HTML5

Jan C. Faerber

Only if you have a world with the only colors
red and yellow,
then you can not use lamps with greens bulbs for a normal life.

Wait - that remembered me of the movie
Basquiat (1996) by Julian Schnabl.
There was a scene where Andy Warhol
guided a man to piss on a orange foil which
was of a certain material (I forgot the name).
The man was told to drink some bottles of a
special beer - was it irish beer? It does not matter.
Andy Warhol wanted to see the change of the foil's color
were the piss of the man who drunk the irish beer
came down.
I think in this place you could also use a green bulb
in addition to red and yellow.
Yes - I think he expected to get a nice green on the orange foil.

dorayme

Ben C said:
Yes, that's the question really. I don't think it is logically possible
to have red and yellow without orange.

But blue and yellow without grey? Less obviously logically impossible.
But now look at this picture: http://www.tidraso.co.uk/misc/squares.png.

If you move back from the screen a bit, it looks like a grey square.
Close-up you can see the blue and yellow. So choose a distance where you
can see blue and yellow and grey, and look at the picture and ask again
if a world with blue and yellow but not grey is possible.

Nice case. Some people might find it helpful to look at it under zoom in
Opera at 600%!

How to answer your question though? What world would make the answer
Yes? I don't know. If I said a world where such a square never looked
grey to anyone, it just always looked blue or yellow or both, this might
be like saying there could be a world in which pigs could fly. (They
would not be pigs as we know them, they might be powered kites in pig
costumes and this sort of muddies the waters)

dorayme

"Jan C. Faerber said:
On 3 Sep., 12:12, dorayme

sorry - I forgot the 'a'

No, please, that is perfectly OK - unlike using a capital D - all
permutations of any (not necessarily all) of the letters are OK
including where nothing at all appears.

Neredbojias

Actually, that's bollocks. We are constrained by the number of
keystrokes that it is possible within the given timeframe.

Bollocks back. The constraint of the timeframe you mention is
artificially established and exists only in the reality of our
fantasies.

asdf

Neredbojias said:
Bollocks back. The constraint of the timeframe you mention is
artificially established and exists only in the reality of our
fantasies.
[snip]

....only as we approach the speed of light (in theory).

For all *practical* purposes, time, and what it is physically possible to do
*within* that time is finite, and therefore a constraint.

One's own lifespan is a time constraint and is absolute, if imprecise. How
one chooses to use up that resource (lifespan) per problem, defines time
constraints for that problem.

Ganesh

Still works for me. Maybe you had a full-stop on the end of the URL.

It works... but the one above at your old post originally mentioned
did not work from google.groups.com

dorayme

Ben C said:

I think looking at the squares, it's no longer possible to imagine that
you could have blue and yellow without grey. But before you look at
them, for many people, it is fairly easy to imagine.

But red and yellow without orange are harder to imagine, even without
looking at a similar demonstration.
It is easy to imagine a world that has red and yellow but no orange but
there is a great difficulty in imagining a world that had these but
where it was not empirically possibly to have orange. What would one
imagine? A cruel ruler who executed people if they were about to mix
yellow and red paint together or scientists who played with light etc?
Or other odd things like the world blowing up if the merest hint of
orange threatened to appear in what we in this world would regard as
perfectly natural circumstances.
I think this is similar to: 1 + 1 = 3 is impossible to imagine for most
people, even for a second. But 34 * 2433185 = 82728280 is easy enough to
imagine,

Is it really so easy to imagine in fact? What is being imagined? A quiz
show scene perhaps where the contestant says "82728280" and there is a
silence and the compere looks uncomfortable and apologetic and says,
"I'm afraid not!" and the audience sighs with disappointment, the
contestant dejected? I reckon the truth or untruth of some things are
something beyond imagination, the meaning of "true" and "false" and "34"
and "+" etc are understood well enough, but that does not mean that
where they are all put together in a meaningful statement, there is
created something that can be penetrated by an act of imagination.
until it is demonstrated to you that it can't be so (it's
82728290), perhaps by showing on paper what the correct answer is.

You can think it true and be shown it false, yes.
Why is it similar? There are many things in the world that some people
call orange and others red, and the same goes for orange and yellow. The
concepts overlap. For this reason, red + yellow = orange is almost as
intuitive as 1 + 1 = 2. You cannot really understand the word orange at
all without understanding red and yellow.

Not quite sure of this? But perhaps you are saying that the idea of red
and yellow contain in them the idea of variation. Some reds are more
yellowish and some yellows are more reddish and it is hard to understand
either idea without this flexibility. And, perhaps you are saying, this
flexibility, delivers the idea of orange. It pops out of the concepts of
red and yellow!

I am getting a 'not found' and no, there is no stop at the end! <g>

The other interesting thing here is the relationship between colours.
It's easy to sit back and think redness could hardly be more different
from greenness-- they "feel" like absolute primary concepts, some of the
lowest-level building blocks of perception (and we do know you have red,
green and blue cones in your eye). But in another way all the colours
are related to each other, just like numbers.

In general, the world is a complicated place and we have got this far by
our brains evolving to be on top of the things that are needed for
survival, all else is a marvellous plus of course, but we cannot push
our luck with the simple mechanisms of imagination.

Quantum physics is one of the most successful theories (and predicting
machine) ever built by man and no one the least understands it on the
level of imaginative grasp! I have heard recently an interesting
argument that biology needs to go down the path of theory that is not
easy to understand in terms of imagination (my paraphrase, of course).
The idea is that we need to jump a level or two away from the mechanical
pictures we have of biological processes to *really understand* them so
we better get a handle on continuing problems of how biological systems
are so sustaining and self organised...

