Graphical Debugger

Brian Schröder

Hello Group,

I know that freeride has a graphical ruby debugger. I really like debuggers with a gui (coming from delphi) but I also really love editing my code with xemacs. Is there something like a stand alone graphical debugger, or some devious mode to make my xemacs a ruby debugging gui?

Thanks,

Brian

Tobias Luetke

You will like eclipse with the ruby plugin

Hello Group,

I know that freeride has a graphical ruby debugger. I really like debuggers with a gui (coming from delphi) but I also really love editing my code with xemacs. Is there something like a stand alone graphical debugger, or some devious mode to make my xemacs a ruby debugging gui?

Thanks,

Brian

Lothar Scholz

Hello Tobias,

TL> You will like eclipse with the ruby plugin

He will also like Arachno Ruby.

Brian Schröder

Hello Tobias and Lothar,

Thanks for the suggestions.

I just tried to use eclipse, but it is too much things for me, I don't need an editor, and I can manage my files quite well, I only wanted to visually step through ruby source code, inspect variables and set breakpoints. Maybe something more like ddd, allowing me to use specific tools for specific purposes. (Even so I have to admit that xemacs does not quite count as a specific tool ;)

To Arachno Ruby applies the same, and I do not plan on buying a full featured IDE if I only need a debugger. (Even though it looks nice).

Regards,

Brian

Dan Debertin

Hello Brian

Brian Schröder said:
I know that freeride has a graphical ruby debugger. I really like
debuggers with a gui (coming from delphi)

At one time I worked on getting Ruby support into DDD, but it was too
complex a task for me. If you like C++ and have some time, it would be
a worthwhile addition.
but I also really love editing my code with xemacs. Is there
something like a stand alone graphical debugger, or some devious
mode to make my xemacs a ruby debugging gui?

The 'misc' directory under the Ruby source tree contains
rubydb3x.el. Load that and run M-x rubydb. When it asks you how to run
the Ruby debugger, answer 'ruby -rdebug FILENAME'. That should be all
you need to get single-stepping, breakpoints, etc. under Emacs.

(Note -- I haven't done this under Xemacs, only GNU Emacs. So YMMV.)

Dan

Florian Gross

Brian said:
I know that freeride has a graphical ruby debugger. I really like
debuggers with a gui (coming from delphi) but I also really love
editing my code with xemacs. Is there something like a stand alone
graphical debugger, or some devious mode to make my xemacs a ruby
debugging gui?

Do you really need it to be graphical? I have written a simple debugging
tool that uses method calls for spawning irb sessions and contributed it
to the dev-utils project. It might be an alternative.

Brian Schröder

Thank you Dan,

it works like a charm. Weird that I did not encounter it. I repeatedly searched the wikis and google for anything ruby with emacs related and never saw the debugger inclusion.

Regards,

Brian

Brian Schröder

Do you really need it to be graphical? I have written a simple debugging
tool that uses method calls for spawning irb sessions and contributed it
to the dev-utils project. It might be an alternative.

Thanks for the comment. I like the rubydb.el idea. But I've got no time doing ruby right now, so I hope to play around with both solutions later.

Regards,

Brian