GUI builder for Python

Discussion in 'Python' started by Smille Purusa, Aug 15, 2003.

  1. henry wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Just wondering if there's a good GUI builder for Python. Something like
    > Visual Tcl, where you just drag and drop objects.
    >
    > Not too good with creating user interfaces from code along.
    >
    > Thanks

    You can try boa or pythoncard.

    Smille

    henry, Aug 15, 2003

  3. Michael Peuser wrote:
    > There are some commercial GUI Builders out of the normal budget.

    By the way, I hear that PythonWorks is "out of development" but they're
    still selling licenses to existing customers only. I wonder if there is
    any chance the Tkinter GUI builder that came with it may be freed...

    > Free ones are Black Adder for Qt, BoaConstructor for wx and some stuff
    > like PAGE or SpecTIX for TIX.

    BlackAdder isn't free -- it's cheap but still commercial. If and only
    if you're under the conditions for using the GPL license for Qt &c --
    basically if you're developing GPL for free operating systems, I think
    that's a fair summary -- you can use Trolltech's own QtDesigner and
    then pyuic to generate Python from the resulting XML file (that's more
    or less what BlackAdder does nowadays, though in a more integrated way:
    it uses an external QtDesigner rather than trying to "embed" it as it
    once did in earlier versions).

    Alex

    Alex Martelli, Aug 15, 2003
  4. Hi Alex,

    "Alex Martelli" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > Michael Peuser wrote:
    > > There are some commercial GUI Builders out of the normal budget.

    > By the way, I hear that PythonWorks is "out of development" but they're
    > still selling licenses to existing customers only.

    This is what they say on their pages - I ask in this group some days ago
    about the state (especially of the uiToolkit) but there were no replies so
    far....

    > ..... I wonder if there is
    > any chance the Tkinter GUI builder that came with it may be freed...

    This would be great because it would give us a very profesional IDE. I am
    even willing - let's have a look in my purse - yes, about 25 $/Euro for it
    ;-)

    > > Free ones are Black Adder for Qt, BoaConstructor for wx and some stuff
    > > like PAGE or SpecTIX for TIX.

    > BlackAdder isn't free -- it's cheap but still commercial. If and only
    > if you're under the conditions for using the GPL license for Qt &c --
    > basically if you're developing GPL for free operating systems, I think
    > that's a fair summary -- you can use Trolltech's own QtDesigner and
    > then pyuic to generate Python from the resulting XML file (that's more
    > or less what BlackAdder does nowadays, though in a more integrated way:
    > it uses an external QtDesigner rather than trying to "embed" it as it
    > once did in earlier versions).

    Quite true. Although I like Qt very much and rate it highes among the
    existing GUI-Toolkits - the quite license situation is somwhat annoying.
    There is not only Trolltech involved but another company (Riverbank, I
    think) for the Python bindings.
    BTW the scientitific plot package PyQwt is great.

    Michael Peuser, Aug 15, 2003
  5. In article <nx%_a.730754$>, henry wrote:

    > Just wondering if there's a good GUI builder for Python. Something like
    > Visual Tcl, where you just drag and drop objects.

    I like the way glade produces an xml file that can be loaded dynamically by
    libglade. PyQT/qtdesigner and wxpython/wxglade have similar features
    apparently.

    There's an article on pygtk and glade in September's Linux Journal:

    Though the author seems to have missed the autoconnect method, which will
    automatically connect callback functions/methods with the same name as the
    handlers you define in glade.

    > Not too good with creating user interfaces from code along.

    Not one of programming's most thrilling chores.

    Dave Cook

    David M. Cook, Aug 15, 2003
  6. Smille Purusa

    henry Guest

    You know any free ones for Tkinter?

    thanks

    "Michael Peuser" <> wrote in message
    > Hi Henry,
    >
    > there is a discussion of this topic from time to time - every week I

    should

    henry, Aug 15, 2003
  7. Smille Purusa

    dan Guest

    "henry" <> wrote in message news:<nx%_a.730754$>...
    > Hi,
    >
    > Just wondering if there's a good GUI builder for Python. Something like
    > Visual Tcl, where you just drag and drop objects.
    >
    > Not too good with creating user interfaces from code along.
    >
    > Thanks

    Been wondering myself. How is http://sourceforge.net/projects/wxworkshop/?

    this looks nice and it's free.

    dan, Aug 16, 2003
  8. <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > dan wrote:
    > >

    > > Been wondering myself. How is

    http://sourceforge.net/projects/wxworkshop/?