I hasten to add that none of this is criticising anything you have said.
I just take the opportunity to rant on a bit!

Jan C. Faerber

That is because of the RGB visualisation of the screen.
So you have blue and yellow and you can fade the light:
If you use more light any color is getting to white.
If you low down the light any color seems to become simply black.
It is easy to imagine a world that has red and yellow but no orange but
there is a great difficulty in imagining a world that had these but
where it was not empirically possibly to have orange. What would one
imagine? A cruel ruler who executed people if they were about to mix
yellow and red paint together or scientists who played with light etc?
Or other odd things like the world blowing up if the merest hint of
orange threatened to appear in what we in this world would regard as
perfectly natural circumstances.

In America you can even join the army with a color-blindness.
I saw a young man on TV who was enthusastic to join the army
after 9/11 and he said because of his color-blindness he will
just do a simple office job and not the full programm as any other
solder.

So you can live with a handycap and tell other people how to cope with
it.

An interesting philosophical question is how 0 gets 1.
You can think it true and be shown it false, yes.

Not quite sure of this? But perhaps you are saying that the idea of red
and yellow contain in them the idea of variation. Some reds are more
yellowish and some yellows are more reddish and it is hard to understand
either idea without this flexibility. And, perhaps you are saying, this
flexibility, delivers the idea of orange. It pops out of the concepts of
red and yellow!

Red and yellow is not a concept.
Quantum physics is one of the most successful theories (and predicting
machine) ever built by man and no one the least understands it on the
level of imaginative grasp!

A machine? Why?

Not anybody is willing to understand this 'new' part of physics.
Here you have the birth of new universes.
(Maybe they have different times. I don't know.)
I think on the most deep level of the universe
where small bubbles come up and fade out or sometimes
become bigger and build galaxies and universes
- there you reach the end of time and the end of space.

Jan C. Faerber

A machine? Why?

Oh yes, the quantum computer.
I read the article in english wiki now. Just an overflow reading.
Seems to be useful to open any security key.
They have problems with incoherence.

dorayme

"Jan C. Faerber said:
Oh yes, the quantum computer.

No, Newtonian mechanics is also a great predicting machine in the sense
I meant: simply that you can put in inputs and it produces useful and
accurate enough outputs...

Gus Richter

Ganesh said:
But they use <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en-
us" lang="en-us"> .. that's strange

Not strange at all. Read the specs of HTML5 thoroughly.
<http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/introduction.html#html-vs-xhtml>
The same doctype (there is only one) is used for MIME type text/html or
for application/xhtml+xml . The Google Search page is HTML with a MIME
type of text/html. In Apple's case, it is an XHTML document and the
header is sending a MIME type of text/html . They are _not_ sending an
XML document which would have required application/xhtml+xml to be sent.

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Gus Richter
Not strange at all. Read the specs of HTML5 thoroughly.
<http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/introduction.html#html-vs-xhtml>
The same doctype (there is only one) is used for MIME type text/html
or for application/xhtml+xml . The Google Search page is HTML with a
MIME type of text/html. In Apple's case, it is an XHTML document and
the header is sending a MIME type of text/html . They are _not_
sending an XML document which would have required
application/xhtml+xml to be sent.

Right, and Apple should be serving application text/html+xml if they are
using XHTML syntax.

Gus Richter

Adrienne said:
Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Gus Richter

Right, and Apple should be serving application text/html+xml if they are
using XHTML syntax.

Perhaps if you read my last two sentences in reverse order it will make
it clearer?. ;-)

If on the other hand you are outright contradicting what I have said,
then you are wrong. There is _no_ XML requirement within the document
(SVG or whatnot, which would have required it to be XHTML5 and therefore
then served up as application/xhtml+xml), so it is HTML5 and served up
as text/html - an HTML document with XHTML syntax and if SVG, for
example, is included at some later date, the MIME type only needs to be
changed.
<http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/introduction.html#html-vs-xhtml>
HTML5 is intended to replace the previous HTML4.01 and XHTML1.0 .

Roy A.

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Gus Richter
<[email protected]> writing in

Right, and Apple should be serving application text/html+xml

They could be using "application/xhtml+xml" if it is intended to be a
"polyglot document", i.e. a document that may be served as either HTML
or XHTML. There no text mime types named "text/html+xml", it is either
"text/html" or "text/xml".
if they are
using XHTML syntax.

The *HTML namespace* is "http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" and the xmlns
attribute is currently allowed on any element in HTML 5 when using
HTML syntax. When using HTML serialization the elements is
automatically put in the HTML namespace. And elements from MathML and
SVG are automatically put in those namespaces. Trailing slashes is
also allowed when using HTML syntax.

"The HTML serialization refers to the syntax of an HTML document
defined in HTML5. The syntax is inspired by the SGML syntax from
earlier versions of HTML, bits of XML (e.g. allowing a trailing slash
on void elements, xmlns attributes), and reality of deployed content
on the Web."
<http://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/FAQ#What_is_an_HTML_Serialization.3F>

dorayme

Ben C said:
It's no coincidence either that microbiology works on just about the
scale where quantum effects are just starting to become significant.
It's been suggested for example that a quantum-mechanical description
might help to explain protein folding. I doubt that life-forms are
purely classical machines.

Very possibly there is a connection, good point. But that they are not
"classical" machines is a distinct point and it may be that some other
value for x in "x-mechanical description" might arise - leaving any
reductions or synthesis between the biological and the fundamental
physics for an even later period of science.