    whatsoever? Thank You for your help. I would like a reply as soon as
    possible. Project might even start tomorrow.

    Babar.
    Babar, May 20, 2004

  2. Babar

    Chris Smith Guest

    Babar wrote:
    > I have been working at a company for a few months now and now they
    > have this project for me where I'll have to convert IDS from JDK 1.1
    > to JDK 1.4.

    What do you mean by IDS? I can't find anything to suggest a meaning for
    that acronym. There's a SourceForge project by that name, but it's
    apparently written in Perl.

    > I have no clue about JAVA and have never taken it; can anybody please
    > explain to me what this entails i.e. Converting IDS from JDK 1.1 to
    > JDK 1.4. , and would I be able to do it with no knowledge of JAVA
    > whatsoever?

    Assuming this is source code you want to convert, it would be risky to
    try to accomplish conversion from such an old version of Java without
    knowing *anything* about Java.

    You're much more likely to be successful if the project doesn't use GUI
    controls (Swing or AWT); recent versions of Java are largely backward
    compatible, but there are several questionable pieces of GUI code that
    could break, particularly relating to control focus.

    --
    www.designacourse.com

    MindIQ Corporation
    Chris Smith, May 20, 2004