implementation of simple tracking system

vega_lope

Hi guys,

I'm writing a little cgi program in c, which I'd like to use as simple
tracking mechanishm, and I'd like somebody to advise me (or to tell me
somtething about) the usual way of doing it.

For example, I create a simple webpage with a form where the tracking
number is gathered from the user. This form sends such number to the
cgi script, which will lookup and respond accordingly.

But what if I'd like the user to be able to access it's data directly
from the browser--i.e: pasting the tracking number within the url like
this:

http://server.domain/tracking.cgi?no=12345

Should this be ok? I've just noticed within for example UPS's website
the cgi is not seen directly, but still one can access tracking
information by supplying it together with the address, which is what
I'm after to.

Despite on having spent quite a lot of time on google looking for some
documentation to this regard, haven't found any though.

Any comments, hints or clues very welcome.

Regards,