blinky the Shark, Jan 15, 2006
  11. Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 21:38:59 +0000, David Graham wrote:
    >

    >>"Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote in message

    >>>No, 'about:cache' without quotes in the address bar...

    >>That is a really good tip.

    > Perhaps you are also unaware of
    >
    > about:config
    >
    > and of being able to change your setup there.

    Just that I noticed Mozilla has a parameter to specify the cache folder

    browser.cache.disk.parent_directory

    But Firefox doesn't. Maybe all to have to do is add the parameter and
    set its value to make the change in Firefox. Maybe I have the parameter
    in Mozilla because I have my profile on another drive with my data for
    backup, but have the cache elsewhere do it is not backed up.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    Jonathan N. Little, Jan 15, 2006
  12. David Graham

    cwdjrxyz Guest

    David Graham wrote:
    > Hi
    > Does anyone know where Firefox has it's temporary internet files folder. I
    > just watched a video on-line, so I suppose it will be cached somewhere - I
    > would like to save it in My Documents so I can look at it later without the
    > big wait for it online - I'm on 56K dial up modem.

    If the video is served as true streaming media from a media server,
    such as is done on many big media sites and audio/video broadcasts, the
    media file will not be cached at all, except for a small buffer cache
    that keeps being updated as the video plays. Think of what would happen
    if you had a streaming radio or video broadcast on all day on
    broadband, and everything was cached. You would soon run out HD space
    to store the many GB cach file.

    If the media file is downloaded by "progressive download", which you
    use if you do not have a special streaming media server, the whole
    media file is cached, and, if coded properly, the playback then starts
    and "streams" while the media file is still downloading. In this case
    the media file should be in a cache somewhere after playback is
    completed. One complication is that some media players can also cache
    things in their own special cache. For example if you are using a
    recent Real player and you write some code for it in SMIL, if you call
    some media using "chtml://blah" instead of "html/blah", the media is
    cached in Real's special cache. This is sometimes useful in situations
    where the same media file might be soon needed again. However the
    memory available for the Real player cache is much more limited than
    that for the general cache used with most browsers.

    Somewhat different code is used to call a streaming server stream and a
    media file stored on an ordinary html server. However, many of the big
    media sites that use a streaming server have so much code scattered on
    many linked files, that it can take considerable time to find exactly
    how they are linking to the media. And if they are using php, you may
    not be able to see some of the critical code at all.
    cwdjrxyz, Jan 16, 2006
  13. David Graham

    cwdjrxyz Guest

    cwdjrxyz wrote:

    > For example if you are using a
    > recent Real player and you write some code for it in SMIL, if you call
    > some media using "chtml://blah" instead of "html/blah", the media is
    > cached in Real's special cache.

    If you use that code, nothing will play at all :). I should have used
    "http://blah" and "chttp://blah".
    cwdjrxyz, Jan 16, 2006
  14. David Graham

    David Graham Guest

    > > File on disc is:
    > > C:\Documents and Settings\david\Local Settings\Application
    > > Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\406mllxj.default\Cache\A707E485d01
    > >
    > > But windows can't open this file. Why can't I find a nice simple looking
    > > controller.swf for me to put into a html file?

    > Of course the content of the file is *not* how windows identifies the
    > file type. I bet if you copy that file and rename it 'anything.swf' ti
    > will miraculously open.

    I did that and it opened in the Flash Player but it was just a white blank
    movie - I think cwdjrxyz is correct when he says the media itself does not
    get cached only a small buffer is cached - the file controller.swf is only
    60K! But that theory can't be correct because the Flash movie plays fine in
    the browser after I have disconnected from the internet so it must now be
    playing locally from my computer isn't it?

    confused
    David Graham
    David Graham, Jan 16, 2006
  15. David Graham

    David Graham Guest

    "kchayka" <> wrote in message
    > David Graham wrote:
    > > "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> 'about:cache' without quotes in the address bar...
    > >>

    > > The entry in the list which is my downloaded .swf points back to the
    > > original website:

    > If you are online when you click the links in the cache list, the
    > browser may get a fresh copy from the site.
    >
    > If you switch the browser to offline mode, then click on the links in
    > the cache list, it will load the files from your cache. You can Save As
    > from there if you want.

    I get 'file not found' when I do that. The problem is I think this file
    requests the much larger Flash movie form somewhere else!

