FrontPage detritus

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Jose, Mar 15, 2006.

  1. Jose

    Jose Guest

    I have a site, hosted on Yahoo business, which was once in FrontPage.
    After trying vainly to extract it from FP, I finally abandoned the
    effort and created a new site in the same place, re-entering all the
    content of all the pages. The site is fairly simple.

    The directory where the sites reside have the following directories
    which I have not created:

    _borders
    _private
    _vti_bin
    _vti_cnf
    _vti_log
    _vti_pvt
    _vti_txt

    Are these all FP directories which are therefore safe to trash, now that
    there is no FP content left I care about?

    Jose
    Jose, Mar 15, 2006

  2. Jose wrote:

    > I have a site, hosted on Yahoo business, which was once in FrontPage.
    > After trying vainly to extract it from FP, I finally abandoned the
    > effort and created a new site in the same place, re-entering all the
    > content of all the pages. The site is fairly simple.
    >
    > The directory where the sites reside have the following directories
    > which I have not created:
    >
    > _borders
    > _private
    > _vti_bin
    > _vti_cnf
    > _vti_log
    > _vti_pvt
    > _vti_txt
    >
    > Are these all FP directories which are therefore safe to trash, now that
    > there is no FP content left I care about?

    Yep, if your are not going to use any of the FP functions or FP again.
    And the magical part is that your new site is now a fraction of the old
    on the server!

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, Mar 15, 2006

  3. Jose

    Jose Guest

    > Yep, if your are not going to use any of the FP functions or FP again.

    Thanks. Yes, I've taken a magnet to all my FrontPage disks, said three
    Hail Marys, and sacrificed a chicken.

    Jose
    Jose, Mar 15, 2006
  4. Jose

    JDS Guest

    JDS, Mar 15, 2006
  5. JDS wrote:
    > On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 16:28:13 +0000, Jose wrote:
    >

    >>Yes, I've taken a magnet to all my FrontPage disks

    > On cd-rom? Not sure a magnet will help. Just FYI.

    Naw, but a Bic lighter will do!

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    Jonathan N. Little, Mar 15, 2006
  6. Jose

    Jose Guest

    >>Yes, I've taken a magnet to all my FrontPage disks
    >
    > On cd-rom? Not sure a magnet will help.

    You haven't seen my magnet. :)

    Jose
    Jose, Mar 15, 2006
  7. Jose

    JDS Guest

    JDS, Mar 15, 2006
  8. Jose

    JDS Guest

    JDS, Mar 15, 2006
  9. Jose

    Jose Guest

    > Are you coming on to me? 'cause I'm not gay. Unless you are a hot chick...

    I'm not, but I could put a chicken on the stove.

    On second thought, let's not go there. :)

    Jose
    Jose, Mar 15, 2006
  10. Jose

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, JDS quothed:

    > On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 17:56:11 +0000, Jose wrote:
    >
    > > You haven't seen my magnet. :)

    > Are you coming on to me? 'cause I'm not gay. Unless you are a hot chick...

    Which logically means you are a lesbian. But I doubt if _José_ would be
    a good match.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Neredbojias, Mar 15, 2006
  11. Jose

    Els Guest

    Neredbojias wrote:

    >> Are you coming on to me? 'cause I'm not gay. Unless you are a hot chick...

    > Which logically means you are a lesbian. But I doubt if _José_ would be
    > a good match.

    José may be a guy's name in Spanish, it's a girl's name in Dutch.

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/

    Now playing: Smokie - It's Your Life
    Els, Mar 15, 2006
  12. Jose

    Jose Guest

    > José may be a guy's name in Spanish, it's a girl's name in Dutch.

    Fascinating. I'll file that away.

    José
    (neither in Spain, nor in Dutchland. :)
    Jose, Mar 15, 2006
  13. Jose

    Els Guest

    Jose wrote:

    >> José may be a guy's name in Spanish, it's a girl's name in Dutch.

    > Fascinating. I'll file that away.
    >
    > José
    > (neither in Spain, nor in Dutchland. :)

    How do you pronounce your name? (I know only 4 different ways, but
    admittedly one of them is spelled Joze)

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/

    Now playing: Squeeze - Jumping
    Els, Mar 15, 2006
  14. Jose

    Jose Guest

    > How do you pronounce your name? (I know only 4 different ways, but
    > admittedly one of them is spelled Joze)

    It is correctly pronounced in Spanish as "Hoh seh" with the accent on
    the last syllable. When speaking English I prounounce it as "Ho zay",
    also with the accent on the last syllable.

