Help creating new web project

Donald French

I have posted this before and got n real help.

I have been beating my head against the wall over this one. Everytime I try
to create a new web application I get this message. I have done the
following

uninstalled IIS
removed Inetpub
reinstalled IIS
ran aspnet_regiis
followed the directions in webserver.htm

Still get the message "Web Server reported and error when attempting to
create or open a Web project located at the following URL:
'http://localhost/WebProject1'. 'A connection with the server cou;d not be
established'.

Config is XP Tablet Edition SP2, VS2003, IIS5.1, Norton Firewall (currently
off), MS Firewall is also off.

I can create a new frontpage website at localhost/mysite. I can not create
one in just localhost though. I am not sure if you can do that generally
though. I am trying to create a new web project at
http://localhost/WebProject1.

Not sure what else will help.

Thank you

Donald French

Patrick Olurotimi Ige

Are u using any sort of Firewall program.or AntiVirus??
Becos thet prevent server connection from taking place..Many people with
this error think the have disabled it but actually they haven't..
Patrick

Donald French

I have norton totally disabled. Is there another anti-virus that is standard
on XP that I do not know about?
dhf

Patrick Olurotimi Ige

Donald see below what Doug did he had simlar problesm like u!!

Thanks for your reply to my cry for help.
You called it...right on the money.
The McAfee Antivirus software preloaded on my computer has several
functions going on within it. Since this machine isn't going out on the
internet anytime soon, I normally disable the anti-vi after bootup.
However, I thought I was disabling the whole McAfee package. No, I was
only disabling the Online VirusScan. The Personal Firewall part of it
was still running when I started the VS IDE. That's what was preventing
the server connection from taking place. When I checked the firewall
settings, lo and behold, internet access through the VS IDE was
"completely blocked". As soon as I changed that setting, I was able to
create a new ASP project, display it through IE, and re-open it again as
an existing project.

I am posting this so that another newbie like me can benefit from my
stupidity.

Again, you called it exactly, and Thanks a bunch for your help. You are
the man.

Hope its helps!!

Patrick

Donald French

Thanks for the information, but it did not work. I have disabled bith the
firewall and the anti-virus. Still get the same error. This is killing me.

dhf

Donald French

Sure did and it did not work. Finally go in touch with MS support. The
problem was in an IE setting.

Under Internet Options -> LAN Setting had to be sure "Automatically detect
settings had to be checked". Who would have thunk ;^)

Also founbd out that even if you turn off the norton and MS firewall, they
can still block some traffic. First added exceptions to both (already was in
norton). That still did not work. Made the IE change and it worked
perfectly. Went back and removed the exception form the MS firewall(not
using it), and it still worked.

Thanks for your help and hope this helps others. Not sure where to post this
fix. Noticed others haveing the same problem.

Donald French

Patrick Olurotimi Ige

What ..that worked for you!!
Thats the first time i came across such solution regarding this ERROR..
Donald u have to POST this somewhere..
Do u have a blog site?
Patrick

Donald French

Not at this time. The MS person told me it is a common problem. VS uses the
configuration of IE to determine its connection information.

dhf