    > > Why can't I find a nice simple looking
    > > controller.swf for me to put into a html file?

    > I do hope you weren't considering stealing the flash movie that's in
    > your cache. That would be rude.

    I only wish to avoid the long delay that occurs when you request the video
    from the website
    David Graham, Jan 16, 2006
  16. David Graham

    David Graham Guest

    > Perhaps you are also unaware of
    >
    > about:config
    >
    > and of being able to change your setup there.
    >
    > --
    > Blinky
    > Killing all posts from Google Groups
    > Details: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html

    Yes, totally unaware and very impressed, thanks
    David
    David Graham, Jan 16, 2006
  17. David Graham

    David Graham Guest

    > If the video is served as true streaming media from a media server,
    > such as is done on many big media sites and audio/video broadcasts, the
    > media file will not be cached at all, except for a small buffer cache
    > that keeps being updated as the video plays. Think of what would happen
    > if you had a streaming radio or video broadcast on all day on
    > broadband, and everything was cached. You would soon run out HD space
    > to store the many GB cach file.

    If the Flash movie plays when I'm not online and I may add plays much
    better, no pausing when I'm offline, is that proof positive that it is
    coming from my hard drive on my computer?

    thanks for the help
    David
    David Graham, Jan 16, 2006
  18. David Graham

    David Graham Guest

    > I do hope you weren't considering stealing the flash movie that's in
    > your cache. That would be rude.

    If you go to the web site
    http://www.learnflash.com/

    on the left there is a passage of text:
    "No need to be always connected to the net - Download the videos to your
    computer instead of streaming"

    which is why I have been trying to do just that. Don't see how though - any
    ideas please
    regards
    David
    David Graham, Jan 16, 2006
  19. David Graham wrote:
    >>I do hope you weren't considering stealing the flash movie that's in
    >>your cache. That would be rude.
    >>

    > If you go to the web site
    > http://www.learnflash.com/
    >
    > on the left there is a passage of text:
    > "No need to be always connected to the net - Download the videos to your
    > computer instead of streaming"
    >
    > which is why I have been trying to do just that. Don't see how though - any
    > ideas please
    > regards
    > David

    Have you tried from menu while on the webpage "Tools|Page Info" (CTRL-I
    on Mozilla) and go to the 'Media' tab and download it from there?

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    Jonathan N. Little, Jan 16, 2006
  20. David Graham

    David Graham Guest

    > David Graham wrote:
    > >>I do hope you weren't considering stealing the flash movie that's in
    > >>your cache. That would be rude.
    > >>

    > > If you go to the web site
    > > http://www.learnflash.com/
    > >
    > > on the left there is a passage of text:
    > > "No need to be always connected to the net - Download the videos to your
    > > computer instead of streaming"
    > >
    > > which is why I have been trying to do just that. Don't see how though -

    any
    > > ideas please
    > > regards
    > > David
    > >

    > Have you tried from menu while on the webpage "Tools|Page Info" (CTRL-I
    > on Mozilla) and go to the 'Media' tab and download it from there?

    Hi Jonathan
    I have gone to the page with the free Flash Tutorials links - I'm presently
    streaming the Flash movie from the site. I did Tools - page Info and it has
    one line that says 'Cache Source Not Cached' which doesn't look to
    hopeful. I think I'll wait for it all to reach me and then I'll use the save
    as button in the info page - if I have any luck I will post again.
    One fundermental point I'm sure you could clear up for me is about the
    cache. I'm starting to doubt everything I thought was true. I used to think
    that the various elements that make up a web page e.g. .gif's, .jpgs etc
    were stored in a cache on the hard disc e.g. Temporary Internet Files folder
    for IE but now I'm thinking are these things actually on my hard disc. They
    all have an internet address next to them and if you double click them they
    will open OK while your connected to the internet but file not found comes
    up if your not connected. What's more when I browse TIF folder with Paint
    Shop Pro I don't get lots of little thumbs of all the pictures. Yet I
    allocate a fair chunk of my C: drive to the TIF folder so I suppose they are
    there - but it seems like they are not. Please clear this up for me - this
    is beginning to be a real pain!
    thanks
    David
    P.S
    04 - Using the Oval Tool_controller.swf?csConfigFile=04 - Using the Oval
    Tool_config.xml
    Above is the address in the page info box. I have finished downloading and I
    did save as but nothing seems to get saved to my desktop.
    David Graham, Jan 16, 2006