Help creating a database driven breadcrumb trail

Red

Hi,

Can someone give me a starting point, as I can't figure this out myself.

I want to create a breadcrumb trail on a site, but instead of being
generated by cookies or a directory structure, it needs to be database
driven. My website details hundreds of products, each belonging to a
category. Each category can belong to a parent category, and so on.

My site will feature master/detail pages, and both need to feature a
trail, e.g.

Books > Hobbies > Sport > Football

The master page will list all items within the current category, and the
trail will allow the user to click to any parent category for a wider
listing.

The detail page will show the item detail, along with a full trail to
the category/parent categories it belongs to.

The category structure will grow over time, and different branches will
have different number of levels so it needs to be maintainable.

Anyone give me a little help starting?

Many TIA,

Red.

Mike Brind

Red said:
[...]

I googled "asp -net breadcrumb navigation database" (without the
quotes), and found several articles that provide a good starting point.