FrontPage detritus

Jose

I have a site, hosted on Yahoo business, which was once in FrontPage.
After trying vainly to extract it from FP, I finally abandoned the
effort and created a new site in the same place, re-entering all the
content of all the pages. The site is fairly simple.

The directory where the sites reside have the following directories
which I have not created:

_borders
_private
_vti_bin
_vti_cnf
_vti_log
_vti_pvt
_vti_txt

Are these all FP directories which are therefore safe to trash, now that
there is no FP content left I care about?

Jose

Jonathan N. Little

Jose said:
I have a site, hosted on Yahoo business, which was once in FrontPage.
After trying vainly to extract it from FP, I finally abandoned the
effort and created a new site in the same place, re-entering all the
content of all the pages. The site is fairly simple.

The directory where the sites reside have the following directories
which I have not created:

_borders
_private
_vti_bin
_vti_cnf
_vti_log
_vti_pvt
_vti_txt

Are these all FP directories which are therefore safe to trash, now that
there is no FP content left I care about?

Yep, if your are not going to use any of the FP functions or FP again.
And the magical part is that your new site is now a fraction of the old
on the server!

Jose

Yep, if your are not going to use any of the FP functions or FP again.

Thanks. Yes, I've taken a magnet to all my FrontPage disks, said three
Hail Marys, and sacrificed a chicken.

Jose

Jose

Are you coming on to me? 'cause I'm not gay. Unless you are a hot chick...

I'm not, but I could put a chicken on the stove.

On second thought, let's not go there. :)

Jose

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, JDS quothed:
Are you coming on to me? 'cause I'm not gay. Unless you are a hot chick...

Which logically means you are a lesbian. But I doubt if _José_ would be
a good match.

Els

Neredbojias said:
Which logically means you are a lesbian. But I doubt if _José_ would be
a good match.

José may be a guy's name in Spanish, it's a girl's name in Dutch.

Jose

José may be a guy's name in Spanish, it's a girl's name in Dutch.

Fascinating. I'll file that away.

José
(neither in Spain, nor in Dutchland. :)

Els

Jose said:
Fascinating. I'll file that away.

José
(neither in Spain, nor in Dutchland. :)

How do you pronounce your name? (I know only 4 different ways, but
admittedly one of them is spelled Joze)

Jose

How do you pronounce your name? (I know only 4 different ways, but
admittedly one of them is spelled Joze)

It is correctly pronounced in Spanish as "Hoh seh" with the accent on
the last syllable. When speaking English I prounounce it as "Ho zay",
also with the accent on the last syllable.

It is correctly spelled (and I usually do so) with the accent on the e,
thus: José (if you have the right fonts installed) but for computer use
I usually don't use the accent, because it's a pain and doesn't
translate across all platforms - other people see something like Jos%
which is even further from the truth.

Jose

Els

Jose said:
It is correctly pronounced in Spanish as "Hoh seh" with the accent on
the last syllable. When speaking English I prounounce it as "Ho zay",
also with the accent on the last syllable.

Okay, that's 5 different ways then ;-)
It is correctly spelled (and I usually do so) with the accent on the e,
thus: José (if you have the right fonts installed) but for computer use
I usually don't use the accent, because it's a pain and doesn't
translate across all platforms - other people see something like Jos%
which is even further from the truth.

I use alt-130 in mail and Usenet (but I know some people haven't got
their clients set up to understand it), but in webpages é
always works for me.

Stan McCann

With neither quill nor qualm, JDS quothed:

Which logically means you are a lesbian. But I doubt if _José_
would be a good match.

I think I must be a lesbian too. I spend so much time thinking of (and
watching - great view from my office!) women. ;)

Andy Dingley

Thanks. Yes, I've taken a magnet to all my FrontPage disks, said three
Hail Marys, and sacrificed a chicken.

You're not safe yet. You need fire too.

I buried my copy of Frontpage (yes, in 1997 I paid money for it) at a
crossroads. It still makes awful code, but I hear Bill Gates is a
really good horn player now.

Andy Dingley

_vti_txt

Are these all FP directories which are therefore safe to trash, now that
there is no FP content left I care about?

Less than that, they're actually Frontpage Server Extensions.

These are the directories that get out of synch if anyone works on the
site with ftp or another editor, locking you out of using FP on it
again. This is itself yet another sufficient reason to ditch FP fpr any
shared sites.

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Stan McCann quothed:
I think I must be a lesbian too. I spend so much time thinking of (and
watching - great view from my office!) women. ;)

Well, sometimes I _want_ to be a lesbian, but naturally in my case
that's kind of a snaky situation.

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Els quothed:
José may be a guy's name in Spanish, it's a girl's name in Dutch.

Jehosephat, how, uh, serio-cosmic. In the new world we have women named
"Josie" and women who are hos but I dunno any women named "José" (or at
least none whose names have that exact phonetic construct except maybe
when they're sneezing.)