    this doesn't work without using embed. Is it something I'm doing wrong,
    or do these browsers don't support it in the first place?

    Andrew

    Andy Tang, May 10, 2006

  2. Andy Tang

    oeb Guest

    Andy Tang wrote:

    > I've decided to changed all my embed tags for shockwave files to object
    > tags. This works fine in IE but it looks like Firefox/Opera are still
    > using the old style embed tag. I work around this by putting the embed
    > tag inside the object tag as an alternative option.
    >
    > However, since the object tag is in the HTML 4 specs, I fail to see why
    > this doesn't work without using embed. Is it something I'm doing wrong,
    > or do these browsers don't support it in the first place?
    >
    > Andrew

    <object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="path/to.swf"
    width="190" height="70">
    <param name="movie" value="path/to.swf" />
    </object>

    This works fine in firefox 1.5 I have been getting minor issues with it
    in 1.0.* (When handling layout with CSS)

    For more info

    http://www.alistapart.com/articles/flashsatay/

    oeb, May 10, 2006

  3. Andy Tang

    Andy Tang Guest

    oeb wrote:
    > Andy Tang wrote:
    >

    >> I've decided to changed all my embed tags for shockwave files to
    >> object tags. This works fine in IE but it looks like Firefox/Opera are
    >> still using the old style embed tag. I work around this by putting the
    >> embed tag inside the object tag as an alternative option.
    >>
    >> However, since the object tag is in the HTML 4 specs, I fail to see
    >> why this doesn't work without using embed. Is it something I'm doing
    >> wrong, or do these browsers don't support it in the first place?
    >>
    >> Andrew

    > <object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="path/to.swf"
    > width="190" height="70">
    > <param name="movie" value="path/to.swf" />
    > </object>
    >
    > This works fine in firefox 1.5 I have been getting minor issues with it
    > in 1.0.* (When handling layout with CSS)
    >
    > For more info
    >
    > http://www.alistapart.com/articles/flashsatay/

    Thank you. This is what I was looking for. :)

    Andy Tang, May 10, 2006
  4. Andy Tang

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Andy Tang wrote:

    > I've decided to changed all my embed tags for shockwave files to object
    > tags. This works fine in IE but it looks like Firefox/Opera are still
    > using the old style embed tag.

    Flash outputs weird-IE specific OBJECT elements. If you use OBJECT the
    proper way it works in all modern browsers.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby Inkster, May 11, 2006