iis sometimes stops responding

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Andy Fish, Feb 7, 2005.

  1. Andy Fish

    Andy Fish Guest

    Hi,

    I am developing an asp.net app in C# on winxp pro.

    During a heavy development/debugging session, very occasionally IIS will
    seem to stop responding to asp.net requests. Other non-asp.net stuff works
    but asp.net requests (even for other web apps than the one I'm debugging)
    dont't even appear in the IIS log. If I kill the aspnet_wp.exe it recovers
    and everything is fine again.

    I'm happy to live with a bit of instability in the development environment,
    but if this is going to be a problem when it's deployed I'd like to find out
    about it now.

    Anyone else seen this type of behaviour? anyone care to comment about the
    suitability of asp.net for a 24x7 web application?

    TIA

    Andy

    Andy Fish, Feb 7, 2005

  2. I have worked on numerous 24x7 apps in ASP.NET, without problem. The main
    reason I see apps not working is coding problems. Most of the coding problems
    I have seen are caused by trying to write ASP in ASP.NET rather than making
    the paradigm shift to the ASP.NET methodology. The first place I would
    examine is your code. If you cannot find anything, see if there is budget to
    pull in an ASP.NET expert to fix it and mentor your developers on proper
    ASP.NET methodology.

    ---

    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    ***************************
    Think Outside the Box!
    ***************************

    =?Utf-8?B?Q293Ym95IChHcmVnb3J5IEEuIEJlYW1lcikgLSBN, Feb 7, 2005

  3. Andy Fish

    Andy Fish Guest

    "Cowboy (Gregory A. Beamer) - MVP" <> wrote
    in message news:...
    >I have worked on numerous 24x7 apps in ASP.NET, without problem. The main
    > reason I see apps not working is coding problems. Most of the coding
    > problems
    > I have seen are caused by trying to write ASP in ASP.NET rather than
    > making
    > the paradigm shift to the ASP.NET methodology. The first place I would
    > examine is your code. If you cannot find anything, see if there is budget
    > pull in an ASP.NET expert to fix it and mentor your developers on proper
    > ASP.NET methodology.

    Thanks, that's good to know.

    I'm pretty sure the code is OK - I can see it's not getting as far as
    invoking my Page_load for instance. I have written plenty of large reliable
    apps before and I don't know ASP well enough to have gotten into any bad
    habits :)

    I reckon it's just IIS getting a bit confused with having the debugger
    constantly attach and detach and constantly having to reload the application
    and so on. I get similar symptoms when developing big java apps.

    Andy Fish, Feb 7, 2005