    I guess my question is whether I need to get the webhost to download IE Web
    Controls and install it as well?

    Thanks in advance
    CW, Sep 14, 2004

  2. Hi CW,

    As for the IE Web Controls 's deployment problem you mentioned, I think
    compiled the code on the server is
    unnecessary. In fact, the IE Web control's installation only create the
    folders contain the source code and resources files(image, script...) on
    the machine. And when we deploying our application onto server, the only
    things we need to do is :
    1. Provide the IE WebControl's assembly in the web application's bin folder
    2. Make sure put the IE WebControl's other resources files under the
    website 's root/webctrl_client folder.

    Since you deploy your application on a public web host, I think you may ask
    the web host to have a check whether the static resources has correctly put
    under the websites where your application host in.

    Regards,

    Steven Cheng
    Microsoft Online Support

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
    rights.)

    Get Preview at ASP.NET whidbey
    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Sep 14, 2004

  3. CW

    CW Guest

    Hi Steve

    I just rang my web host trying to resolve the problem. According to the tech
    support person I talked to, he claimed that their IIS installation doesn't
    have a wwwroot directory. Can you please verify if this is correct? He
    advised me to put the webctrl_client folder into my IIS application
    directory. It did not make any difference. I think the support staff doesn't
    know what he's talking about because as far as I understand, IIS
    installation always would install a wwwroot directory. If you could confirm,
    I'd appreciate it.

    Thanks

    CW

    CW, Sep 15, 2004
  4. Hi CW,

    Thanks for your followup. BAsed on your further description, here are some
    of my viewpoints:

    1. As you mentioned that your web host's support guy claim that there is no
    "wwwroot" dir on their server, yes? Maybe he's write , because he {sys
    dir}:\inetput\wwwroot is the default installation position of the IIS's
    default site. We can manually change it to point to another physical path
    on the servrer. So as for this point, you can ask him to confirm that which
    WEB SITE(server can have multi sites) is your web application hosted in
    and where is that WEB SITE's Root directory .

    2. And as for the following things,
    =============
    He advised me to put the webctrl_client folder into my IIS application
    directory
    =============
    I think maybe the support guy is not very familiar with ASP.NET or at least
    the IE Web Controls. I can confirm that the webctrl_client folder (together
    with the resources under it) must be put under the WEB SITE(not web
    application) 's root folder.

    If you meet any other questions, please feel free to post here. Thanks.

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Sep 15, 2004
  5. CW

    CW Guest

    Hi Steve

    Is there anyway I could use some script to check whether the directory
    assigned to me is a site/virtual directory vs the default website?

    The web host is getting terribly confused when I tell them that
    webctrl_client must sit under the default www directory. I think they are
    mixing up the concept of a site, vs a directory, vs a subweb and the default
    website. Is there anyway I can use a vbscript to determine whether the root
    directory assigned to me is actually also the root of the default website?

    Thanks

    CW

    CW, Sep 15, 2004
  6. Hi CW,

    As I've mentioned in the former reply, the "wwwroot" is the default root
    for the IIS's default site. And this can be changed to anyother place( for
    security reasons). Also, a server can have many websites inaddition to the
    default site. And we just need to know where our web application locate
    in(in which site) and ask the web host to put the IE WEBCONTROLS' resource
    files under the "webctrl_client" folder under that site's root folder.

    And you can also use the "Server.MapPath" method to get the physical path
    in your page's code. For example:
    //get the website 's root folder physical path
    string siteroot = Server.MapPath("/");

    //get your application's root folder's physical path
    string approot = Server.MapPath(~/");

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Sep 16, 2004
  7. CW

    Norm Guest

    I had this very same issue on a web site that is hosted by another company.
    To resolve it, I just needed to make sure that the webctrl_client folder was
    in the root directory for my web site that was assigned to me by the hosting
    company. It doesn't go in the Application folder, like Steven Cheng
    mentioned. It goes in the main/root directory for your website. Usually, this
    is the directory that you open up when you ftp to your site.

    Norm, Nov 12, 2004