How to change NTFS Permissions programmitcally

Firas Assaad

I programmed a web application that will let members to register and
reserve space for them on my web using a folder they choose.
Every thing went well until i tried to test it on the WebServer it gave
me "Access Denied" Error.

Please, is there a way that i could give permissions to the folders i
want so that users could upload to to easily??

Hope there is a solution.

Best Regards
Firas S Assaad

Ray Costanzo [MVP]

If you know that's it's a permissions problem, what's preventing you from
changing the permissions? Right click the folder in Windows Explorer, go to
the security tab... I'm not sure exactly what you're asking here.

Ray at work

Firas Assaad

What i really mean is that, i programmed a feature that will be hosted
on the net, which will give the users and visitors to this page the
ability to register and get a free space at my website so that he could
put his own pages using. ex: http://www.myname.com/userfolder
You see the "userfolder" is a real folder on the web server. But the
problem is how could i put the permissions for the "userfolder" so that
the user could upload to it without getting the error "Access Denied".
And ofcourse i can't tell every user to wait few days until i modufy the
permissions for him. Because there are hunders of such websites that
will do what i want easyly and faster, like www.geocities.com

I hope u could give me that solustion as soon as possible

Thnx in advanced

Best Regards
Firas S Assaad

Ray Costanzo [MVP]

You could set the permissions on the parent folder. In a default setup, the
permissions will propegate down then. Just make sure that your app prevents
user1 from going to yoursite.com/user2's page and uploading files to it.

Ray at work

Firas Assaad

Thanx for the reply. But this way would cause other folder to change
their permission which i don't want to for security reasons. If there is
a way to change the NTFS Permissions for chosen folders i would to know
it cause my work is stoped on this.

And by the way, i am uploading using AspUpload 3.0. And i read on thier
user manual that i could login with the username to get previlage in
uploading files to any desired folder. But it failed, when i tried it.
If you know how to do it and it would help me in my work, i would
appreciate it if you tell me.

http://www.aspupload.com/manual_security.html

Thanx in Advance

Best Regards
Firas S Assaad
0096892166434
(e-mail address removed)
ASP/VBscript Developer

Firas Assaad

Isn't there anybody out there could help me with my little
problem???????????

Best Regards
Firas S Assaad
0096892166434
(e-mail address removed)
ASP/VBscript Developer

Stefan

Hi,

When your users’ login, make them all impersonate one local server user
you create with the required permissions. This will keep it simple,
never mind if a security issue arises you can just deny rights to the
one local server user you created locking down the site until you sniff
out the security hole.

Happy Coding,

Stefan, CompTIA A+, C# GURU

"You always have to look beyond the horizon and can never be complacent
-- God forbid we become complacent." -- Jozef Straus