Google trends of Perl, PHP, Python, Visual Basic, assembly language

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Ben Bullock, May 19, 2006.

  1. Ben Bullock

    Ben Bullock Guest

    Here is an interesting comparison of Perl, Python, Visual Basic, and
    assembly language:

    http://www.google.com/trends?q=Perl...ke, assembly language&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all

    Adding PHP swamps the details of the above:

    http://www.google.com/trends?q=Perl...ke, assembly language&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all

    PHP seems to be the winner, although my guess is that this numerical
    superiority comes from false positives due to the number of web pages with a
    ".php" in their URL. As for the other results, it also looks as if Perl has
    the roughly same popularity as Visual Basic. [Note: The "monty" is removed
    from the Python search since this increases Python's popularity about 20%. I
    put "snake" there for good measure although this doesn't seem to alter the
    results significantly]. Bad news for assembly language programmers: assembly
    language seems to be completely out of favour.

    --
    sci.lang.japan FAQ: http://www.sljfaq.org/afaq/afaq.html
    Ben Bullock, May 19, 2006