Generate 2d images on the fly

timasmith

Hi,

How difficult is it to draw ascii images on the fly with specific
values e.g.

______
/ \
| 15 |
\______/

Say there were many shapes, many values, specifically placed in a
pattern.

Are there examples online, on how I could create the lines, placing
numbers (runtime) in various fonts within the shapes?

I guess it is a drawing package that perhaps generates .png on the fly?

thanks

Tim

Andrew Thompson

How difficult is it to draw ascii images

I've heard of 'ASCII art', what's an 'ASCII image'?
...on the fly with specific
values e.g.

______
/ \
| 15 |
\______/

Huhh? (tilts head) What is that supposed to be an example of?
Does '15' relate the the other characters shown?

Andrew T.

Ian Wilson

Hi,

How difficult is it to draw ascii images on the fly with specific
values e.g.

______
/ \
| 15 |
\______/

Say there were many shapes, many values, specifically placed in a
pattern.

So far, your question makes it seem as if you want to generate ASCII
art, that is some "graphics" composed solely of letters, digits and
punctuation characters in a rectangular grid.
Are there examples online, on how I could create the lines, placing
numbers (runtime) in various fonts within the shapes?

Well "various fonts within the shapes" rules out ASCII art, what did you
mean by "ascii image"?
I guess it is a drawing package that perhaps generates .png on the fly?

Mention of .png, a bitmap image format, makes it even less likely your
"ascii image" means images composed solely of monospaced ASCII characters.

Are you familiar with the Java2D API?
http://java.sun.com/products/java-media/2D/learning/tutorial/index.html