    Actually, my project leader use the first method - code line by line.
    The GUI he developed is not trivial. Now we need to make some
    modification to the GUI. I have to code line by line, correct?

    www, Mar 9, 2007

  2. www

    Guest

    On 9 Mar, 15:19, www <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > In writing Swing GUI programs, I have seen people write the code line by
    > line. I also found that there are a number of Swing GUI development
    > tools available (some are free, some are not). Using those tools, you
    > just need to drag a button, drop to the client platform, etc. And code
    > will be generated for you automatically.
    >
    > I am curious what is advantage/disadvantage for the two choices.
    >
    > Actually, my project leader use the first method - code line by line.
    > The GUI he developed is not trivial. Now we need to make some
    > modification to the GUI. I have to code line by line, correct?

    You probably don't HAVE to but you would be wise to. GUI builders are
    vastly overrated. Your project lead presumably knows this.

    GUI builders can do some terrible things, like absolute positioning of
    widgets. In coding GUIs manually you will get into the habbit of
    laying your GUIs out in groups of components inside panels which will
    make maintainance much easier and enable options for reuse. It is easy
    to neglect this when using WYSIWYG tools.

    Coding swing by hand is not difficult anyway, it is just another API.
    There are some oddities that you will need to pick up, but mostly your
    builder will not help you with these either....

    , Mar 9, 2007