    It is correctly spelled (and I usually do so) with the accent on the e,
    thus: José (if you have the right fonts installed) but for computer use
    I usually don't use the accent, because it's a pain and doesn't
    translate across all platforms - other people see something like Jos%
    which is even further from the truth.

    Jose
    Jose, Mar 15, 2006
  15. Jose

    Els Guest

    Jose wrote:

    >> How do you pronounce your name? (I know only 4 different ways, but
    >> admittedly one of them is spelled Joze)

    > It is correctly pronounced in Spanish as "Hoh seh" with the accent on
    > the last syllable. When speaking English I prounounce it as "Ho zay",
    > also with the accent on the last syllable.

    Okay, that's 5 different ways then ;-)

    > It is correctly spelled (and I usually do so) with the accent on the e,
    > thus: José (if you have the right fonts installed) but for computer use
    > I usually don't use the accent, because it's a pain and doesn't
    > translate across all platforms - other people see something like Jos%
    > which is even further from the truth.

    I use alt-130 in mail and Usenet (but I know some people haven't got
    their clients set up to understand it), but in webpages é
    always works for me.

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/

    Now playing: Smokie - Norwegian Girl
    Els, Mar 15, 2006
  16. Jose

    Stan McCann Guest

    Neredbojias <> wrote in

    > With neither quill nor qualm, JDS quothed:
    >
    >> On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 17:56:11 +0000, Jose wrote:
    >>
    >> > You haven't seen my magnet. :)

    >> Are you coming on to me? 'cause I'm not gay. Unless you are a hot
    >> chick...

    > Which logically means you are a lesbian. But I doubt if _José_
    > would be a good match.

    I think I must be a lesbian too. I spend so much time thinking of (and
    watching - great view from my office!) women. ;)

    --
    Stan McCann, "Uncle Pirate" http://stanmccann.us/
    Webmaster, NMSU at Alamogordo http://alamo.nmsu.edu/
    Stan McCann, Mar 15, 2006
  17. Jose

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 16:28:13 GMT, Jose <> wrote:

    >Thanks. Yes, I've taken a magnet to all my FrontPage disks, said three
    >Hail Marys, and sacrificed a chicken.

    You're not safe yet. You need fire too.

    I buried my copy of Frontpage (yes, in 1997 I paid money for it) at a
    crossroads. It still makes awful code, but I hear Bill Gates is a
    really good horn player now.
    Andy Dingley, Mar 15, 2006
  18. Jose

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 15:27:28 GMT, Jose <> wrote:

    >_vti_txt
    >
    >Are these all FP directories which are therefore safe to trash, now that
    >there is no FP content left I care about?

    Less than that, they're actually Frontpage Server Extensions.

    These are the directories that get out of synch if anyone works on the
    site with ftp or another editor, locking you out of using FP on it
    again. This is itself yet another sufficient reason to ditch FP fpr any
    shared sites.
    Andy Dingley, Mar 15, 2006
  19. Jose

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, Stan McCann quothed:

    > Neredbojias <> wrote in
    >
    > > With neither quill nor qualm, JDS quothed:

    > >> Are you coming on to me? 'cause I'm not gay. Unless you are a hot
    > >> chick...

    > > Which logically means you are a lesbian. But I doubt if _José_
    > > would be a good match.
    > >

    > I think I must be a lesbian too. I spend so much time thinking of (and
    > watching - great view from my office!) women. ;)

    Well, sometimes I _want_ to be a lesbian, but naturally in my case
    that's kind of a snaky situation.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Neredbojias, Mar 16, 2006
  20. Jose

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, Els quothed:

    > Neredbojias wrote:
    >
    > >> Are you coming on to me? 'cause I'm not gay. Unless you are a hot chick...

    > > Which logically means you are a lesbian. But I doubt if _José_ would be
    > > a good match.

    > José may be a guy's name in Spanish, it's a girl's name in Dutch.

    Jehosephat, how, uh, serio-cosmic. In the new world we have women named
    "Josie" and women who are hos but I dunno any women named "José" (or at
    least none whose names have that exact phonetic construct except maybe
    when they're sneezing.)

    --
    Neredbojias
    Neredbojias, Mar 16, 2006