IE Web Controls Server Deployment

CW

I am just wondering whether web host actually needs to compile IE Web
Controls in order for uploaded asp.net application to work correctly.

My webhost has advised that they have webctrl_client in the wwwroot
directory. In the app I uploaded, Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.dll sits in
the bin directory.

However, when displayed, treeview only shows text content, but not the
structure. In my experience on the dev box, this happens when I haven't
compiled IE Web Client.

I guess my question is whether I need to get the webhost to download IE Web
Controls and install it as well?

Thanks in advance

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi CW,

As for the IE Web Controls 's deployment problem you mentioned, I think
compiled the code on the server is
unnecessary. In fact, the IE Web control's installation only create the
folders contain the source code and resources files(image, script...) on
the machine. And when we deploying our application onto server, the only
things we need to do is :
1. Provide the IE WebControl's assembly in the web application's bin folder
2. Make sure put the IE WebControl's other resources files under the
website 's root/webctrl_client folder.

Since you deploy your application on a public web host, I think you may ask
the web host to have a check whether the static resources has correctly put
under the websites where your application host in.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Get Preview at ASP.NET whidbey

CW

Hi Steve

I just rang my web host trying to resolve the problem. According to the tech
support person I talked to, he claimed that their IIS installation doesn't
have a wwwroot directory. Can you please verify if this is correct? He
advised me to put the webctrl_client folder into my IIS application
directory. It did not make any difference. I think the support staff doesn't
know what he's talking about because as far as I understand, IIS
installation always would install a wwwroot directory. If you could confirm,
I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

CW

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi CW,

Thanks for your followup. BAsed on your further description, here are some
of my viewpoints:

1. As you mentioned that your web host's support guy claim that there is no
"wwwroot" dir on their server, yes? Maybe he's write , because he {sys
dir}:\inetput\wwwroot is the default installation position of the IIS's
default site. We can manually change it to point to another physical path
on the servrer. So as for this point, you can ask him to confirm that which
WEB SITE(server can have multi sites) is your web application hosted in
and where is that WEB SITE's Root directory .

2. And as for the following things,
=============
He advised me to put the webctrl_client folder into my IIS application
directory
=============
I think maybe the support guy is not very familiar with ASP.NET or at least
the IE Web Controls. I can confirm that the webctrl_client folder (together
with the resources under it) must be put under the WEB SITE(not web
application) 's root folder.

If you meet any other questions, please feel free to post here. Thanks.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Get Preview at ASP.NET whidbey

CW

Hi Steve

Is there anyway I could use some script to check whether the directory
assigned to me is a site/virtual directory vs the default website?

The web host is getting terribly confused when I tell them that
webctrl_client must sit under the default www directory. I think they are
mixing up the concept of a site, vs a directory, vs a subweb and the default
website. Is there anyway I can use a vbscript to determine whether the root
directory assigned to me is actually also the root of the default website?

Thanks

CW

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi CW,

As I've mentioned in the former reply, the "wwwroot" is the default root
for the IIS's default site. And this can be changed to anyother place( for
security reasons). Also, a server can have many websites inaddition to the
default site. And we just need to know where our web application locate
in(in which site) and ask the web host to put the IE WEBCONTROLS' resource
files under the "webctrl_client" folder under that site's root folder.

And you can also use the "Server.MapPath" method to get the physical path
in your page's code. For example:
//get the website 's root folder physical path
string siteroot = Server.MapPath("/");

//get your application's root folder's physical path
string approot = Server.MapPath(~/");

Thanks.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Get Preview at ASP.NET whidbey

Norm

I had this very same issue on a web site that is hosted by another company.
To resolve it, I just needed to make sure that the webctrl_client folder was
in the root directory for my web site that was assigned to me by the hosting
company. It doesn't go in the Application folder, like Steven Cheng
mentioned. It goes in the main/root directory for your website. Usually, this
is the directory that you open up when you ftp to your site.