Fonts in Pages

Discussion in 'HTML' started by TheChillPill, Jul 8, 2004.

  1. TheChillPill

    TheChillPill Guest

    I have always been led to believe that for a font to display correctly on a
    page, the visitors pc should have that font installed.

    I recently visited a website (http://www.shauninman.com) with a nice looking
    font for the headings (din-light). Now, I assumed that these were images
    (the font has a 'soft' look that you would normally associate with an
    image), however it occured to me that for such regular postings, doing an
    image would appear to be a lot of work simply for a heading. On inspection,
    it appears that the headings are not images at all - they are normal
    headings. However, the font (which I do not have installed) has been
    rendered correctly on my sustem.

    I've taken a brief look at the code, but I can't see anything obvious about
    how this is done.

    Have I missed something??

    Regards,

    Lee
    TheChillPill, Jul 8, 2004

  2. Steve Pugh wrote:

    > It uses JavaScript to replace the text of the heading with a Flash
    > movie showing the same text in the desired font.

    Now that is quite a clever little trick. I might play around with that
    (but using PNGs).

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby A Inkster, Jul 8, 2004

  3. TheChillPill

    C A Upsdell Guest

    See http://www.upsdell.com/BrowserNews/res_fonts.htm#a04
    C A Upsdell, Jul 8, 2004
  4. TheChillPill

    SpaceGirl Guest

    Steve Pugh wrote:
    > SpaceGirl <> wrote:
    >
    >>TheChillPill wrote:
    >>

    >>>I recently visited a website (http://www.shauninman.com) with a nice looking
    >>>font for the headings (din-light).
    >>>However, the font (which I do not have installed)
    >>>has been rendered correctly on my sustem.

    >>Using stylesheets,

    > [snip]
    >
    > Not your day is it? The trimmed version of the OP's message that I've
    > included above rather suggests that your post was barking up a totally
    > wrong tree. Sorry.
    >
    > Steve

    Hmm no. I suggested how it could work. I forgot to mention that the
    browser would randomly pick some other font if it couldn't find the one
    it wanted (depends on the browser I think).

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    SpaceGirl, Jul 8, 2004
  5. TheChillPill

    SpaceGirl Guest

    Steve Pugh wrote:

    > Arondelle <> wrote:
    >
    >>brucie wrote:
    >>
    >>>your browser has allowed the font to be downloaded and installed with
    >>>the web page. not recommended.

    >>Um, is that what embedding fonts does? Download a font, rather than
    >>formatting the text with the relavant font object on the fly?

    > It downloads a specially formatted version of the font to the browser
    > so that the browser can format the text with that font 'on the fly'.
    > It does not download and install the full font to the user's computer.
    >
    > Steve

    It's a very smart effect! Fails pretty gracefully too. Those little
    flash titles are fat downloads though... 33kb each, and I'm not even
    sure they get cached because they are dynamic.

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    SpaceGirl, Jul 8, 2004
  6. TheChillPill

    Arondelle Guest

    brucie wrote:

    > you're asking the wrong person. embedded fonts do nothing except piss me
    > off. microsofts own example is a good demonstration of making previously
    > readable text unreadable but of course that doesn't matter as long as it
    > looks kewl.

    Well, I didn't ask you, specifically, so don't feel that you were
    obliged to answer.

    Tell me something: is there anything put out on the web that DOESN'T
    piss you off? I'm just wondering if I should take all of your advice
    and produce only pages of black text on a white background with plain
    links and no graphics at all. Totally inoffensive to anyone, but not
    very interesting, either.

    The only reason I don't filter you is because you occasionally come up
    with some truly useful information rather than just snide remarks.
    ======================================

    I can understand why people might hate Micro$oft: Bill Gates own 50% of
    all the money in the world and is going to build a continent in the
    shape of his head with it. His company's software is on most nearly
    every computer in the US, if not the world, and some of it is, um, buggy.

    But, other software publishers also produce buggy software. So, what
    the Hel: one bug is as good as another.

    The Great Unwashed don't even think about it. If it's there in front of
    their faces and it's reasonably easy to use, they're going to use it,
    and whine when it breaks. But, they wouldn't stir themselves to go out
    and find something else, because they don't don't understand software,
    and have no clue what to look for.
    ------------------------------------

    I watch sports on TV with my husband. One thing I've noticed is that
    the networks broadcasting the games go to get lengths to flash all sorts
    of groovy graphics on the screen, sometimes accompanied by cool sound FX.

    I really don't give a crap about stats (or the game, usually) and I find
    all this eye-candy quite annoying. It gives me motion sickness (or,
    compounds the motion sickness induced by my husband's incessant remote
    flicking. Call it "video Whiplash."). However, the networks spend big
    buck$ on this stuff, so *somebody* must like it; somebody who spend
    money on the advertisers' wares, I suspect.

