    Will there be any conflicts or problems if I install more browsers on
    the same computer?

    jeb

    John Brandt, Jun 22, 2004

  2. John Brandt

    rf Guest

    <John Brandt> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Like all good web designers, I try to view my works with other
    > browsers and in other settings to see how my design hold up. I
    > currently use IE as my default browswer on my PC (running WinXP) and
    > also have a copy of Opera.
    >
    > Now I am interested in Mozilla and Foxfire.
    >
    > Will there be any conflicts or problems if I install more browsers on
    > the same computer?

    No.

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Jun 22, 2004

  3. John Brandt

    Neal Guest

    On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 20:57:02 -0400, John Brandt <unknown> wrote:

    > Like all good web designers, I try to view my works with other
    > browsers and in other settings to see how my design hold up. I
    > currently use IE as my default browswer on my PC (running WinXP) and
    > also have a copy of Opera.
    >
    > Now I am interested in Mozilla and Foxfire.
    >
    > Will there be any conflicts or problems if I install more browsers on
    > the same computer?
    >
    > jeb

    Basically, no. Unless you are installing a browser which would overwrite
    the other. But even that can be done. Ex. Stand-alone IE5+ browsers - see
    http://www.insert-title.com/web_design/?page=articles/dev/multi_IE

    Neal, Jun 22, 2004
  4. John Brandt

    C A Upsdell Guest

    > Like all good web designers, I try to view my works with other
    > browsers and in other settings to see how my design hold up. I
    > currently use IE as my default browswer on my PC (running WinXP) and
    > also have a copy of Opera.
    >
    > Now I am interested in Mozilla and Foxfire.
    >
    > Will there be any conflicts or problems if I install more browsers on
    > the same computer?

    I think that each must have its own profile.

    C A Upsdell, Jun 22, 2004
  5. Toby A Inkster, Jun 22, 2004
  6. John Brandt

    Augustus Guest

    > Like all good web designers, I try to view my works with other
    > browsers and in other settings to see how my design hold up. I
    > currently use IE as my default browswer on my PC (running WinXP) and
    > also have a copy of Opera.
    >
    > Now I am interested in Mozilla and Foxfire.
    >
    > Will there be any conflicts or problems if I install more browsers on
    > the same computer?

    with different browsers it would be "no"

    I heard some people have had problems installing older versions of IE that
    conflicted with recent versions of IE

    Augustus, Jun 22, 2004
  7. John Brandt

    SpaceGirl Guest

    > Like all good web designers, I try to view my works with other
    > browsers and in other settings to see how my design hold up. I
    > currently use IE as my default browswer on my PC (running WinXP) and
    > also have a copy of Opera.
    >
    > Now I am interested in Mozilla and Foxfire.
    >
    > Will there be any conflicts or problems if I install more browsers on
    > the same computer?
    >
    > jeb

    I have AvantBrowser, IE 6, IE 5.5, IE 5.0, Mozilla 1.7, Firefox 0.9 and
    Opera 7.51 installed on here. They all co-exist perfectly. I use
    AvantBrowser as my primary browser (it's a wrapper for IE6).

    http://www.mozilla.org (Mozilla and FireFox can be found here)
    http://www.opera.com
    http://www.avantbrowser.com
    http://www.skyzyx.com/downloads/ (all old versions of IE)

    SpaceGirl, Jun 22, 2004
  8. John Brandt

    Steve Pugh Guest

    John Brandt <> wrote:

    >Like all good web designers, I try to view my works with other
    >browsers and in other settings to see how my design hold up. I
    >currently use IE as my default browswer on my PC (running WinXP) and
    >also have a copy of Opera.
    >
    >Now I am interested in Mozilla and Foxfire.

    I have the following on my pc:
    IE5, IE5.5, IE6, Netscape 4.8, Netscape 6.2, Netscape 7.1, Mozilla
    1.6, FireFox 0.8, Opera 5.12, Opera 6.06, Opera 7.23, Opera 7.51, Lynx
    2.8, MSN TV Viewer 2.8, MultiWeb 2.08
    And I've got install files for lots of older versions as well.

    I regard testing in the three IEs, a recent Gecko and the latest Opera
    as the bare minimum (plus getting it tested in Mac IE 5 and Safari). I
    don't expect it to look anything close to identical in all browsers
    but I do expect it to be usable. Most sites (rather than all
    individual pages) are tested in a wider range.

    I also use Opera a lot for testing as the ability to rapidly toggle
    images/css/javascript/frames/plugins/etc. on and off is very useful.
    Lynx will tell me what it's like with them all off, but what's it like
    with some of them off and some of them on?

    >Will there be any conflicts or problems if I install more browsers on
    >the same computer?

    Installing multiple IE's is a bit tricky, but once it's working it
    seems to stay working, see
    http://www.insert-title.com/web_design/?page=articles/dev/multi_IE

    I also sometimes have problems with the multiple Gecko's - they
    install side by side without problem but their desire to share
    profiles, etc. sometimes leads to configuration problems.

    Steve

    Steve Pugh <> <http://steve.pugh.net/>

    Steve Pugh, Jun 22, 2004
  9. John Brandt

    SpaceGirl Guest

    <snip>

    > I also sometimes have problems with the multiple Gecko's - they
    > install side by side without problem but their desire to share
    > profiles, etc. sometimes leads to configuration problems.
    >
    > Steve

    ....plus they love the heat and curl up around your monitor. Before you know
    it you have lots of baby Geckos.

