Framework 1.1 and 2.0 on same site

Morten Snedker

We have one web application created in VS 2003 / Framework 1.1.

We need to add one more page to the site. Is it possible to create a
new page with VS 2005 / Framework 2.0 and somehow add it to the
existing site, and still have it work? And if yes, how so?

Regards /Snedker

Mark Rae

We have one web application created in VS 2003 / Framework 1.1.

We need to add one more page to the site. Is it possible to create a
new page with VS 2005 / Framework 2.0 and somehow add it to the
existing site, and still have it work? And if yes, how so?

Whereas you can have multiple versions of the Framework on a webserver, each
site or virtual directory can only use one version - you specify the version
in IIS.

VS.NET 2005 cannot produce v1.x assemblies natively, though there is an
add-on from Microsoft (MSBee) which will do this:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...6f-25c4-444a-a6b9-71d06826f5b4&displaylang=en

Mike

how big is your site? If time isn't a factor convert the entire site to 2.0.
Why have 1 page in 2.0 and the other pages running .NET 1.1

what I have done in this scenario was run the old site under .NET 1.1, and I
created a new site under 2.0 and we would slowly migrate the site to 2.0 so
half of the site would run under 1.1 and the other half under 2.0 while the
migration was happening.

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

And, that is the only way you can truly do it.

Most 1.1 sites will succesfully convert to 2.0 without any problem, however,
so why go through the circus hoops when it is not needed.

Mike said:
how big is your site? If time isn't a factor convert the entire site to
2.0. Why have 1 page in 2.0 and the other pages running .NET 1.1

what I have done in this scenario was run the old site under .NET 1.1, and
I created a new site under 2.0 and we would slowly migrate the site to 2.0
so half of the site would run under 1.1 and the other half under 2.0 while
the migration was happening.

Mike

Most 1.1 sites will succesfully convert to 2.0 without any problem, however,
so why go through the circus hoops when it is not needed. -
this is true but I've taken on projects where the .NET 1.1 web apps were
still written like ASP but with an aspx extension so I had to a true
re-write of the application.

No kidding, I started one project to do some .NET 1.1 to 2.0 migration and
the entire 1.1 app was written in ASP. All the developer did was a copy and
paiste from him asp web site into a .NET project and gave the pages an aspx
extension. There was no code behind, the code had nothing to do with .NET at
all. So when I took it over I was pretty much starting from scratch. I've
seen many a projects like that. It seems like some developers aren't taken
the time to learn .NET, and they just want to create something in the .NET
IDE. Why create an ASP app in the .NET IDE or even use the .NET resources to
run the app? Makes no sense to me.

Cowboy (Gregory A. Beamer) said:
[...]

I've been tasked with similar upgrades - all that it means in the long run
is that price goes up... :)

Mark Rae

I've been tasked with similar upgrades - all that it means in the long run
yes it does. WAY UP! :)

You know the mantra:

"Wheresoever shall two or more contractors be gathered together in one
place, yea verily shall they smile sweetly and raise the invoice..."

Here endeth the lesson.

Amen.

Mike

LMAO!