HTML and CSS validation of password protected pages

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Luigi Donatello Asero, Jan 3, 2006.

  1. Luigi Donatello Asero, Jan 3, 2006

  2. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Chris Beall Guest

    Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:

    > How can I Html and CSS validate my
    > password protected pages?

    Luigi,

    I would use the "Validate by file upload" option, pointing to the
    unprotected version on my hard drive. (Unless the pages are dynamically
    built at the server, which I couldn't determine easily).

    If the page is valid on your hard drive, uploading it to the server
    should not alter its validity.

    Chris Beall

    Chris Beall, Jan 3, 2006

  3. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Luigi Donatello Asero
    <> spouted in alt.html:

    > How can I Html and CSS validate my
    > password protected pages?

    a) Save a copy separately and validate that
    b) Use an offline validator
    c) Update your site to not require a password from the validator (e.g.
    by IP address)

    --
    Mark Parnell
    Att. Google Groups users - this is your last warning:

    Mark Parnell, Jan 3, 2006
  4. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Chris Beall Guest

    Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:

    > How can I Html and CSS validate my
    > password protected pages?

    Luigi,

    Hmmm, I see that the page you pointed to is .php, hence may be
    dynamically created.

    In this case I would create an unprotected Test subdirectory on the
    server, place the page there, validate it by URL, copy the valid page to
    the protected location and delete the test version.

    Unless it contains instructions for building a Weapon of Mass
    Destruction, the brief time that it is exposed (to someone who can guess
    its filename) would be acceptable.

    Chris Beall

    Chris Beall, Jan 3, 2006
  5. __/ [Mark Parnell] on Tuesday 03 January 2006 04:19 \__

    > Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Luigi Donatello Asero
    > <> spouted in alt.html:
    >
    >> How can I Html and CSS validate my
    >> password protected pages?

    > a) Save a copy separately and validate that
    > b) Use an offline validator
    > c) Update your site to not require a password from the validator (e.g.
    > by IP address)

    Or if you are careful about giving away your private content, strip off text
    (not markup), replacing it with dummies and then validate. Character type
    validity might then be the only issue.

    Roy

    Roy Schestowitz, Jan 3, 2006
  6. On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 05:09:15 +0100, Luigi Donatello Asero
    <> wrote:

    > How can I Html and CSS validate my password protected pages?

    HTML: [Ctrl]+[Alt]+[V] in Opera while the page is opened from a local file
    CSS: [Ctrl]+[C] the entire code; open
    <URL:http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator-text.html> and then
    [Ctrl]+[V] in the textbox; or use the upload facility at
    <URL:http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator-upload.html>

    Barbara de Zoete, Jan 3, 2006
  7. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Dylan Parry Guest

    Pondering the eternal question of "Hobnobs or Rich Tea?", Luigi
    Donatello Asero finally proclaimed:

    > How can I Html and CSS validate my
    > password protected pages?

    Not directly. Why not download the Web Developer extension[1] for
    Firefox and then use the "Validate Local HTML" option[2]. This also has
    the benefit of adding loads of other fun tools that will help you with
    other problems[3].
    _____
    [1] http://chrispederick.com/work/webdeveloper/
    [2] Under the "tools" menu on the Web Developer extension toolbar
    [3] Eg. Disabling images, disabling certain CSS rules etc

    --
    Dylan Parry

    Disclaimer: This post does not represent the opinion of me or my cats.

    Dylan Parry, Jan 3, 2006
  8. "Dylan Parry" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > Pondering the eternal question of "Hobnobs or Rich Tea?", Luigi
    > Donatello Asero finally proclaimed:
    >
    > > How can I Html and CSS validate my
    > > password protected pages?

    > Not directly. Why not download the Web Developer extension[1] for
    > Firefox and then use the "Validate Local HTML" option[2]. This also has
    > the benefit of adding loads of other fun tools that will help you with
    > other problems[3].
    > _____
    > [1] http://chrispederick.com/work/webdeveloper/
    > [2] Under the "tools" menu on the Web Developer extension toolbar
    > [3] Eg. Disabling images, disabling certain CSS rules etc

    This time I seem to have got very interesting answers from everybody.
    Actually, I have just downloaded Firefox because IE seems to be especially
    vulnerable these days
    and Microsoft has not published a patch yet.
    But I know Firefox very little.
    Where do I find the Web Developer extension?

    --
    Luigi Donatello Asero
    https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/oversattning.php

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Jan 3, 2006
  9. "Roy Schestowitz" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > __/ [Mark Parnell] on Tuesday 03 January 2006 04:19 \__
    >
    > > Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Luigi Donatello Asero
    > > <> spouted in alt.html:
    > >
    > >> How can I Html and CSS validate my
    > >> password protected pages?

    > > a) Save a copy separately and validate that
    > > b) Use an offline validator
    > > c) Update your site to not require a password from the validator (e.g.
    > > by IP address)

    The offline validator would be an option but how much does it cost?
    And which way of payment is accepted?

    > Or if you are careful about giving away your private content, strip off

    text
    > (not markup), replacing it with dummies and then validate. Character type
    > validity might then be the only issue.

    This would also be a good solution.

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Jan 3, 2006
  10. "Chris Beall" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    >
    > > How can I Html and CSS validate my
    > > password protected pages?