    > > this looks nice and it's free.

    > I'm wondoering about Visual Wx. This looks like someone put much
    > work into it, but I haven't been able to get it to do anything.
    > This is probablyt because I can't find any documentation in English
    > that tells how to get it to do anything.
    >

    > Al

    Well try it out then - a little bit English is in it ;-)
    http://visualwx.altervista.org/indexen.htm

    Attention: a lot of spam pop-up adds!

    Kindly
    Mchael P

    Michael Peuser, Aug 16, 2003
  9. Smille Purusa

    dan Guest

    "Michael Peuser" <> wrote in message news:<bhkeuk$8bg$05$-online.com>...

    > Have you tried it? It is not a Python tool ;-) And there had been not much
    > move there for more than a year...

    What do you mean about it not being a Python tool? It supports
    wxPython, right? If you mean it wasn't written in Python, why should
    I care about that?

    > There is a well known set of GUI Builders for Pyhon around, most of them
    > mentioned in this thread.
    > The most important decision is what GUI-Toolkit to use. This will influence
    > much of your *programming* tasks that follows the *layout*. Printing?
    > HTML-Widget? Drag-and-Drop?

    Agreed.

    > There is no silver bullet at the Python market at the moment...

    Too bad.

    -dbm

    dan, Aug 16, 2003
  10. Well, of course you are absolutly right, but we are real programmers aren't
    we. And all interface is english (with even less typos than in my postings
    ;-)).

    Given, that Visual Wx is meant for C++ as a lot of other GUI Builders.
    Python and Perl is a side issue, but it seems to work. For a preview you can
    only use:

    Build - Run which starts the Python interpreter with the Python code. But
    where is the code?

    - Make a new Project
    - Select a template that sounds good: Menu_Toolbar_Python e.g.
    - Store it somewhere.

    Now it is a little disappointing that nothing breathtaking pops up.
    But you already can "RUN" it. Looks great.
    Use the tree at the right hand side to open the design of MyFrame or look at
    the source code (Python). In seems there is something missing (MyApp,
    MyFrame), but you can open the sources using the L-Icon. The problem now is,
    that the file types is set to Python and - hey presto - there are the files.

    Well, all over a little immature but that's the situation with most of the
    tools, which were meant for C++ und got a Perl/Python outlet...

    Kindly
    Michael Peuser

    Michael Peuser, Aug 16, 2003
  11. henry wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Just wondering if there's a good GUI builder for Python. Something like
    > Visual Tcl, where you just drag and drop objects.
    >
    > Not too good with creating user interfaces from code along.
    >
    > Thanks

    If you are about to go with PyQt I would recommend you try eric3
    (http://www.die-offenbachs.de/detlev/eric3.html). It is an IDE built for
    Python coded with Python and PyQt. And most of all, eric3 is free. As
    its GUI-Builder it uses Qt-Designer.

    Detlev
    --
    Detlev Offenbach

    Detlev Offenbach, Aug 16, 2003
  12. Smille Purusa

    Bobo O Guest

    > I'm wondoering about Visual Wx. This looks like someone put much
    > work into it, but I haven't been able to get it to do anything.
    > This is probablyt because I can't find any documentation in English
    > that tells how to get it to do anything.

    my english is bad...sorry

    You execute these steps in order to add project

    1) file\new project select template for python gui
    2) store project in the new directory
    3) double click on the right panels for open file

    Add components:
    1) Select component on the left panel
    2) draw it on the form

    Change parent components
    1) draw panels & components on the form
    2) select component for change parent
    3) select properties tag on the left panel
    4) change parent property

    Notebook :
    1) draw notebook & panels
    2) change parent property of the panel (set notebook component like parents)

    http://visualwx.altervista.org/
    nuova release 0.7 [freeware]
    VisualWx rad per wxwindows,c++ e python

    Bobo O, Aug 16, 2003