Firefox/Opera and Object/Embed tag

Andy Tang

I've decided to changed all my embed tags for shockwave files to object
tags. This works fine in IE but it looks like Firefox/Opera are still
using the old style embed tag. I work around this by putting the embed
tag inside the object tag as an alternative option.

However, since the object tag is in the HTML 4 specs, I fail to see why
this doesn't work without using embed. Is it something I'm doing wrong,
or do these browsers don't support it in the first place?

Andrew

oeb

Andy said:
I've decided to changed all my embed tags for shockwave files to object
tags. This works fine in IE but it looks like Firefox/Opera are still
using the old style embed tag. I work around this by putting the embed
tag inside the object tag as an alternative option.

However, since the object tag is in the HTML 4 specs, I fail to see why
this doesn't work without using embed. Is it something I'm doing wrong,
or do these browsers don't support it in the first place?

Andrew

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="path/to.swf"
width="190" height="70">
<param name="movie" value="path/to.swf" />
</object>

This works fine in firefox 1.5 I have been getting minor issues with it
in 1.0.* (When handling layout with CSS)

For more info

http://www.alistapart.com/articles/flashsatay/

Toby Inkster

Andy said:
I've decided to changed all my embed tags for shockwave files to object
tags. This works fine in IE but it looks like Firefox/Opera are still
using the old style embed tag.

Flash outputs weird-IE specific OBJECT elements. If you use OBJECT the
proper way it works in all modern browsers.