Google Groups and netiquette

frescanah

Who is "you" and what the heck are you talking about?
Please provide context when you are replying to a Usenet posting.

| >> Gunnar Hjalmarsson ([email protected]) wrote [snip]
| >> Maybe it's time to revise the posting guidelines. You *can* deal
| >> with postings without context by simply viewing messages by
| >> thread, right?
| >>
| > 'can' as in "with extra effort, it's not impossible"? Sure.
| > But I don't *want* to. I rather have people asking questions
| > via google to be ignored.
| >
| > Abigail

My response was:

| Awwwww... you don't *want* to?
|
| Who cares? Do you think anyone really cares to hear you say you will
| ignore all posts from Google? Just do it and don't waste everyone's
| freaking time saying you're going to do it.

| Or do you think you're so great that a bunch of people are going to
| stop using Google Groups because they want to make sure you can read
| their post and just might gift them a moment of your time to answer?

Jürgen Exner

Who is "you" and what the heck are you talking about?
Please provide context when you are replying to a Usenet posting.
Gunnar Hjalmarsson ([email protected]) wrote [snip]
Maybe it's time to revise the posting guidelines. You *can* deal
with postings without context by simply viewing messages by
thread, right?

'can' as in "with extra effort, it's not impossible"? Sure.
But I don't *want* to. I rather have people asking questions
via google to be ignored.

Abigail

My response was: [...]
Or do you think you're so great that a bunch of people are going to
stop using Google Groups because they want to make sure you can read
their post and just might gift them a moment of your time to answer?

Well, considering that Abigail is among the top ten experts here (at least
in my opinion) it might be worthwhile some effort to ensure that he will
read your postings if you have a Perl problem that you like to have solved.

jue

Henry Law

Or do you think you're so great that a bunch of people are going to
stop using Google Groups because they want to make sure you can read
their post and just might gift them a moment of your time to answer?

I really don't think you get it. You want help from these people,
you do it their way. They're the best, you understand.

If you want to get second-rate then continue with your second-rate
news client and your second-rate arrogant ways and do it somewhere
else.

Anno Siegel

Jürgen Exner said:
Who is "you" and what the heck are you talking about?
Please provide context when you are replying to a Usenet posting.
Gunnar Hjalmarsson ([email protected]) wrote [snip]
Maybe it's time to revise the posting guidelines. You *can* deal
with postings without context by simply viewing messages by
thread, right?

'can' as in "with extra effort, it's not impossible"? Sure.
But I don't *want* to. I rather have people asking questions
via google to be ignored.

Abigail

My response was: [...]
Or do you think you're so great that a bunch of people are going to
stop using Google Groups because they want to make sure you can read
their post and just might gift them a moment of your time to answer?

Well, considering that Abigail is among the top ten experts here (at least

Here? Abigail is among the top Perl Experts world wide.

Anno

Arthur J. O'Dwyer

Gunnar said:
It seems like groups-beta.google.com has undergone a change which
leads people to not quote anything when replying to a message. Maybe
those who dislike when people reply without providing context should
better call Google's attention to the problem rather than blaming GG
posters...
[...]
I will complain to Google Groups regarding this, but I am not sure how
seriously they will take it. They are a private company after all, and
the more they align the behavior of their interface with the
expectations of the clueless, the more users they will have.

So, at this point, wholesale killfiling of all Google Groups posts is
beginning to look like an attractive option.

Right. But that doesn't stop the flood. What is needed is more people
to complain loudly and often to Google itself.

groups-support\@google.com (\@ instead of @ for Beta users)
support\@google.com
privacymatters\@google.com
software-principles\@google.com
groups-abuse\@google.com

and any personal addresses you know. Another tactic I have been trying,
so far to no avail, is to discourage the use of Google Groups Beta over
Google Groups (now available only on .es, .ru, and a few holdouts, soon
to be available nowhere) by removing content from their interface:

http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~ajo/dont-be-evil.html#newcontent

If you would prefer to see Usenet go back to niceness, and Google
Groups Beta be reverted to Google Groups "Classic" (which didn't have
most of Beta's bugs and misfeatures), please help! E-mail Google and
remove posts.

-Arthur