    SpaceGirl, Jun 22, 2004
  10. John Brandt

    Els Guest

    Steve Pugh wrote:

    > I also sometimes have problems with the multiple Gecko's -
    > they install side by side without problem but their desire
    > to share profiles, etc. sometimes leads to configuration
    > problems.

    I too use multiple Gecko's at the same time, but I found I have
    no problems, I just use seperate profiles.
    NS7.1 and Moz 1.4 share the same 'profile list', so I gave
    'default' to 7.1, and made one extra with the name Mozilla, to
    not get confused. I did the same with Firefox and Firebird.
    These two don't seem to have any files in common with NS and Moz
    though.

    --
    Els
    http://locusmeus.com/

    Els, Jun 22, 2004
  11. John Brandt

    Els Guest

    SpaceGirl wrote:

    >> I also sometimes have problems with the multiple Gecko's -
    >> they install side by side without problem but their desire
    >> to share profiles, etc. sometimes leads to configuration
    >> problems.

    > ...plus they love the heat and curl up around your monitor.
    > Before you know it you have lots of baby Geckos.

    <g>

    --
    Els
    http://locusmeus.com/

    Els, Jun 22, 2004
  12. John Brandt

    Steve Pugh Guest

    Els <> wrote:
    >Steve Pugh wrote:
    >
    >> I also sometimes have problems with the multiple Gecko's -
    >> they install side by side without problem but their desire
    >> to share profiles, etc. sometimes leads to configuration
    >> problems.

    >I too use multiple Gecko's at the same time, but I found I have
    >no problems, I just use seperate profiles.

    That's what I did, set up one profile for each Gecko browser. But they
    still do strange things like looking in each others plugins folder - I
    recently ended up with multiple Flash plugins listed on the plugins
    page with no indication which one (they were different versions) was
    being used. Made debugging some ActionScript very tricky.

    Steve Pugh, Jun 22, 2004
  13. John Brandt

    Els Guest

    Steve Pugh wrote:

    > Els <> wrote:
    >>Steve Pugh wrote:
    >>
    >>> I also sometimes have problems with the multiple Gecko's
    >>> - they install side by side without problem but their
    >>> desire to share profiles, etc. sometimes leads to
    >>> configuration problems.

    >>I too use multiple Gecko's at the same time, but I found I
    >>have no problems, I just use seperate profiles.

    > That's what I did, set up one profile for each Gecko
    > browser. But they still do strange things like looking in
    > each others plugins folder - I recently ended up with
    > multiple Flash plugins listed on the plugins page with no
    > indication which one (they were different versions) was
    > being used. Made debugging some ActionScript very tricky.

    Okay, didn't know that. I don't use any plugins afaik, nor
    ActionScript :)
    It might help installing them all into different folders,
    including the plugins? I never install stuff in the programs
    folder on the c-drive if given the choice.

    --
    Els
    http://locusmeus.com/

    Els, Jun 22, 2004
  14. John Brandt wrote:

    > Like all good web designers, I try to view my works with other
    > browsers and in other settings to see how my design hold up. I
    > currently use IE as my default browswer on my PC (running WinXP) and
    > also have a copy of Opera.
    >
    > Now I am interested in Mozilla and Foxfire.
    >
    > Will there be any conflicts or problems if I install more browsers on
    > the same computer?
    >
    > jeb

    I have both installed they use common area's with Netscape ( settings
    caches , mail )
    the only conflict I know of is that when netscape is open Mozilla will
    give an error that you are trying to use the same (default) user profile
    that Netscape is using already
    opening both with 2 different profiles might get you some other problems
    too.

    I haven;t heard of any incompatibilities between adjacent browsers
    unless you have installed different versions of javascript one on top of
    he other ... (i.e all in the same directory)
    You could expect to get some form of weird behaviour if you try to use a
    browser with a (older) version of JS while another is open
    but those are 3rd party-runtime conflicts, and you know of course how to
    resolve those.

    Derek

    derek giroulle, Jun 24, 2004
  15. John Brandt

    Courtney Guest

    derek giroulle wrote:

    > John Brandt wrote:
    >
    >> Like all good web designers, I try to view my works with other
    >> browsers and in other settings to see how my design hold up. I
    >> currently use IE as my default browswer on my PC (running WinXP) and
    >> also have a copy of Opera.
    >> Now I am interested in Mozilla and Foxfire.
    >> Will there be any conflicts or problems if I install more browsers on
    >> the same computer?
    >>
    >> jeb

    > I have both installed they use common area's with Netscape ( settings
    > caches , mail )
    > the only conflict I know of is that when netscape is open Mozilla will
    > give an error that you are trying to use the same (default) user profile
    > that Netscape is using already
    > opening both with 2 different profiles might get you some other problems
    > too.
    >
    > I haven;t heard of any incompatibilities between adjacent browsers
    > unless you have installed different versions of javascript one on top of
    > he other ... (i.e all in the same directory)
    > You could expect to get some form of weird behaviour if you try to use a
    > browser with a (older) version of JS while another is open
    > but those are 3rd party-runtime conflicts, and you know of course how to
    > resolve those.
    >
    > Derek

    I have every browser you mentioned (except, I use FireFox--in fact, it's
    my favorite). I also have Amaya and Amaya GL.

    The only thing you may have a problem with is installing multiple
    versions of Internet Explorer.

    courtney sends....

    Courtney, Nov 27, 2004