I am having problems installing PDL using CPAN

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Jeff Silverman, Nov 11, 2003.

  1. I am running Perl 5.8.0 on a RedHat 9 machine (2.4.20-20.9smp #1
    Kernel). I am trying to install PDL using CPAN. So, as root, I give
    the command

    perl -MCPAN -e shell

    and then the subcommant

    install PDL.

    So then it generates lots and lots of messages about things going well,
    and then it says:

    * Gentle warning from PDL::IO::Misc: *

    Hmmm. You don't appear to have the Astro::FITS::Header module installed.
    You'll be able to read and write FITS files anyway, but FITS support is
    greatly improved if you install it.

    You can get the latest Astro::FITS::Header module from CPAN --
    point your browser at http://www.cpan.org.

    Makefile:93: *** missing separator. Stop.
    /usr/bin/make -- NOT OK
    Running make test
    Can't test without successful make
    Running make install
    make had returned bad status, install seems impossible

    cpan>

    If I go into the /root/.cpan/build/PDL-2.4.0 and run

    perl Makefile.PL

    then it creates a makefile, but when I give the command

    make

    make ends immediately, saying Makefile:93: *** missing separator. Stop.
    So I looked at the makefile and there is something weird at line 93.
    Here is an excerpt from the Makefile:

    INSTALLBIN = /usr/bin'
    installhtml1dir=''
    installhtml3dir=''
    installman1
    INSTALLSITEBIN = /usr
    INSTALLVENDORBIN = /usr/bin'
    installvendorhtml1=''
    installvendorhtml3=''
    installvendorlib='/u
    INSTALLSCRIPT = /usr/bin
    PERL_LIB = /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0
    PERL_ARCHLIB = /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi
    SITELIBEXP = '/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl'
    sit
    SITEARCHEXP = /usr/lib/pe
    LIBPERL_A = libperl.a'
    libc='

    I don't see any setting the perldl.conf file. Any other ideas, please?

    Many thanks,

    Jeff

    Jeff Silverman, Nov 11, 2003