    > Luigi,
    >
    > Hmmm, I see that the page you pointed to is .php, hence may be
    > dynamically created.
    >
    > In this case I would create an unprotected Test subdirectory on the
    > server, place the page there, validate it by URL, copy the valid page to
    > the protected location and delete the test version.
    >
    > Unless it contains instructions for building a Weapon of Mass
    > Destruction, the brief time that it is exposed (to someone who can guess
    > its filename) would be acceptable.

    Although the content is peaceful, there are curious people and machines
    these days (see robots)...
    which try and see and read and save everything they can...
    and I am considering to sell a part of this information to users, that will
    say password to read the content for a certain period afterwards..

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Jan 3, 2006
  11. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Luigi Donatello Asero
    <> spouted in alt.html:
    > "Dylan Parry" <> skrev i meddelandet
    >>
    >> [1] http://chrispederick.com/work/webdeveloper/

    > Where do I find the Web Developer extension?

    At the link Dylan provided above.

    Mark Parnell, Jan 3, 2006
  12. "Barbara de Zoete" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 05:09:15 +0100, Luigi Donatello Asero
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > How can I Html and CSS validate my password protected pages?

    > HTML: [Ctrl]+[Alt]+[V] in Opera while the page is opened from a local file
    > CSS: [Ctrl]+[C] the entire code; open
    > <URL:http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator-text.html> and then
    > [Ctrl]+[V] in the textbox; or use the upload facility at
    > <URL:http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator-upload.html>

    Does Opera cost anything?
    Which are the technical requirements?
    I do not have any powerful processor on this computer and I have already
    installed
    2 browsers (IE and Firefox)

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Jan 3, 2006
  13. On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 00:42:20 +0100, Luigi Donatello Asero
    <> wrote:

    > Does Opera cost anything?

    You're joking right? Don't you read posts outside the threads that you
    start yourself?

    > Which are the technical requirements?

    Google for that, or take a shortcut and go to Opera's site.

    > I do not have any powerful processor on this computer and I have already
    > installed 2 browsers (IE and Firefox)

    How do you author sites with only those two browsers to test in, and sleep
    at night?

    Barbara de Zoete, Jan 3, 2006
  14. "Barbara de Zoete" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 00:42:20 +0100, Luigi Donatello Asero
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > Does Opera cost anything?

    > You're joking right? Don't you read posts outside the threads that you
    > start yourself?

    I only read a little part of them and usually read more
    only if my name is mentioned.
    The reason is simple:
    My name is already mentioned so many times that I do not have the time to
    read more in many cases.

    > > Which are the technical requirements?

    > Google for that, or take a shortcut and go to Opera's site.

    Fine. Please remember that you never need answer my questions if you do not
    want to.

    > > I do not have any powerful processor on this computer and I have already
    > > installed 2 browsers (IE and Firefox)

    > How do you author sites with only those two browsers to test in, and sleep
    > at night?

    I have not slept much at night, lately
    Why do you want to get personal information about me?

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Jan 4, 2006
  15. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Mark Parnell, Jan 4, 2006
  16. "Mark Parnell" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Luigi Donatello Asero
    > <> spouted in alt.html:
    > > "Dylan Parry" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > >>
    > >> [1] http://chrispederick.com/work/webdeveloper/

    > > Where do I find the Web Developer extension?

    > At the link Dylan provided above.

    Has Chris Pederick helped Mozilla to develop Firefox or
    why is this extension for Firefox on another site than Mozilla┬┤s?
    Or is perhaps a part of the Mozilla project developed free by volunteers?

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Jan 4, 2006
  17. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Luigi Donatello Asero
    <> spouted in alt.html:

    > Does Opera cost anything?

    No.

    > Which are the technical requirements?

    Less than IE or FF at a rough guess.
    http://opera.com/

    Mark Parnell, Jan 4, 2006
  18. Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    <snip>
    >>>I do not have any powerful processor on this computer and I have already
    >>>installed 2 browsers (IE and Firefox)

    >>How do you author sites with only those two browsers to test in, and sleep
    >>at night?

    > I have not slept much at night, lately
    > Why do you want to get personal information about me?

    She does not REALLY want to know your sleep patterns or if your PJ's
    with the hatch in the back, it is an expression meaning 'rest easy' or
    'not be concerned' or in other words with such little testing your
    SHOULD be worried...

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Jan 4, 2006
  19. Mark Parnell wrote:

    > Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Luigi Donatello Asero
    > <> spouted in alt.html:
    >
    >>"Dylan Parry" <> skrev i meddelandet
    >>
    >>>[1] http://chrispederick.com/work/webdeveloper/

    >>Where do I find the Web Developer extension?

    > At the link Dylan provided above.

    Also for future reference, in Firefox's menu, 'Tools|Extensions' and in
    the lower-right corner of the Extensions dialog box is a link _Get More
    Extensions_

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------

    Jonathan N. Little, Jan 4, 2006
  20. "Jonathan N. Little" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    > <snip>
    > > I have not slept much at night, lately
    > > Why do you want to get personal information about me?
    > >

    > She does not REALLY want to know your sleep patterns or if your PJ's
    > with the hatch in the back, it is an expression meaning 'rest easy' or
    > 'not be concerned' or in other words with such little testing your
    > SHOULD be worried...

    In this case, my suggestion is to relax....

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Jan 4, 2006