implementation of simple tracking system

Discussion in 'HTML' started by vega_lope@yahoo.es, Nov 20, 2008.

  1. Guest

    Hi guys,

    I'm writing a little cgi program in c, which I'd like to use as simple
    tracking mechanishm, and I'd like somebody to advise me (or to tell me
    somtething about) the usual way of doing it.

    For example, I create a simple webpage with a form where the tracking
    number is gathered from the user. This form sends such number to the
    cgi script, which will lookup and respond accordingly.

    But what if I'd like the user to be able to access it's data directly
    from the browser--i.e: pasting the tracking number within the url like
    this:

    http://server.domain/tracking.cgi?no=12345

    Should this be ok? I've just noticed within for example UPS's website
    the cgi is not seen directly, but still one can access tracking
    information by supplying it together with the address, which is what
    I'm after to.

    Despite on having spent quite a lot of time on google looking for some
    documentation to this regard, haven't found any though.

    Any comments, hints or clues very welcome.

    Regards,

    , Nov 20, 2008