gem command hangs with no output

Jarrod Menoube

Tried to run "gem outdated" on my CentOS 5 server. It just hung with no
response on the command line for about 10 minutes.

After that, tried "gem update passenger". I got...

Updating installed gems...
Bulk updating Gem source index for: http://gems.rubyforge.org

then nothing. It's 15 minutes and it's still just hanging.

Control-C has no effect.

Looks like I'll have to open another shell and kill it.

Any way to get gem command to work right now?

Thanks,

John Pritchard-williams

Hi Jarrod,

This happens to me now and then: especially on my Ubuntu box (low-spec
machine as it happens) - the whole machine can become totally
unresponsive for 5-10 minutes.

I tried killing it once, but I just made things worse. (ended up with a
force-reboot).

I don't why this happens, but in my experience just letting it run its
course was the only way of not causing damage to my system....

John

Jarrod Menoube

John said:
Hi Jarrod,

This happens to me now and then: especially on my Ubuntu box (low-spec
machine as it happens) - the whole machine can become totally
unresponsive for 5-10 minutes.

I tried killing it once, but I just made things worse. (ended up with a
force-reboot).

I don't why this happens, but in my experience just letting it run its
course was the only way of not causing damage to my system....

John

Thanks for the reply. I upgraded to the latest version of gem and the
problem went away. I wonder if they changed something on the other end
and old versions of gem don't work any more.