How many browsers on one computer?

John Brandt

Like all good web designers, I try to view my works with other
browsers and in other settings to see how my design hold up. I
currently use IE as my default browswer on my PC (running WinXP) and
also have a copy of Opera.

Now I am interested in Mozilla and Foxfire.

Will there be any conflicts or problems if I install more browsers on
the same computer?

jeb

rf

Like all good web designers, I try to view my works with other
browsers and in other settings to see how my design hold up. I
currently use IE as my default browswer on my PC (running WinXP) and
also have a copy of Opera.

Now I am interested in Mozilla and Foxfire.

Will there be any conflicts or problems if I install more browsers on
the same computer?

No.

Neal

Like all good web designers, I try to view my works with other
browsers and in other settings to see how my design hold up. I
currently use IE as my default browswer on my PC (running WinXP) and
also have a copy of Opera.

Now I am interested in Mozilla and Foxfire.

Will there be any conflicts or problems if I install more browsers on
the same computer?

jeb

Basically, no. Unless you are installing a browser which would overwrite
the other. But even that can be done. Ex. Stand-alone IE5+ browsers - see
http://www.insert-title.com/web_design/?page=articles/dev/multi_IE

C A Upsdell

Like all good web designers, I try to view my works with other
browsers and in other settings to see how my design hold up. I
currently use IE as my default browswer on my PC (running WinXP) and
also have a copy of Opera.

Now I am interested in Mozilla and Foxfire.

Will there be any conflicts or problems if I install more browsers on
the same computer?

I think that each must have its own profile.

Augustus

Like all good web designers, I try to view my works with other
browsers and in other settings to see how my design hold up. I
currently use IE as my default browswer on my PC (running WinXP) and
also have a copy of Opera.

Now I am interested in Mozilla and Foxfire.

Will there be any conflicts or problems if I install more browsers on
the same computer?

with different browsers it would be "no"

I heard some people have had problems installing older versions of IE that
conflicted with recent versions of IE

SpaceGirl

Like all good web designers, I try to view my works with other
browsers and in other settings to see how my design hold up. I
currently use IE as my default browswer on my PC (running WinXP) and
also have a copy of Opera.

Now I am interested in Mozilla and Foxfire.

Will there be any conflicts or problems if I install more browsers on
the same computer?

jeb

I have AvantBrowser, IE 6, IE 5.5, IE 5.0, Mozilla 1.7, Firefox 0.9 and
Opera 7.51 installed on here. They all co-exist perfectly. I use
AvantBrowser as my primary browser (it's a wrapper for IE6).

http://www.mozilla.org (Mozilla and FireFox can be found here)
http://www.opera.com
http://www.avantbrowser.com
http://www.skyzyx.com/downloads/ (all old versions of IE)

Steve Pugh

John Brandt said:
Like all good web designers, I try to view my works with other
browsers and in other settings to see how my design hold up. I
currently use IE as my default browswer on my PC (running WinXP) and
also have a copy of Opera.

Now I am interested in Mozilla and Foxfire.

I have the following on my pc:
IE5, IE5.5, IE6, Netscape 4.8, Netscape 6.2, Netscape 7.1, Mozilla
1.6, FireFox 0.8, Opera 5.12, Opera 6.06, Opera 7.23, Opera 7.51, Lynx
2.8, MSN TV Viewer 2.8, MultiWeb 2.08
And I've got install files for lots of older versions as well.

I regard testing in the three IEs, a recent Gecko and the latest Opera
as the bare minimum (plus getting it tested in Mac IE 5 and Safari). I
don't expect it to look anything close to identical in all browsers
but I do expect it to be usable. Most sites (rather than all
individual pages) are tested in a wider range.

I also use Opera a lot for testing as the ability to rapidly toggle
images/css/javascript/frames/plugins/etc. on and off is very useful.
Lynx will tell me what it's like with them all off, but what's it like
with some of them off and some of them on?
Will there be any conflicts or problems if I install more browsers on
the same computer?

Installing multiple IE's is a bit tricky, but once it's working it
seems to stay working, see
http://www.insert-title.com/web_design/?page=articles/dev/multi_IE

I also sometimes have problems with the multiple Gecko's - they
install side by side without problem but their desire to share
profiles, etc. sometimes leads to configuration problems.

Steve

SpaceGirl

I also sometimes have problems with the multiple Gecko's - they
install side by side without problem but their desire to share
profiles, etc. sometimes leads to configuration problems.

Steve

....plus they love the heat and curl up around your monitor. Before you know
it you have lots of baby Geckos.

Els

Steve said:
I also sometimes have problems with the multiple Gecko's -
they install side by side without problem but their desire
to share profiles, etc. sometimes leads to configuration
problems.

I too use multiple Gecko's at the same time, but I found I have
no problems, I just use seperate profiles.
NS7.1 and Moz 1.4 share the same 'profile list', so I gave
'default' to 7.1, and made one extra with the name Mozilla, to
not get confused. I did the same with Firefox and Firebird.
These two don't seem to have any files in common with NS and Moz
though.

Steve Pugh

Els said:
I too use multiple Gecko's at the same time, but I found I have
no problems, I just use seperate profiles.

That's what I did, set up one profile for each Gecko browser. But they
still do strange things like looking in each others plugins folder - I
recently ended up with multiple Flash plugins listed on the plugins
page with no indication which one (they were different versions) was
being used. Made debugging some ActionScript very tricky.

Steve

Els

Steve said:
That's what I did, set up one profile for each Gecko
browser. But they still do strange things like looking in
each others plugins folder - I recently ended up with
multiple Flash plugins listed on the plugins page with no
indication which one (they were different versions) was
being used. Made debugging some ActionScript very tricky.

Okay, didn't know that. I don't use any plugins afaik, nor
ActionScript :)
It might help installing them all into different folders,
including the plugins? I never install stuff in the programs
folder on the c-drive if given the choice.

derek giroulle

John said:
Like all good web designers, I try to view my works with other
browsers and in other settings to see how my design hold up. I
currently use IE as my default browswer on my PC (running WinXP) and
also have a copy of Opera.

Now I am interested in Mozilla and Foxfire.

Will there be any conflicts or problems if I install more browsers on
the same computer?

jeb

I have both installed they use common area's with Netscape ( settings
caches , mail )
the only conflict I know of is that when netscape is open Mozilla will
give an error that you are trying to use the same (default) user profile
that Netscape is using already
opening both with 2 different profiles might get you some other problems
too.

I haven;t heard of any incompatibilities between adjacent browsers
unless you have installed different versions of javascript one on top of
he other ... (i.e all in the same directory)
You could expect to get some form of weird behaviour if you try to use a
browser with a (older) version of JS while another is open
but those are 3rd party-runtime conflicts, and you know of course how to
resolve those.

Derek

Courtney

derek said:
I have both installed they use common area's with Netscape ( settings
caches , mail )
the only conflict I know of is that when netscape is open Mozilla will
give an error that you are trying to use the same (default) user profile
that Netscape is using already
opening both with 2 different profiles might get you some other problems
too.

I haven;t heard of any incompatibilities between adjacent browsers
unless you have installed different versions of javascript one on top of
he other ... (i.e all in the same directory)
You could expect to get some form of weird behaviour if you try to use a
browser with a (older) version of JS while another is open
but those are 3rd party-runtime conflicts, and you know of course how to
resolve those.

Derek

I have every browser you mentioned (except, I use FireFox--in fact, it's
my favorite). I also have Amaya and Amaya GL.

The only thing you may have a problem with is installing multiple
versions of Internet Explorer.

courtney sends....