Getting started with MS C++

Titanus

Hello all,

I am running MS on a Dell PC and I want to get started writing C++
code. Only thing I can find about how to get started is to find MS SQL
Server. Okay, so once I find that, how do I begin: are there
templates? Where do I begin writing code?

Thanks.

Victor Bazarov

Titanus said:
I am running MS on a Dell PC and I want to get started writing C++
code. Only thing I can find about how to get started is to find MS
SQL Server. Okay, so once I find that, how do I begin: are there
templates? Where do I begin writing code?

I think you need to fire up the IDE and then start a new project. For
more information on how to use MS Visual Studio, please refer to their
manual or to the newsgroup: microsoft.public.vc.ide_general.

Matt

Titanus said:
Hello all,

I am running MS on a Dell PC and I want to get started writing C++
code. Only thing I can find about how to get started is to find MS SQL
Server. Okay, so once I find that, how do I begin: are there
templates? Where do I begin writing code?

Thanks.

The Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition with the Microsoft Platform SDK are
sufficient under Windows XP.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/visualc/download/
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/visualc/usingpsdk/

benben

Titanus said:
Hello all,

I am running MS on a Dell PC and I want to get started writing C++
code. Only thing I can find about how to get started is to find MS SQL
Server. Okay, so once I find that, how do I begin: are there
templates? Where do I begin writing code?

Thanks.

So why do you need SQL server to run C++? If you are barely starting
writing C++ code you shouldn't touch database programs (yet); if you are
starting writing C++ code dealing with databases, well, hmmm, you
shouldn't be asking in this group :)

People usually write C++ code in a text editor (standalone or part of an
IDE)

Regards,
Ben