HTML and CSS validation of password protected pages

Chris Beall

Luigi said:
How can I Html and CSS validate my
password protected pages?

Luigi,

I would use the "Validate by file upload" option, pointing to the
unprotected version on my hard drive. (Unless the pages are dynamically
built at the server, which I couldn't determine easily).

If the page is valid on your hard drive, uploading it to the server
should not alter its validity.

Chris Beall

Mark Parnell

Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Luigi Donatello Asero
How can I Html and CSS validate my
password protected pages?

a) Save a copy separately and validate that
b) Use an offline validator
c) Update your site to not require a password from the validator (e.g.
by IP address)

Chris Beall

Luigi said:
How can I Html and CSS validate my
password protected pages?

Luigi,

Hmmm, I see that the page you pointed to is .php, hence may be
dynamically created.

In this case I would create an unprotected Test subdirectory on the
server, place the page there, validate it by URL, copy the valid page to
the protected location and delete the test version.

Unless it contains instructions for building a Weapon of Mass
Destruction, the brief time that it is exposed (to someone who can guess
its filename) would be acceptable.

Chris Beall

Roy Schestowitz

__/ [Mark Parnell] on Tuesday 03 January 2006 04:19 \__
Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Luigi Donatello Asero

a) Save a copy separately and validate that
b) Use an offline validator
c) Update your site to not require a password from the validator (e.g.
by IP address)

Or if you are careful about giving away your private content, strip off text
(not markup), replacing it with dummies and then validate. Character type
validity might then be the only issue.

Roy

Barbara de Zoete

How can I Html and CSS validate my password protected pages?

HTML: [Ctrl]+[Alt]+[V] in Opera while the page is opened from a local file
CSS: [Ctrl]+[C] the entire code; open
<URL:http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator-text.html> and then
[Ctrl]+[V] in the textbox; or use the upload facility at
<URL:http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator-upload.html>

Dylan Parry

Pondering the eternal question of "Hobnobs or Rich Tea?", Luigi
Donatello Asero finally proclaimed:
How can I Html and CSS validate my
password protected pages?

Not directly. Why not download the Web Developer extension[1] for
Firefox and then use the "Validate Local HTML" option[2]. This also has
the benefit of adding loads of other fun tools that will help you with
other problems[3].
_____
[1] http://chrispederick.com/work/webdeveloper/
[2] Under the "tools" menu on the Web Developer extension toolbar
[3] Eg. Disabling images, disabling certain CSS rules etc

Luigi Donatello Asero

Dylan Parry said:
Pondering the eternal question of "Hobnobs or Rich Tea?", Luigi
Donatello Asero finally proclaimed:
How can I Html and CSS validate my
password protected pages?

Not directly. Why not download the Web Developer extension[1] for
Firefox and then use the "Validate Local HTML" option[2]. This also has
the benefit of adding loads of other fun tools that will help you with
other problems[3].
_____
[1] http://chrispederick.com/work/webdeveloper/
[2] Under the "tools" menu on the Web Developer extension toolbar
[3] Eg. Disabling images, disabling certain CSS rules etc

This time I seem to have got very interesting answers from everybody.
Actually, I have just downloaded Firefox because IE seems to be especially
vulnerable these days
and Microsoft has not published a patch yet.
But I know Firefox very little.
Where do I find the Web Developer extension?

Luigi Donatello Asero

Roy Schestowitz said:
__/ [Mark Parnell] on Tuesday 03 January 2006 04:19 \__
Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Luigi Donatello Asero

a) Save a copy separately and validate that
b) Use an offline validator
c) Update your site to not require a password from the validator (e.g.
by IP address)

The offline validator would be an option but how much does it cost?
And which way of payment is accepted?
Or if you are careful about giving away your private content, strip off text
(not markup), replacing it with dummies and then validate. Character type
validity might then be the only issue.

This would also be a good solution.

Luigi Donatello Asero

Chris Beall said:
Luigi,

Hmmm, I see that the page you pointed to is .php, hence may be
dynamically created.

In this case I would create an unprotected Test subdirectory on the
server, place the page there, validate it by URL, copy the valid page to
the protected location and delete the test version.

Unless it contains instructions for building a Weapon of Mass
Destruction, the brief time that it is exposed (to someone who can guess
its filename) would be acceptable.

Although the content is peaceful, there are curious people and machines
these days (see robots)...
which try and see and read and save everything they can...
and I am considering to sell a part of this information to users, that will
say password to read the content for a certain period afterwards..

Luigi Donatello Asero

Barbara de Zoete said:
How can I Html and CSS validate my password protected pages?

HTML: [Ctrl]+[Alt]+[V] in Opera while the page is opened from a local file
CSS: [Ctrl]+[C] the entire code; open
<URL:http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator-text.html> and then
[Ctrl]+[V] in the textbox; or use the upload facility at
<URL:http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator-upload.html>

Does Opera cost anything?
Which are the technical requirements?
I do not have any powerful processor on this computer and I have already
installed
2 browsers (IE and Firefox)

Barbara de Zoete

Does Opera cost anything?

You're joking right? Don't you read posts outside the threads that you
start yourself?
Which are the technical requirements?

Google for that, or take a shortcut and go to Opera's site.
I do not have any powerful processor on this computer and I have already
installed 2 browsers (IE and Firefox)

How do you author sites with only those two browsers to test in, and sleep
at night?

Luigi Donatello Asero

Barbara de Zoete said:
You're joking right? Don't you read posts outside the threads that you
start yourself?

I only read a little part of them and usually read more
only if my name is mentioned.
The reason is simple:
My name is already mentioned so many times that I do not have the time to
read more in many cases.
Google for that, or take a shortcut and go to Opera's site.

Fine. Please remember that you never need answer my questions if you do not
want to.
How do you author sites with only those two browsers to test in, and sleep
at night?

I have not slept much at night, lately
Why do you want to get personal information about me?

Luigi Donatello Asero

Dylan Parry said:

Where do I find the Web Developer extension?

At the link Dylan provided above.

Has Chris Pederick helped Mozilla to develop Firefox or
why is this extension for Firefox on another site than Mozilla´s?
Or is perhaps a part of the Mozilla project developed free by volunteers?

Jonathan N. Little

Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
I have not slept much at night, lately
Why do you want to get personal information about me?

She does not REALLY want to know your sleep patterns or if your PJ's
with the hatch in the back, it is an expression meaning 'rest easy' or
'not be concerned' or in other words with such little testing your
SHOULD be worried...

Luigi Donatello Asero

Jonathan N. Little said:
Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:

She does not REALLY want to know your sleep patterns or if your PJ's
with the hatch in the back, it is an expression meaning 'rest easy' or
'not be concerned' or in other words with such little testing your
SHOULD be worried...

In this case, my suggestion is to relax....