Installing multiple browsers

dp

I need to install multiple browsers on my PC to test web sites. The last
time I installed Netscape 4.x it did nasty things like installing AIM
without asking.

I'd like to install...
Netscape 4.x
Netscape 6.x
Netscape 7.x
Opera
Mozilla
Currently running IE6.

Is this going to be do-able on one PC?
Are there any gotcha's I need to be concerned about (like AIM)?
Any recommended installation sequence?

Thanks for any assistance you may be able to offer.
dp

Chris Morris

dp said:
I need to install multiple browsers on my PC to test web sites. The last
time I installed Netscape 4.x it did nasty things like installing AIM
without asking.

I'd like to install...
Netscape 4.x
Netscape 6.x
Netscape 7.x
Opera

Which version(s)? I'd recommend having at least 5, 6 and 7 since they
do render differently, and they're all still in common use.
Mozilla
Currently running IE6.

Is this going to be do-able on one PC?

My windows test PC currently has 10 different versions of Netscape, 5
versions of Opera, and 6 other graphical browsers, as well as several
speech browsers. It's possible :) The only limitation is hard disk
space.
Are there any gotcha's I need to be concerned about (like AIM)?
Any recommended installation sequence?

Not really. Just make sure you select the 'custom installation'
option where possible and trim out things. I *think* you can drop AIM
from Netscape 4 like this. And obviously install them all to
different directories.

dp

Chris Morris said:
Which version(s)? I'd recommend having at least 5, 6 and 7 since they
do render differently, and they're all still in common use.

My windows test PC currently has 10 different versions of Netscape, 5
versions of Opera, and 6 other graphical browsers, as well as several
speech browsers. It's possible :) The only limitation is hard disk
space.

Not really. Just make sure you select the 'custom installation'
option where possible and trim out things. I *think* you can drop AIM
from Netscape 4 like this. And obviously install them all to
different directories.

Thank you everyone. I can see that I have a long Holiday weekend ahead of me
<g>

dp

dp said:
I need to install multiple browsers on my PC to test web sites. The last
time I installed Netscape 4.x it did nasty things like installing AIM
without asking.

I'd like to install...
Netscape 4.x
Netscape 6.x
Netscape 7.x
Opera
Mozilla
Currently running IE6.

Is this going to be do-able on one PC?
Are there any gotcha's I need to be concerned about (like AIM)?
Any recommended installation sequence?

Thanks for any assistance you may be able to offer.
dp

Just an FYI update...
It looks like Netscape 6.x, 7.x, and perhaps Mozilla may share some things.
Can't get the NS 4.0 browsers, the link's are there, but go nowhere.
NS 4.79, and 6.x install AIM without having an option to de-select it.
dp

Thomas Mlynarczyk

Also sprach Nicolai P. Zwar:
The various Netscape/Mozilla versions should run fine side by side
AFAIK, and obviously your experience substantiates that, but I suspect
there MIGHT be some problems once you de-install one of them. Don't
they share some of the same paths and registry entries even if you
install them into different directories? I don't recall if the custom
setup gives you the option to change ALL paths. I suspect you should
install the browser you suspect you will keep the longest first. Just
a guess, though.

I had some strange experiences when trying to de-install a NN6 and then
install a different sub-version of it under Win2K. I suddenly got the NN4
install screen, even though I had launched the NN6 setup - and vice versa!

Sid Ismail

On Sat, 5 Jul 2003 12:02:40 +0200, "Thomas Mlynarczyk"

: I had some strange experiences when trying to de-install a NN6 and then
: install a different sub-version of it under Win2K. I suddenly got the NN4
: install screen, even though I had launched the NN6 setup - and vice versa!

Thanks for sharing another quirk of NN4

Sid

rf

Thomas Mlynarczyk said:
Also sprach Nicolai P. Zwar:

I had some strange experiences when trying to de-install a NN6 and then
install a different sub-version of it under Win2K. I suddenly got the NN4
install screen, even though I had launched the NN6 setup - and vice versa!

Stands to reason. It's easy to install things in their own folder, even
their own partition. However all uninstall programs end up in the same
place, the windows uninstall info folder.

Cheers
Richard.