    Same thing goes for websites: one man's annoyance is another man's eye
    candy. Like it or not, the eye candy crowd far out-numbers the sour-pusses.

    Bah! Humbug!

    Arondelle
    To email me, empty the pond with a net
    Arondelle, Jul 8, 2004
  7. TheChillPill

    Steve Pugh Guest

    Toby A Inkster <> wrote:
    >Steve Pugh wrote:
    >
    >> It uses JavaScript to replace the text of the heading with a Flash
    >> movie showing the same text in the desired font.

    >Now that is quite a clever little trick. I might play around with that
    >(but using PNGs).

    Before you reinvent the wheel read
    http://www.alistapart.com/articles/dynatext/

    Steve

    Steve Pugh <> <http://steve.pugh.net/>
    Steve Pugh, Jul 8, 2004
  8. TheChillPill

    Karl Groves Guest

    "Steve Pugh" <> wrote in message
    > Toby A Inkster <> wrote:
    > >Steve Pugh wrote:
    > >
    > >> It uses JavaScript to replace the text of the heading with a Flash
    > >> movie showing the same text in the desired font.

    > >Now that is quite a clever little trick. I might play around with that
    > >(but using PNGs).

    > Before you reinvent the wheel read
    > http://www.alistapart.com/articles/dynatext/

    There's always a guy like you around willing to ruin another fellow's fun!
    ;-)

    -Karl
    Karl Groves, Jul 8, 2004
  9. TheChillPill

    Steve Pugh Guest

    "Karl Groves" <> wrote:
    >"Steve Pugh" <> wrote in message
    >> Toby A Inkster <> wrote:

    >> >Now that is quite a clever little trick. I might play around with that
    >> >(but using PNGs).

    >> Before you reinvent the wheel read
    >> http://www.alistapart.com/articles/dynatext/
    >>

    >There's always a guy like you around willing to ruin another fellow's fun!
    >;-)

    I really wouldn't want to comment on Toby's idea of fun.
    ;-)

    Steve Pugh, Jul 8, 2004
  10. TheChillPill

    OJ Guest

    Toby A Inkster <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Steve Pugh wrote:
    >
    > > It uses JavaScript to replace the text of the heading with a Flash
    > > movie showing the same text in the desired font.

    > Now that is quite a clever little trick. I might play around with that
    > (but using PNGs).

    Hi,

    Am I missing something here? I can't get a context menu for flash
    anywhere on the page, and I have javascript and flash enabled. All I
    see are text-selectable headings.

    oj
    OJ, Jul 8, 2004
  11. TheChillPill

    Steve Pugh Guest

    (OJ) wrote:
    >> Steve Pugh wrote:
    >>
    >> > It uses JavaScript to replace the text of the heading with a Flash
    >> > movie showing the same text in the desired font. If you right click on
    >> > the heading you'll get a different context menu than if you right
    >> > click on normal text.

    >Am I missing something here? I can't get a context menu for flash
    >anywhere on the page, and I have javascript and flash enabled. All I
    >see are text-selectable headings.

    The normal Flash context menu doesn't appear but the normal text
    context menu doesn't appear either, instead a minimal context menu
    appears, presumably created via the Flash movie.
    Also, you can select the text in the headings, or select the ordinary
    text but not both at the same time.

    Steve Pugh, Jul 8, 2004
  12. TheChillPill

    brucie Guest

    in post: <news:0YdHc.9157$>
    Arondelle <> said:

    > Tell me something: is there anything put out on the web that DOESN'T
    > piss you off?

    i'm quite fond of the letters 'a', 'o' and the number '387'

    --
    b r u c i e
    brucie, Jul 8, 2004
  13. Steve Pugh wrote:

    > Toby A Inkster <> wrote:
    >>Steve Pugh wrote:
    >>
    >>> It uses JavaScript to replace the text of the heading with a Flash
    >>> movie showing the same text in the desired font.

    >>Now that is quite a clever little trick. I might play around with that
    >>(but using PNGs).

    > Before you reinvent the wheel read
    > http://www.alistapart.com/articles/dynatext/

    Well, I've already done it now. Also, I prefer ImageMagick to GD.

    See the watermark background on these pages:
    http://tobyinkster.co.uk/programming
    http://tobyinkster.co.uk/contact
    http://tobyinkster.co.uk/home

    Also, change the styles using the style switcher and watch the background
    watermark update. :)

    Only tested in Opera so far, but should at least work in Gecko and should
    work partially in IE.

    (Note: tobyinkster.co.uk is a work in progress, so yes, I know there are
    lots of broken links, etc)

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby A Inkster, Jul 8, 2004
  14. TheChillPill

    Webcastmaker Guest

    In article <43w5i1nx7er$>,
    says...
    > i'm quite fond of the letters 'a', 'o' and the number '387'

    Thats only because it makes you think of me.... naked

    --
    WebcastMaker
    www.webentations.com
    Webcastmaker, Jul 8, 2004