    --
    James Coglan
    http://github.com

    James Coglan, Jul 13, 2008

  2. On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 8:47 AM, James Coglan <> wrote:
    > Is it possible to remove the dependency on Hoe from a gem that I've used Hoe
    > to create? Far as I can tell, I only need Hoe to build the gem -- the gem
    > itself does not need Hoe to run so it shouldn't include it as a dependency
    > to install on other boxes. Could someone let me know whether I've got this
    > all wrong or whether in fact I *can* remove the hoe dependency when building
    > my gem?

    As of the most recent release of Hoe, it's no longer a runtime
    dependency. This behavior requires RubyGems 1.2.

    ~ j.

    John Barnette, Jul 13, 2008

  3. James Coglan

    James Coglan Guest

    2008/7/13 John Barnette <>:

    > On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 8:47 AM, James Coglan <>
    > wrote:
    > > Is it possible to remove the dependency on Hoe from a gem that I've used

    > Hoe
    > > to create? Far as I can tell, I only need Hoe to build the gem -- the gem
    > > itself does not need Hoe to run so it shouldn't include it as a

    > dependency
    > > to install on other boxes. Could someone let me know whether I've got

    > this
    > > all wrong or whether in fact I *can* remove the hoe dependency when

    > building
    > > my gem?

    > As of the most recent release of Hoe, it's no longer a runtime
    > dependency. This behavior requires RubyGems 1.2.

    I'm still getting errors trying to run my gem's command line executable
    without hoe installed. I have rubgems 1.2.0 and hoe 1.7.0. If you check out
    this project:

    http://github.com/jcoglan/jake

    Run:

    rake gem
    sudo gem uninstall hoe
    sudo gem install pkg/jake-0.9.0.gem

    It does not attempt to install hoe. However the executable won't run:

    $ jake -h
    /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:578:in `report_activate_error':
    Could not find RubyGem hoe (>= 1.7.0) (Gem::LoadError)
    from /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:134:in `activate'
    from /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:158:in `activate'
    from /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:157:in `each'
    from /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:157:in `activate'
    from /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:158:in `activate'
    from /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:157:in `each'
    from /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:157:in `activate'
    from /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:49:in `gem'
    from /usr/bin/jake:18

    (If you want run this prog, you'll need oyster. It's not released yet, but
    you can get it as follows:)

    git clone http://github.com/jcoglan/oyster oyster
    cd oyster
    rake install_gem

    Best,
    James

    James Coglan, Jul 14, 2008
  4. James Coglan

    James Coglan Guest

    > $ jake -h
    > /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:578:in `report_activate_error':
    > Could not find RubyGem hoe (>= 1.7.0) (Gem::LoadError)
    > from /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:134:in `activate'
    > from /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:158:in `activate'
    > from /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:157:in `each'
    > from /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:157:in `activate'
    > from /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:158:in `activate'
    > from /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:157:in `each'
    > from /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:157:in `activate'
    > from /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:49:in `gem'
    > from /usr/bin/jake:18

    By the way, here's /usr/bin/jake :

    #!/usr/bin/ruby1.8
    #
    # This file was generated by RubyGems.
    #
    # The application 'jake' is installed as part of a gem, and
    # this file is here to facilitate running it.
    #

    require 'rubygems'

    version = ">= 0"

    if ARGV.first =~ /^_(.*)_$/ and Gem::Version.correct? $1 then
    version = $1
    ARGV.shift
    end

    gem 'jake', version
    load 'jake'

    James Coglan, Jul 14, 2008
  5. James Coglan

    Ryan Davis Guest

    On Jul 13, 2008, at 08:47 , James Coglan wrote:

    > Is it possible to remove the dependency on Hoe from a gem that I've
    > used Hoe
    > to create? Far as I can tell, I only need Hoe to build the gem --
    > the gem
    > itself does not need Hoe to run so it shouldn't include it as a
    > dependency
    > to install on other boxes. Could someone let me know whether I've
    > got this
    > all wrong or whether in fact I *can* remove the hoe dependency when
    > building
    > my gem?

    Update your gems. As John said, the latest version uses rubygems' new
    developer dependencies.

    Also, don't use this mailing list to get support for my (or other for
    that matter) ruby-related-but-not-ruby projects. Write me directly or
    file a support request.

    Ryan Davis, Jul 14, 2008
  6. James Coglan

    Eric Hodel Guest

    On Jul 14, 2008, at 03:50 AM, James Coglan wrote:
    > 2008/7/13 John Barnette <>:
    >> On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 8:47 AM, James Coglan
    >> <>
    >> wrote:
    >>> Is it possible to remove the dependency on Hoe from a gem that
    >>> I've used Hoe
    >>> to create? Far as I can tell, I only need Hoe to build the gem --
    >>> the gem
    >>> itself does not need Hoe to run so it shouldn't include it as a
    >>> dependency
    >>> to install on other boxes. Could someone let me know whether I've
    >>> got this
    >>> all wrong or whether in fact I *can* remove the hoe dependency
    >>> when building
    >>> my gem?

    >> As of the most recent release of Hoe, it's no longer a runtime
    >> dependency. This behavior requires RubyGems 1.2.

    > I'm still getting errors trying to run my gem's command line
    > executable
    > without hoe installed. I have rubgems 1.2.0 and hoe 1.7.0.

    It is RubyGems' bug.

    Eric Hodel, Jul 15, 2008