Help with creating ASP.NET project using VS.NET on a Server

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Kin Ng, Jul 22, 2003.

  1. Kin Ng

    Kin Ng Guest

    Hi,

    I have been trying to create a Web project since day 1 of VS.NET 2002
    and now VS.NET 2003. I am trying to create a project on a W2K Server
    with a site called test3 and host header test3. I entered the
    127.0.0.1 to my hosts file. I am trying to do development locally for
    different sites (since MS was so short-signed to limit workstation
    development to ONE site)

    I got this error message:

    Unable to create Web project 'WebApplication1'. The UNC share
    '\\test3\wwwroot$\WebApplication1' does not exist or you do not have
    access.

    The strange thing is I got this in a DOS windows before creating
    test3.

    E:\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc>dir \\localhost\wwwroot$
    A duplicate name exists on the network.

    I got this also after creating test3.

    E:\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc>dir \\test3\wwwroot$
    A duplicate name exists on the network.

    Please help in this more than 1-year-old mystery.

    Kin Ng, Jul 22, 2003