how to create an Application catalog for intranet users

Steve B.

Hi,

I'm investigating on how to create an intranet web application that provide
corporate users a way to choose applications and install it with one click.
The applications are corporate application or 3rd party software (visio,
acrobat reader, etc.). Setup files are stored in some network shares.

Since web apps run in IE, a javascript cannot be use to run an executable
application.
What are the possible solutions for me to allow running an application setup
(exe, msi, cmd, etc) ?

I'm thinking of some solutions :
1. Create an HTA file and ask the user to launch it from the network share,
but the hta file is also an executable so hard to link into a web app.
2. create a custom activex or IE pluggable protocol (painfull to write and
need a first install)
3. create a windows application (also required an initial setup).

Thanks in advance for any help you can give !

Steve